Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM

23,655 posts, read 70,678,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
You can buy digital crock-pots which let you adust both temperature and cooking time.....I have seen them starting in the 35 dollar range.

If your plain-jane crock-pot only has warm-low-high settings, try these solutions: If you are going to be away a long time, and don't want your food to boil try the warm-setting....it actually cooks everything quite well if you are going to have the food cooking 6-10 hours. You can also put the meat in when it is frozen solid and set the CP to warm. I would suggest adding extra water.... but that method leaves the yummy broth tasting not as yummy.
Will look for one of those digital models. Didn't realize they were out there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 AM

16,178 posts, read 32,576,486 times
I used to do this all the time. Here are some of my pics:

In the fray:

The Finished Product:

Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM

524 posts, read 845,776 times
looks familiar! Thanks for the pictures..........

Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,709,728 times
The crockpot is a lot cheaper to operate than an oven. What surprises me is most people only use them in winter(including me). But really, the summer is ideal as they generate very little heat. Guess I am too busy out at the grill to notice. I love to throw a roast into a crockpot with potatoes and carrots to have on a cold night.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 AM

748 posts, read 1,379,158 times
I just saw this idea on Pinterest and am very excited to try it. One woman did this for 30 meals for $150! Buying in bulk does save a lot of money. You spend a few hours putting everything together and you are done! Great for people on the go. I love my crockpot.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,308,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
The crockpot is a lot cheaper to operate than an oven. What surprises me is most people only use them in winter(including me). But really, the summer is ideal as they generate very little heat. Guess I am too busy out at the grill to notice. I love to throw a roast into a crockpot with potatoes and carrots to have on a cold night.
I use mine all year round, but for different things depending on season. In the winter, it's more chilies and hearty stews. In the summer, meats for things like enchiladas or carnitas, rather than whole meals. I like that I can roast a chicken in the summer without heating up the whole house.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM

15,137 posts, read 32,423,160 times
The finished product looks like my freezer, but I use a seal-a-meal for freezing. I just bought a small freezer, it was delivered today, and I'm looking forward to filling it up.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM

69 posts, read 221,335 times
I found the same thing on Pinterest a few months ago. I picked out five different recipes from various cookbooks and websites. It took about four hours total to grocery shop, prep and store the meals. I made triple batches and had 15 meals prepared!

My family always cooks large meals and enjoys leftovers the next day so this really made cooking/cleaning every night almost non-existent!

The only downside.....no matter how delicious the recipes are.....nobody wants to eat crock pot meals every day. We eventually made crock pot meals a once a week thing when we were too tired to cook.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM

524 posts, read 845,776 times
Don't I know it. I'm getting sick of them and there is plenty left down there. How long has it been? Honestly it feels like months and it is all so stew-ish. I tried to mix it up in the freezer by adding packages of hog dogs (husband loves), burgers I preformed, leftover turkey chunks and ham (christmas-we finally finished eating Christmas the other day) and, and, and I've been running out of ideas.

Right now I could REALLY go for a thick steak on the grill with some corn on the cob-sugar sweet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living