Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times

Advertisements

I've done it many times and it always worked to my favor. However, times were different back then and I am not sure what I would do in these economic times. It would depend upon my overall economic condition and prospects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I've done it many times and it always worked to my favor. However, times were different back then and I am not sure what I would do in these economic times. It would depend upon my overall economic condition and prospects.
This is my situation now. Economy tanked, any new job would be big pay cut, big as in close to fifty percent and I am sole wage earner. One more year, hopefully, until house is paid off and then I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
This is my situation now. Economy tanked, any new job would be big pay cut, big as in close to fifty percent and I am sole wage earner. One more year, hopefully, until house is paid off and then I can see light at the end of the tunnel.
Very. very difficult decision. If the new position does not work out, then you have a difficult situation. In times like this, my first priority would probably be an economic cushion first. If you have a decent cushion the you can take the risk. Otherwise, I am not sure it would be wise.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Generally speaking, I'll judge a job based on my interview experience, the job description, and the salary.

If they pass my "test", then I accept the job with full faith they are representative of my experience.

If later on, they drastically deviate from the experience (i.e. make me do the job of 2-3 people without a significant raise, pressure me to do something illegal, etc.) and I've tried everything I can to "salvage" the job, then I'll think of "leaving".

I still won't quit at this point.. I'll just revert back to doing what I was originally hired to do or doing the minimum until they terminate me and I'll collect unemployment. By being frugal, I have a large amount of savings to fall back on so I don't care at this point.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,654 times
Yes. Without a shadow of a doubt. I worked at a job I loathed for 9 years and finally quit at the end of June 2011... I've never been happier in my life, since.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:11 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
I dream about quitting my job every day. My husband and I are trying to sell our house now and if it ever sells, we're going to buy a less expensive house so that we can pay it off and I can quit. I daydream about life at that point all the time, especially after I was unemployed for 4 months and had basically the best 4 months of my entire life. We know we can live with less coming in, especially if we don't have such high housing costs.

So, yes, someday I'll quit, and I cannot wait!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
I think about this all the time.

I'm a renter though, so would always have rent. Being single is a plus AND minus. Plus being only me to worry about. Minus being that there is no other income coming in if I can't find something else.

*not to sound like I am saying that if you have a spouse with an income that everything is guaranteed to be okay, I know that's not always the case.

I'm trying to save enough that I can get by for several months or a year, just in case I can't find anything.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
We have did it a few times but were debt-free. We won't have a bundle for retirement but we'll have experiences and memories that others will not. It is hard though even being debt-free because there will still be bills to pay. It is best to scale down your expenses to the minimum and see how much you need to actually survive. That is how we were able to save money by eliminating many things that are "wants" and not "needs" as people have those two mixed up these days and it makes them a slave in the workplace.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
I used to travel 2.5 hour one-way to work, so 5 hours per day, did that for 8 months, and it was the most foolish thing to do. I now commutes 20 mins to work.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sure!

You asked "Would you quit your job that you hate? "
I thought - Why would you stay in a job you hate?
Exactly. If I hated my job, I would quit in a heartbeat. I hate hearing people whine about how much they hate their job, yet do nothing about it. If it is that bad - quit. If you choose to stay (for whatever reason), that's fine - your choice - but stop whining about it. Either do something about it or shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living