Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I'd say probably twice a week. Basically on my days off.

I'm curious with the habits of other frugal people.
A few times a year. We have plenty of eating places here but I'd rather eat at home. I do buy lunch now and then at work but it's from our deli. I guess that could be considered 'fast food' but it's better than McDonald's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 12:38 PM

971 posts, read 1,454,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I'd say probably twice a week. Basically on my days off.

I'm curious with the habits of other frugal people.
Having been retired 15 years now, the economy has exceeded my income. I hope your retirement is better and longer before it happens to you. Too many variables in control that will take responsibility from you. Many more taxes and fees that you didn't know was coming and couldn't plan for.

So I no longer eat out or take home meals. I can only afford to leave the house once a week. Live in a rural area and gas is higher than I would have ever believed possible and I sold gas for 60 years. JMHO

Old 06-09-2013, 01:43 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
We eat breakfast out twice a week, Friday night is Pizza or Panera night and on a rare occasion I'll stop and get a taco at Taco Bell.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:25 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
It depends on what portion of the country I'm in.

New England: Almost never, the food there is poorly seasoned with the exception of a limited amount of their seafood dishes.

Gulf coast... WAYYYY too much. There's so much good food.

Carolina's, Memphis, or Alabama bar b q also draws me in. (There's this one dive in Memphis, I'll actually determine when I'm going to leave somewhere in order to stop there while it's open.)

Cuban and such in Southern FL also tempts me.

Ozarks where I am currently... also not often.

It varies in the west, and I'm not there that often.

Almost never take out unless it's something like fried chicken from a Deli, or pizza.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 PM

582 posts, read 1,119,088 times
About twice a month. The personal hygiene of the kitchen staff always makes me nervous. Do you honestly think everyone back there washes their hands after using the bathroom? I'd say 50% at the absolute most, and I'm being generous.

Plus I just saw the movie Waiting last night; I love that movie, and yes, I am completely ashamed of myself for loving it .

Waiting Trailer - YouTube

Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
I go out for lunch every day and probably get take out or go to a restaurant for dinner 4-5 days/week. Since I am in a city and have more than a few options, I nearly always go to smaller, family owned ethnic restaurants that end up being almost as cheap as actually cooking.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:41 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
About twice a month. The personal hygiene of the kitchen staff always makes me nervous. Do you honestly think everyone back there washes their hands after using the bathroom? I'd say 50% at the absolute most, and I'm being generous.
Well, either generous or paranoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Plus I just saw the movie Waiting last night; I love that movie, and yes, I am completely ashamed of myself for loving it .
It's a comedy. Not a documentary.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:21 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Breakfast once or twice a week,
Lunch three times a week
Dinner once or twice a week.
Take out (pizza/Chinese) once a week.

So about seven, roughly. Eating out is definitely not where I'm frugal. =D
Just depends how busy I am with work. When it slows down I might go out once or twice a week, if at all. I'm usually bored then so I feel more like cooking to alleviate the boredom.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:32 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
People eat out more than I thought!

Old 06-10-2013, 04:36 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
We used to eat breakfast out every Saturday morning and dinner out every Saturday night, and during the week we might pick up something and eat in. We have an excellent cajun restaurant near us and take out was always over $30. When DH was diagnosed with cancer and I became the major wage-earner, we cut back on all of that. DH started cooking since he was home and we stocked up on chicken and meats at Costco. When he went back to work, we just kept that up. We probably save over $100 a week and have had fun trying lots of new recipes.

I am on a medical leave now, but when I am working, I take my lunch and so does DH. I also am concerned about the cleanliness of restaurants and workers since I have an opportunity to watch too much television. At least in my home, my dirt is my dirt and I know where it comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living