Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 03:23 AM

132 posts, read 315,458 times

Advertisements

Most of the people I know are not frugal. Instead, they spend lots of money at full retail on material goods, fancy clothes, makeup, eating out and fancy things around the home. They have TONS of possessions and never use coupons or participate in discount programs. They feel that as college educated professionals making good money they deserve the good life and don't want the hassle of living the frugal life.

When they come to my home, or observe my lifestyle of few material possessions, using coupons, wearing inexpensive clothes and splitting meals with my wife when we do eat out and other fruel lifestyle choices, they act like we are crazy. In other cases new people we meet people who could have been good friends dismiss us and phase us out of their lives because of our frugal lifestyle.

Now an easy reply is why would we want to be friends with someone who looks down on us because we are frugal and we should just dump them as friends because of their attitude. But it is not that easy. Other than our dispute about the advantages of a frugal lifestyle we have LOTS OF PERSONAL CHEMISTRY and lots in common with these spend thrift friends. So, what do you think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 03:50 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,692,400 times
If someone is going to refuse to befriend you because you are careful with your money, then they aren't worth being friends with.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:20 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHomeSeller View Post

Now an easy reply is why would we want to be friends with someone who looks down on us because we are frugal and we should just dump them as friends because of their attitude. But it is not that easy.
It IS that easy, if their attitude bothers you that much and if they are truly as judgmental as you claim.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM

14,491 posts, read 20,678,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
If someone is going to refuse to befriend you because you are careful with your money, then they aren't worth being friends with.
Many years ago, someone I knew said to me, that when people with money get together, things click.
Never saw that person again. Very poor use of words.
No telling what his financial status is now, about 20 years later.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 PM

165 posts, read 307,210 times
Quote:
Most of the people I know are not frugal. Instead, they spend lots of money at full retail on material goods, fancy clothes, makeup, eating out and fancy things around the home.

When they come to my home, or observe my lifestyle of few material possessions, using coupons, wearing inexpensive clothes and splitting meals with my wife when we do eat out and other fruel lifestyle choices, they act like we are crazy.
Are you sure you're not just eyeing them, licking your lips and drooling?

Old 12-24-2012, 05:46 PM

19,064 posts, read 27,635,592 times
Probably not "frugal". Fist tight - that's closer. Yes, it does stake its toll. EG, you avoid driving for "not important reason". You are not throwing out parties and such. You do not have much entertainment to provide. You are a "bore", basically.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:29 PM

198 posts, read 484,805 times
I know people at work who are asked to join the group for lunch and decline. That generally only happens twice before people just stop asking. When we moved into our new house the neighbor invited us to their Christmas party. We had other plans and declined. They haven't invited us to anything since.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 PM

165 posts, read 307,210 times
Were they swingers? Because I find this group to be very sensitive.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:13 AM

106,771 posts, read 108,997,702 times
why would anyone want to swap one wife for another.? at least get something you can really use. a new fishing pole, a new atv, new shot gun .
surely there is something better you can swap for then just another wife.

besides why would you want to disappoint 2 women . ha ha ha

Old 12-25-2012, 11:28 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,278,485 times
Quote:
Most of the people I know are not frugal. Instead, they spend lots of money at full retail on material goods, fancy clothes, makeup, eating out and fancy things around the home. They have TONS of possessions and never use coupons or participate in discount programs. They feel that as college educated professionals making good money they deserve the good life and don't want the hassle of living the frugal life.
First of all -- how do you know this? If these types of people are the type to say -- I paid full retail -- I saw it on sale at Macy's but, no, I went to Nordstrom and paid full price -- well these types of people are STUPID and why would you want to hang out with them.

It's been my experience everyone likes getting a deal.

But yes -- you can take frugality too far. If you want friends you have to be open to their lifestyles -- which might include dinner out every once in a while. Nothing wrong with that -- plan for it in your budget.

Reciprocate by having a full on fancy dinner at your house with a say a Mad Men theme -- martinis and charades.

Life is for enjoying, too -- not just amassing money. The two things can be done together. We're proof of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living