Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 03:15 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Doesn't that feel great! We've been paying down our CC as wellAs we pay off the smaller ones, then what we would have paid on them we pay towards the big ones, it feels great to see balance 0

However, I would NOT take the advice to then close out paid off accounts. Its just my opinion, but CC might be your only source of emergency cash. When you need it the most, you can't get credit, so, keep your lines of credit open. Oh, another caveat----make sure to use the paid off cc at least once in awhile, or they will cancel you. I had a masterCard that was mine, in my name, since before I was married. Since the balance was always paid, it kept my credit score high. Then, we paid it off, and just forgot to use it. Then, they cancelled it for lack of use That hurts your credit, and your ability to get credit in the future
I agree, don't close accounts. Long tradelines (opened years ago) add points to your credit score, and you need a high credit score to get the lowest interest rates on your car and home loans. And I also agree they will close 'em on you if you don't use them. I had a Bank of America closed after a year of non-use. Just put a $20 item on them once a year (something you were gonna buy anyway, not something extra ) and that will do it.

Also, I'd recommend looking for a new credit card that has free balance transfers and zero interest for 15 months or more. There are several good ones now. That way you can put the money you're paying for interest now, which is usually a whole lot of money, towards your balance and pay it down much quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 10:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
made it easier for somebody else to be frugal by going through my closet and donating 27 pieces of clothing or accessories to our PTA thrift shop. Some nice things but not worth the time and effort to sell on line.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I did not buy something I did not need even though the advertisers tried to tell me I did.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:20 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
made it easier for somebody else to be frugal by going through my closet and donating 27 pieces of clothing or accessories to our PTA thrift shop. Some nice things but not worth the time and effort to sell on line.

You know what? I'm in the same boat. I have several INC and Jones New York black business skirts and pants. I could try Ebay but I know it will be a total waste of time. I'll end up donating them and getting tax benefit from it!

Old 12-19-2014, 06:46 PM

I don't know if this really counts as being frugal but I belong to a survey site that I get money on a reloadable Visa card. I'm putting all the money on it to use for cabs for our trip to Vegas next month. I'll have $100 by the time we go. So technically no money out of my pocket!!

Old 12-19-2014, 10:34 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
You know what? I'm in the same boat. I have several INC and Jones New York black business skirts and pants. I could try Ebay but I know it will be a total waste of time. I'll end up donating them and getting tax benefit from it!

Well, you might give it a try. I've been successful in selling clothes on Ebay.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:35 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I don't know if this really counts as being frugal but I belong to a survey site that I get money on a reloadable Visa card. I'm putting all the money on it to use for cabs for our trip to Vegas next month. I'll have $100 by the time we go. So technically no money out of my pocket!!
Just make sure that Visa card doesn't eat itself up with fees

Old 12-19-2014, 11:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Beats by Dr Dre is just a lot of branding nothing else. You should've gone for a Seinheuser ... Much better and cheaper
I'm not a fan of the Beats... but your statement is completely inaccurate.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just make sure that Visa card doesn't eat itself up with fees
No fees. Only charge me a $1 to put the money on the card itself.

Still debating about Ebay. It may also become a time issue as well.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
himain, consignment could be an option........just putting it out there.

I have seen the survey ads on TV today, please keep us posted if it is a real moneymaker.

This week we figured out DH beat himself up in the plow truck, he had a lot of trouble walking three days after.

We were worried it was a stroke until his light bulb went off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living