Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:23 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times

Advertisements

Not friends, but my daughter is always getting after me because "I'm too cheap". It does get tiresome to listen to her complains has she plays with her Kindle, and goes on about wanting a new Iphone. But I stick to my guns and just ignore the complaines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
OP-if you are going to restaurants and splitting your meal with your wife, please stay home. Don't waste my time or my table space for full paying customers.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
OP-if you are going to restaurants and splitting your meal with your wife, please stay home. Don't waste my time or my table space for full paying customers.
Sometimes my husband and I will split an appetizer or even an entree, but if we split an entree it's because we've both ordered appetizers and/or we're saving room for dessert and/or the portions are outrageously large. We tip as if we ordered two entrees (we do the same if we use a BOGO or Entertainment coupon). If a server has a problem with that, too bad. If a restaurant owner has a problem with it, that's fine. Let us know and we'll spend our money elsewhere next time.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 AM

720 posts, read 1,709,225 times
When we were newleyweds and both working and saving every penny towards a house, we agreed to go on a weekend away to Vermont with a couple in a similar situation. I was so excited to get away, after banking all my paychecks and not eating out, etc. since we were married. Well, they wanted to SHARE a room,(no way) and insisted all the meals be at a greasy spoon nearby. We stayed friends, but never went anywhere with them again. Now that's being CHEAP.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:17 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Sometimes my husband and I will split an appetizer or even an entree, but if we split an entree it's because we've both ordered appetizers and/or we're saving room for dessert and/or the portions are outrageously large. We tip as if we ordered two entrees (we do the same if we use a BOGO or Entertainment coupon). If a server has a problem with that, too bad. If a restaurant owner has a problem with it, that's fine. Let us know and we'll spend our money elsewhere next time.
I would bet, more often than not, the people doing the splitting don't tip well either. I'm like you -- I do tip well. That pays for itself. Since we go to the same places over and over, the wait staff love us and our service is always very good.

Frankly -- what I wish restaurants would start doing is offering half plates. Applebees does this -- and it makes a perfect serving size. They don't halve the price, but still -- better for me.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:53 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Rude.

My senior-citizen parents, who eat out 3-4 times each week for supper, often split an entree because they can't both eat the tremendously large portions that restaurants often serve. They usually order an extra side salad and then split the entree and the side dishes that come with it. I don't think they should have to "stay home" because neither of them can eat a huge portion of food without half of it going to waste. That's an incredibly rude and ignorant thing to say.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,286 times
I haven't lost friends (at least I don't think I have) for being frugal. In fact, I have been way too generous over the years and I think certain friends and some family members have taken advantage of my generosity. So, I have dropped friends for this reason (I wised up). I can think of two friends that I have dropped. One was a neighbor lady friend of mine who spent all her disposible income on her shopping addiction including redecorating her living room every few months. But when it came to us going out to do things together with our kids (she had 3, I had 1), she never had money for it. I really enjoyed her company and we had a lot of good times together, but she almost never had money to go out and do things. I paid for our outings (including for her kids) most of the time. The second friend I dropped (many years ago) would never cough up a few bucks for anything---ever! If a group of us were out at happy hour, it was customary to take turns buying a round---but every time it was his turn to buy, he'd go to the men's room for 15 minutes. It was a definite pattern---and he always managed to get away with it. We always invited him to our Thanksgiving dinners and he'd never bring something to share (not even a small bottle of wine or a salad), but he gorged like there was no tomorrow.

To me frugal is sensible, but cheap is stingey.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Rude.

My senior-citizen parents, who eat out 3-4 times each week for supper, often split an entree because they can't both eat the tremendously large portions that restaurants often serve. They usually order an extra side salad and then split the entree and the side dishes that come with it. I don't think they should have to "stay home" because neither of them can eat a huge portion of food without half of it going to waste. That's an incredibly rude and ignorant thing to say.
Splitting an entree because you can't eat the whole portion is one thing. Splitting an entree because you are cheap is a difference. Let's also not forget that you can take uneaten portions home with you.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 AM

46 posts, read 66,040 times
No not really. Luckily I have friends too who is living frugal. And sometimes, in some reasons if you will look at it - this can even help you gain more friends and helps you kept the real ones

Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Wasn't the OP the same guy complaining in another thread about being in massive credit card debt? That doesn't sound frugal to me. Something's not right here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living