Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM

373 posts, read 644,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Again, "we reserve the right" to limit you to 4 coupons does not mean they DO limit people to 4 coupons. And this appears to refer to 4 of the same coupons. I'm sure this lady (and most of the wasky coupons freaks) had 60-70 coupons, but for many different kinds of items. they should have a special checkout lane just for them, so their annoying fetish doesn't affect the rest of us who want to get in and get out.
Shop rites limit is four of the same coupon. But you can use as many coupons as you want. I did use 60 or do coupons for 15-20 different items this week. Shop rite is strict on their policy.

I have told people that have come up behind me that my order will take awhile, however they have been rude to me. I no longer inform them due to the rude responses. I will let people ahead of me before the cashier starts ringing me up, but that is not always feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I never heard of coupons only saving you money when the item is also on sale. I actually thought it was the opposite--some say "offer can't be combined with any other offer" or something like that. But what do I know? I rarely use coupons.

No, a lot of people shop with 20, 30, 50 coupons in one trip. They might not be saving the amount that the freaks on TV save, but they still take up a lot of time in the store, so save their little 30 cents here and 45 cents there.

I consider people to be "extreme couponers" not only when they load up 5 carts and buy huge amounts in bulk for like $.04, but also people who insist on shopping for weekly groceries with something like 50 coupons. That's extreme. I am usually stuck behind them, and they are oh, so proud when they've saved like $11. Whoop-de-doo, I would have PAID the person $11 just to let me ahead of them in line, or to ditch the freakin' coupons.
Apparently not much...

I saved about $60 yesterday using just coupons and my out of pocket expenses were $20. I also got a coupon for $5 off on my next trip. I bought 10-12 body washes, 4-5 hairstyles, a couple laundry detergents, and a bunch of other stuff for $20 bucks.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
Then maybe (seriously) there should be "no coupon" lanes just like they have express lanes? No joking, I would pay a dollar or two just to use such a lane. I understand your point of view with not caring about the people who were rude to you, but I also understand their point of view, and the feeling of wanting to be rude to someone who is holding me up.

Some people have a lot of time and put more value on saving a few dollars.
But some people see time as more valuable and doing all that coupon stuff is not worth the time it takes.
I will almost always pay a little more to do anything quicker, than have it take longer and save a little money.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 PM

Oh and it's only practical to buy what is on sale and then stack a coupon on the item. We buy in stages and we only buy what is on sale. This week I bought no actual food, but I have bought a on of health & beauty products. I have shelving units in my basement and we shop as needed off our stockpile.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:32 PM

I believe in stockpiling too, but it's really to hedge against inflation, and part of my planning for disasters or hard times (remember this thread was originally in the Survival/ self sufficiency forum, and it got moved here). For example, zip loc bags or cotton balls will never be cheaper than they are today; with inflation, they will only go up in price. They don't expire, so why not buy a bunch now, to last several years, and never have to worry about buying them again? I get that, and I do that. I just don't use coupons to do it.

Each time I shop for non-perishable food or supplies, I buy a couple extras for my stockpile. I never run out of things and I'm never one of thse idiots who runs to the grocery store when there's a hurricane or snowstorm warning. I also have big shelves in my basement, and I "shop" there when I have to replenish stuff upstairs. I probably will never have to buy some items ever again in my life, like windex, shower curtain liners, Qtips, kitchen sponges. I figured out how many boxes of tampons I would use between now and menopause, and I never have to buy those again either.

I just can't spare the time and energy and aggravation it would take to use coupons. Some people have that kind of time, and that's fine. I just don't want to be behind them in line.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
I saved about $60 yesterday using just coupons and my out of pocket expenses were $20.
And you probably feel like you've "won" after that. I get it. But I feel like I've "won" when I can get in and out of the grocery story in under 10 minutes. That's like winning the lottery!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
I never heard of coupons only saving you money when the item is also on sale. I actually thought it was the opposite--some say "offer can't be combined with any other offer" or something like that. But what do I know? I rarely use coupons.
at a regular grocery store you would be wise to wait for sales to use coupons. the regular retail price is way too high to get a good deal on. you would have a better shot in a place like walmart or target that have lower regular prices. unless you are getting many of the same things, i dont think you can get good deals if you are using a lot of coupons in one shot. but then there are limits that have been enforced anywhere i have been.

people are so dramatic with their complaints. im in the supermarket several times a week and i think its been over a year since ive waited a significant time for someone with coupons. you are much more likely to be slowed down by old people with checks, poor people with public assistance or just people with a lot of stuff.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:08 PM

My time is important to me. I want to get in & out quickly. Sorry if that sounds "dramatic" but it's a big annoyance to me. If I have a basket of stuff and in looking at the lines, it appears I'll be waiting 5-10 minutes, I put down the basket and get out of there.

I tend to use the self-check outs, but then you always have the inept people ahead of you who can't figure the "contraption" out, or the stinkin' machine keeps saying "please wait for an attendant" after every scanned item. Again, I leave everything there and walk out, telling the worker why, as I'm leaving my pile there. Hey, maybe they'll end up having to hire someone to reshelve things--so I'm helping the economy

It's not like I don't have an a$$load of stuff in my basement to hold me over till a day when it's not crowded, or there isn't someone annoying in line.

Yeesh! I can't imagine going to the grocery store that many times a week! That would be utter torture for me.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I really wonder, if these people are saving money...I see coupons, for items, I can purchase off brand, for cheaper at the Dollar Store, where I routinely purchase cleaning supplies, other items. Bleach, is bleach...you don't need to pay $5 for a bottle, and get $3 off, when you can get a bottle for a $1. And the time spent...really, I think it is almost an OCD issue, and a hoarding issue. I think, in the end, these folks would be better off, with a full time job, rather than saving money on "Sponge Bob Mac and Cheese"...

Old 08-24-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think, in the end, these folks would be better off, with a full time job, rather than saving money on "Sponge Bob Mac and Cheese"...
That's hilarious! Is it okay to Rep a Moderator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living