Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times

Advertisements

I have an ex-husband who used to do stuff like this all the time, and he tried to make the kids do it too. It's one of the many reasons I'm not married to him anymore. (BTW, the kids know it's dishonest and they don't do it.)

Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 AM

659 posts, read 1,172,658 times
Finish your inefficient juicing and save the juicer for a future yard sale or put it on Craigslist.
If you were dissatisfied after ONE attempt with ONE piece of fruit it would be no problem but you thoroughly USED this equipment and it's not fair to expect a full refund and for another to buy this USED juicer for a new juicer price.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:00 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
No. As others have said, it is dishonest and it is theft. I find it to be disgusting as well. If you can't afford something, don't buy it or save your money until you can buy it.

As for "being a single mother.....blah blah blah" Listen, if you can't afford clothing, save your money and buy 1 or 2 outfits for meetings or special occasions. Don't be a thief and then blame it on "being a single mother" There are plenty of us single mothers struggling everyday to get by. I would never, ever purchase an outfit with the intent on wearing it and then returning it. Disgraceful.
This. "Borrowing" (really it's stealing) isn't frugal - it's unethical...When I couldn't afford really nice clothes for work, I made do with what I could afford by hand washing, pressing and keeping it in good repair. I hit thrift stores for nicer pieces.

I had a friend who refused to buy stuff at thrift stores because she didnt' want to wear used clothes but she had no issues buying, wearing and then returning clothing.

We once bought a big tv around this time of year and the guy at Costco who helped us get it in the car made a comment about seeing us in a couple weeks to help bring it back in the store. I honestly kinda freaked out and asked him if there was a problem with the tvs since I had already done my consumer reports research before making such a big (for us) purchase.... Turns out he just assumed that we were like the majority of people buying TV's that week for their super bowl parties with every intention of returning them...

Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL! I knew this would be a controversial thread, but I don't believe there are nuttin' but saints on City Data...
Not controversial at all!
And saying we don't steal really doesn't make us saints... we are just not thieves!

Old 01-12-2014, 12:23 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
LOL! I knew this would be a controversial thread, but I don't believe there are nuttin' but saints on City Data...

I know I'm not a "saint" and have done a lot of crazy things in my life but stealing was not and is not one of them.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:25 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,994 times
No. That's cheap and trashy.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:

Frugal is going to Goodwill or Salvation Army or a different second hand shop to find a used small appliance for a few dollars.

What you are doing is not frugal.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
The ONLY time I have the mindset of "I'll take it back" is if I buy something and it breaks within a very short period of time, or the product is defective. I generally investigate a product before I buy it so I know what I'm looking for - and if it has poor reviews or if obviously made cheaply - I won't buy it. If I do purchase what I perceive to be a quality product, and it fails me, I don't hesitate to return it BUT not after I have used it numerous times, or kept it for 6 months. That falls into the stealing category IMHO, and that's just wrong. I agree with the others here - we aren't professing to be saints - but we are honest folks who don't find it necessary to lie, cheat, or steal to get by in the world and then act like the rest of the planet is a bunch of rubes if they don't do it too. Integrity is still alive and well, thank you very much.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:30 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityJAX View Post
Finish your inefficient juicing and save the juicer for a future yard sale or put it on Craigslist.
If you were dissatisfied after ONE attempt with ONE piece of fruit it would be no problem but you thoroughly USED this equipment and it's not fair to expect a full refund and for another to buy this USED juicer for a new juicer price.
In this case -- it sounds as if the juicer doesn't work as advertised. I don't have a problem taking something back that doesn't work -- if *I* didn't break it. I've done it -- I recently did it with bolt cutters. They were supposed to be heavy duty, and they could barely cut telephone wire. I got my money back.

But buying something with the thought using it once and taking it back? No. That's wrong.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:35 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No, I have not. I consider that to be theft and not just dishonesty.
I agree.

I feel guilty if I buy something and then change my mind about it and return it unused. IMO, if I use it and it's not defective, I bought it.

If I decide after I used it that I don't like it, then it goes to the second-hand store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living