Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,536 times

Advertisements

I have found that Walmart is cheaper unless Kroger is having a sale on something, however Kroger has much fresher produce and meat. I usually go to Walmart,Kroger and Meijers they are all within a quarter mile of each other. I pick up the sale items at each one to try and stay within my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
If I want a Walmart-type store, I go to Meijer: far fewer kids running around lacking parental supervision.

Though I'd personally NEVER think of Meijer as a "Walmart-type store".
I always tell people I choose Meijer over Walmart. It just seems Meijers cares. Employees are somewhat responsive and kind. And the products are similiar in price. Definitely Meijer over Walmart. They also don't seem run down. A brand new Walmart will look run down in a matter of years while a Meijer will still have that appeal IMO for many years.

Also the type of people who go to Walmart can be quite sketchy. I can't tell you how many beggars we have seen in a Walmart parking lot. No where else does this happen in our experiences.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I wouldn't buy anything at Walmart that isn't a recognizable brand sealed in packaging by the manufacturer. No produce, meat, milk, eggs, bread, sandwiches made there, etc. Walmart puts an emphasis on getting the cheapest deals it can from purveyors and I don't trust their quality control. Yes, you can get food poisoning from almost anywhere, but I don't see any benefit in pressing my luck.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:10 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
We go to Costco on Tuesday first, and then Smith's (Kroger). I like the meat, and fish better at Smith's. My wife is a coupon queen, so I know we're getting it at a low price.
I cannot shop at Malwart, because they're the leader in low wage, and no benefits for employees for greater corporate profit. Which actually creates a greater burden on others when they seek government aid. Off soapbox.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
I bought some grocery items at Walmart today. Then took the reciept to Kroger to compare the prices for the same or similar items and the Walmart stuff was cheaper. So basically I plan to go to Walmart first to get the items from there that I don't mind buying from them then go to Kroger to get my other things. I have a good idea of what I'd rather buy from each.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:32 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
We go to Costco on Tuesday first, and then Smith's (Kroger). I like the meat, and fish better at Smith's. My wife is a coupon queen, so I know we're getting it at a low price.
I cannot shop at Malwart, because they're the leader in low wage, and no benefits for employees for greater corporate profit. Which actually creates a greater burden on others when they seek government aid. Off soapbox.

And their pay and benefits are competitive with other retailers, including Target, per Chicago's Crain Business.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And their pay and benefits are competitive with other retailers, including Target, per Chicago's Crain Business.
The High Cost of Low Wages - Harvard Business Review

Old 04-06-2013, 08:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
To get back on topic, Walmart is generally a couple of cents below Kroger's even on sales items.

Dollar General does not carry enough items to make a fair comparison.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Sales at my local Kroger are very competitive price-wise with sales at Target and Wal-Mart. Full-price items are more expensive than at Target or Wal-Mart (I don't shop at Dollar General) especially since Kroger ended its policy of double/triple couponing.

I'll shop the sales; Kroger and Super Target are on the same street near me so I can hit both stores very easily. There isn't a Wal-Mart close by so I rarely shop there. Tom Thumb (a Texas supermarket chain) also sometimes undercuts both on sales, but it's almost always more expensive than both of them. There's a Tom Thumb near the Super Target so if I want to hit all three stores on the same outing, it's easy to do so.

Basically I shop my list and buy what's cheapest at each of the stores. When I'm making my list I put abbreviations by the store that has the best price on that particular item so I'll know where to get what.

Super Target in my area also price-matches competitors' ads, but they do not do this at the register. You have to go to customer service and get them to do it there. It's a pain in the butt, but I regularly make them do it to avoid making another stop.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:13 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Dollar General does not carry enough items to make a fair comparison.
I depends on the market. The stores around here carry about the same selection as a good-sized convenience store so it's hardly worth shopping there unless you're in there shopping for other items anyway.

But the DG in one town where we lived that didn't have another grocery store actually had a wide enough variety that we could buy pretty much everything we needed other than fresh meat and produce. Prices were reasonable, certainly better than making a special 10-mile trip to the nearest discount grocer if we needed something right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living