Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:11 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,842 times

Advertisements

I quit and it was the best thing I did but another job was more of the same. I was an ICU nurse and things went south when clinton tried to do health care reform. The stress level and work load was unreal and exhausting. As time went on it got worse to what I call dangerous levels. I decided to get out as soon as possible. Now with Obamacare I thank god I am no longer in the field.

I made all the typical mistakes, cc's, car payment, spending frivolously. I changed my ways, stopped spending paid off all debt with a small emergency fund. Used quicken to track my progress along the way. I read during this time Rich Dad, Poor Dad, The Millionaire Next Door and it really helped me view money more like rich people do. Once all the debt was paid off it felt like a ton of bricks was lifted off me. That one step is worth it.

I didn't quit my job yet. Handling money better became a habit. I got a huge personal loan and started a business... panicked and prayed a lot and kept my clunker of a car that drove sideways. Eventually paid down business debt, quit my job but still had fear that something would go wrong and I would have to go back.

For the 1st in along time I feel like I can do some major renovations but now I am scared to spend money because of what is going on in the economy and taxes so I will wait.

I was going to hire another person but decided against it. I have excellent employees who care about the success of the business they work for so instead of hiring along with a little more responsibility I gave them a nice hefty raise.

If anyone is thinking about doing it be sure to make a goal and a plan. This will help make it more tolerable and helps you succeed.

Make a goal and map your plan to get to your goal, be determined because if it can be thrown at you it will, realize that stuff is not worth the peace of heart you are giving up. Get interested in money and taxation and read a lot of finance book even if they are basic. Learn a little about economics too and not from MSMBC either. Beware of the naysayers too. I hope this helps because it can be done.

Last edited by eRayP; 11-24-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,159 times
Thumbs up I quit a job that I loved in Ca.

I quit a good job that I loved to move from a state that I was a bit tired of, to move to a state that I loved, to semi-retire and to start a few small hobby handcrafting and art businesses. It was a gamble that paid off very well, we hit the happiness jackpot in Montana ! We came here with almost nothing and now we own property.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
I've done it too. And learned it is amazing how little you can live just fine without.

Being in a job you hate is NOT worth anything. I remember saying I'd rather be homeless than stay one more day.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
After 6 years on subs I quit. I went to college and worked full-time to support myself [Apartment handyman, pizza cook, tunnel digger, brick-layer]. 4 years later even with a degree I had no better job prospects and was still working minimum-wage jobs. Tossing pizza dough was steady, but not a career.

So I re-enlisted.

After I retired I am now very glad that I did it.

Sometimes I had a very hard time, staying focused living underwater. I was rather dis-enfranchised with the career field.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Wondering if anyone would consider quitting a job they hate? If so, what financial goals would you want to reach before doing so.

For example if you could pay off your home, would that give you incentive to make a work change that might make you happier?

I'm putting this in the FRUGAL section, assuming we're talking about a job change that may mean less pay, which would mean you would have to really put your frugal living skills to the test.
i work for money, not for fun. i dont care if i hate my job as long as im bringing home the benjamins.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:43 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
I used to work in a warehouse that worked us 12-16.5 hours a day. I lost almost 30 pounds when I was there. Also I was in a -10F freezer. I couldn't even remember what day it was by time my 5 day work week was up. I went in one time on my day off and they said "I might as well work since I'm here". Pffft. I walked out....I made easily 35k and more the job before that was less than 24k so it was a huge increase. It wasn't worth it though. I stayed there for 9 months and got the hell out of there. I put my 2 weeks in and the very next day I had my appendix taken out. I called off because I honestly was fed up and figured a day off won't hurt. Well glad I did called off...was about to blow out my appendix. Lol

Way too many hours. I make less now...but the job is a lot better. People always complain about the job sucking. I say I like it...then again 16.5 hour nights are only 8 hours now with the new job. I can work OT when I want compared to being forced 12 to 16hrs a day.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:41 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
If I have a better job lined up, yes.

If not and I can't stand it any longer:

Do the minimum they ask of you until they choose to terminate you so you can collect unemployment afterwards.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:38 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
I think it depends on the level of job "hate". In some level, I hate my current job, but the people I work with are enjoyable and make it bearable and tolerable. It's just that the job duties themselves are dull, boring, and routine, and dealing with the general public as we do can also be a real downer.

On the other hand, I had grown to hate my last job to the point of feeling stressed to within an inch of my life. I cried, drank and ate too much, and the horrible mis-management was insulting my intelligence, killing my self-respect and my spirit. And all of that for very little pay. When you're in a situation like that, you must get out of there no matter how many times people try to tell you "at least you have a job". I thank God daily that he gave me the opportunity to leave. I often feel like my current job saved my life in a way.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I remember saying I'd rather be homeless than stay one more day.
I felt that same way at both my old job - and my former marriage

Old 12-24-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Do the minimum they ask of you until they choose to terminate you so you can collect unemployment afterwards.
I was actually hoping for a layoff or that we would close at my old job, but it never happened. You know things are bad when you're actually hoping they'd fire you!

One day the boss called me into his office - I had that vague hope that maybe they were doing away with my position. Instead, I was given a PROMOTION - Yay! Tons more work loaded on top of an already over-worked me for hardly any more money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living