Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:01 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed that now Goodwill sorts the adult and junior clothes by color now instead of by size? At least in my area they do. I just hate it. Takes too much time to go through all those racks and racks of clothes now to find the right sizes. Haven't noticed if it's the same in kids clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 12:47 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Not in my area. They are all mixed up. In my area you are lucky to find a piece that is not torn up or otherwise damaged.

Last edited by elnina; 05-25-2013 at 12:56 AM..

Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Ours all sort by color - I don't see how they could sort by size - Size is pretty meaningless anyway, I'm a pretty average size and have clothing in my closet that fits in all differnt sizes.

I find the jumbled up shopping (like at Ross) to be a little overwhelming.

My method is maybe a little odd - I really only wear natural fibers (linen, silk, wool, cashmere, cotton) so I kinda tend to skip colors I wouldn't wear (yellow, orange) and run my hands over looking for the right "feel".

Old 05-25-2013, 12:02 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Ours all sort by color - I don't see how they could sort by size - Size is pretty meaningless anyway, I'm a pretty average size and have clothing in my closet that fits in all differnt sizes.

I find the jumbled up shopping (like at Ross) to be a little overwhelming.

My method is maybe a little odd - I really only wear natural fibers (linen, silk, wool, cashmere, cotton) so I kinda tend to skip colors I wouldn't wear (yellow, orange) and run my hands over looking for the right "feel".
If it is odd then I am gladly odd right along with you. I do pretty much exactly the same thing!

I also have stuff in my closet labeled medium to xxl that all fits me fine. Seems to me that the cheaper the brand (Target, for example), the larger the size I need. I can wear a 12 or 14 in some Ann Taylor pants items and need a 16 or XXL in Target stuff.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
At my old Goodwill stores, where I used to live, the clothes were badly sorted by size. At the Goodwill where I go now, the clothes are sorted by general size, and then by color. Also, different sorts of garments are grouped together. However outerwear is grouped simply by S, M, L or XL regardless of gender.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:36 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
My local Goodwills also sort clothing by colors. I hate that. Really hate it. They also sort BOOKS by color! WTH???? Now THAT makes no sense whatsoever. I don't even attempt to browse them. Worse than sorting clothing by color.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
My local Goodwills also sort clothing by colors. I hate that. Really hate it. They also sort BOOKS by color! WTH???? Now THAT makes no sense whatsoever. I don't even attempt to browse them. Worse than sorting clothing by color.
That is crazy! Sorting books by color!?!? I agree. WTF????

Old 05-27-2013, 04:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Sadly the ones which have extra worth are selected out first. I used to find jems in the books at thrift stores, but not so much anymore. They pick out the best and sell on Amazon. At least those of us who don't have thrift stores get to help out that way.

I liked sorting by color. I generally know what I like in color and what matches. I could find all the black stuff in one bunch.

Size is not always possible since the tags may have faded or the vanity brands are three sizes larger in reality than the non vanity ones.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:08 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,048 times
Quote:

Same here. When the color sorting started, the prices rose too. In my area, Goodwill and Savers are almost the same price as retail. And that's for USED things. It's all about making a big profit now

Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Our Goodwill sorts clothes by color.

Makes sense to me. Sometimes you are looking for a certain color, and it's easier to find when they are all together.

It probably makes it easier for employees to keep it organized since it takes less time to sort by color then by size, since you don't need to search for size tags on every garment.

The only thing that sorting by color does ultimately lead to is a lot of woman's items on the men's clothing racks, and probably the opposite is true as well.

There have been lots of times when I would browse men's shorts, and find sizes like 10, 12, 14, etc.

They should use one color price tag for men's items, and one for women's. That would probably simplify everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living