Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 01:05 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times

Advertisements

I'd say probably twice a week. Basically on my days off.

I'm curious with the habits of other frugal people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 01:32 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Only about once a month, here! Sometimes less!

In my ideal world, it would probably be twice a month though

Old 06-09-2013, 01:56 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
More often than I should, lately. About 3x per week, since I've been working some crazy hours lately.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:41 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Eat out? Once a week I lunch with the ladies. DH and I may go out once a week also.

Take out? Practically never. If I am going to eat at home, I cook at home.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:28 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times
Whenever we feel like it. I cook quite a bit and spend as much or more time in the Recipes forum as in this one, but we still eat or order out at least several times a week. Lunch at the ballpark yesterday ($40), and following extra innings, a suburban dinner at what would qualify for a segment on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives ($45). Monday included a meal from Subway ($15), but Wednesday's tab was $830 for dinner for four (including tip and two bottles of wine). That drove the total outlay to above average weekly levels, but not the incidence. Who knows what we'll do tonight to finish off the week. A frugal lifestyle does not mean a life of self-denial and abstinence -- it means a lifestyle wherein time and effort are invested in seeing to it that waste and leakage are minmized.

Last edited by oaktonite; 06-09-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
I think the last time I ate out was March. The next time will be the end of this month for my granddaughter's Birthday Day.

I'm usually disappointed when I eat out so why bother. My own food is better, cheaper and healthier

Old 06-09-2013, 08:45 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
we usually do some restaurant eating on weekends. id say 2-3 times a week. i always try to do it in places that i have a coupon and nothing too fancy unless its a special occasion like anniversary. also, my parents will often take us out on the weekends so they often cover 1 or 2 of the weekend meals. looking at mint.com, restaurant expense has been on average $399 a month this year so it does work out to be a decent amount of spending.

oh, I never really do delivery or take out. for me, eating in a restaurant is a major part of why im paying someone else to make my food. I just enjoy the experience. so if its gonna be at home, ill do the cooking.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 06-09-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 06-09-2013, 09:43 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Twice a month.
1. I and a freind have this standing trade-off dinner, where he buys one month and I the other. That is the only true "dining out" that I do.

2. I and another freind go out for donuts or pastries and coffee, sort of a morning thing, once a month,. This could also be a breakfast, but usually just a danish/donut & coffee thing.

These are the only two regular dining out things.

1. A more random dinner is having dinner with my old retired clerical support assistant (former coworker). This is really maybe twice or three times a year.

2. Then, during the fall, winter, and early spring months I have dinner with the writers at this spoken word night I go to when I am visiting Louisville. This could be a monthly thing, but isnt beause I really cant afford that every month.

So, during a typical, say, winter or spring month, the most I would be eating out is:
1. Trade-off dinner with friend
2. Coffee & danish with another freind
3. After-the-reading dinner with the Louisville spoken-word night writers.

....that would be he most I would eat out during a typical month, beyond getting a coffee and donut someplace (or in the summer an ice cream cone) (this type of "snack" eating out would be maybe weekly, after or during a hike or bike ride)

Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 AM

840 posts, read 1,147,609 times
3 times a week typically and 3 times just yesterday (I had to be out of the house on a short notice for about 12 hours). I eat out to socialize or if I'm really, really craving something like bagel on a bad day. Other than that, I prefer to eat at home or bring my own food because it's healthier and outside food just have way too many nutritionally poor filler like carby food bread and rice and iceberg lettuce.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
On average, twice per week. I chalk it up to entertainment expense. Tuesday is Senior day at Cici's Pizza and it's only $3.99 including a drink...love their soup and salad. The other day I usually go to a local Tex-Mex place and I always get
$1 off since I fill out their online survey from my previous visit. Since I only spend $8 to $10 a week I don't worry about it. (no tipping where I go) I'm retired now and it's just me. I enjoy my little outings, so I don't do takeout. 2 days of no cooking! Yea! Sometimes I go with friends and I insist we go dutch. That way no one feels obligated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living