Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times

Advertisements

Moving thread, topic more appropriate to Frugal Living than Self-Sufficiency & Preparedness forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfette13 View Post
I do understand using coupons for purchases to save money and I have done so for many years. What I don't understand are the "Extreme Couponers". Why would anyone need to pay for and receive 150 newspapers on Sunday for coupons for items that they already have 700 of? That is the part I don't understand at all. Is it really necessary to have a "stock pile" of goods stored in your home that will last years?

I'm not saying this is wrong for anyone to do this however I just don't understand spending the money on those things if you are on a limited income and could use that money elsewhere in your budget instead of picking up that 750th package of toilet paper, paper towels or tube of toothpaste.
ever since the extreme couponing show came out, the coupon deals mostly disappeared. in the old days you could make money on deals. now, not often. some people sell their stockpiles. some give away a lot. most of what was shown on the extreme show was not reality in most regions of the country based on store rules of coupon usage. now stores have added limits of multiples of the same coupon so the deals are nowhere near what they were. i'm still living on some of my stockpile but it isn't what it used to be!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
...and can we just all agree that it's pronounced koo-pon????!!!!

When people say "kew-pon" I wish them a slow painful death!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfette13 View Post
I do understand using coupons for purchases to save money and I have done so for many years. What I don't understand are the "Extreme Couponers". Why would anyone need to pay for and receive 150 newspapers on Sunday for coupons for items that they already have 700 of? That is the part I don't understand at all. Is it really necessary to have a "stock pile" of goods stored in your home that will last years?

I'm not saying this is wrong for anyone to do this however I just don't understand spending the money on those things if you are on a limited income and could use that money elsewhere in your budget instead of picking up that 750th package of toilet paper, paper towels or tube of toothpaste.
so you do understand reality and you dont understand the people that dont really exist or exist in very small numbers. the show was fake.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM

But those shows spawned a bunch of other people into the couponing frenzy!

I had to walk out of the grocery store, leaving a whole cart of groceries, because one of the coupon freaks was ahead of me, in the only open lane, using hundreds of coupons with three carts of groceries. The other cashiers, instead of ringing up the rest of us, were all standing around watching this woman get checked out, to see how much she ended up saving.

I politely asked if someone could separate themselves from this spectacle and open the next register, and they did not seem interested, so I told them off, asked for the manager, and told her off, and left all my groceries there in the cart.

I'm sure this is only the beginning, and the worst is yet to come......

Old 08-23-2012, 10:13 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times
I think for a lot fo them it's a high. But I really don't understand the need for 400 boxes of cereal, or "OMG I ONLY have 40 bottles of laundry detergent left, I NEED to get more now".

There was the teen boy who had tons of feminine products (and claimed he had no idea what they were, but hey they were free), or the twin sister who had lots of diapers, but neither had kids or was about to.

I have had some "highs", but I am nowhere near like these people. Over the course of a few months, I managed to get 20-30 boxes of toothpaste and about 20 bottles of deodorant for free. I gave some away to family members.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

I had to look this one up, as I had never thought about it. One online audio clip for pronunciation of coupon: "Koopon, koopon. This kewpon will help me save some money."

Dialect Survey Results

I think if you are in the US and a third of the country says "kewpon", then, no, not everyone agrees with your choice.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 AM

But that one-third are still wrong, and annoying.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I thought extreme couponing was related to hoarding in some way. Some sort of psychological need to accumulate 'stuff'.

I'll use a coupon if it's something I need or want to try. Other than that, no. And I don't buy tons of the things I do use. I'm happy with 3 or 4 packs of TP. I don't want 700 of them. Even if it was a good deal.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I had to look this one up, as I had never thought about it. One online audio clip for pronunciation of coupon: "Koopon, koopon. This kewpon will help me save some money."

Dialect Survey Results

I think if you are in the US and a third of the country says "kewpon", then, no, not everyone agrees with your choice.
Qpon for me...always has been. Then there's Ron White's "coupins" from the blues festival in Michigan.

I am a coupon clipper but not to any kind of an extreme. Maybe some people with large families need to stockpile items or they might not live near a store so they buy a lot of items all at once. I think anything done in an extreme fashion will draw criticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living