Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times

Advertisements

I started buying kroger facial tissues instead of real Kleenexes, to save maybe 50 cents a box. Those things are rough and when I try to dry my ears with one, it disintegrates. A real Kleenex allows me to wrap one around my fingy and insert it into my ear.

I've been out of work and if I live like a dog, I will be broke in 3 years. But if I live like a normal person, I will be broke in 2 years. "Pinching pennies" is a pain and it's not worth the trouble. I often can't decide whether to pay $6 for a crappy lunch or $9 for a decent lunch. I tend to alternate between the two. Life is too short to scrimp all the time. So I scrimp half the time.

Most people wouldn't notice, but there is quite a diff between real paper towels and cheaper ones. It's also true of crackers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 12:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
you trying to convince yourself to spend more? if you don't mind running out of money, then i guess you shouldn't pinch those pennies.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
For a couple years I tracked what I spent on household supplies, toiletries, personal products, etc. I came to the conclusion that buying better products cost me less than $60 over two years for all categories combined, but the benefits of those were substantial. Plus, I like the luxury of using nicer shave gel, shampoo, hand soap, etc.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:00 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I started buying kroger facial tissues instead of real Kleenexes, to save maybe 50 cents a box. Those things are rough and when I try to dry my ears with one, it disintegrates. A real Kleenex allows me to wrap one around my fingy and insert it into my ear.

I've been out of work and if I live like a dog, I will be broke in 3 years. But if I live like a normal person, I will be broke in 2 years. "Pinching pennies" is a pain and it's not worth the trouble. I often can't decide whether to pay $6 for a crappy lunch or $9 for a decent lunch. I tend to alternate between the two. Life is too short to scrimp all the time. So I scrimp half the time.

Most people wouldn't notice, but there is quite a diff between real paper towels and cheaper ones. It's also true of crackers.
I know what you mean. Sounds like you're on a decent track if you can afford to go 2 more years unemployed while not scrimping beyond reason.

I still prefer cheap paper towels because 9 times out of 10 the job doesn't really require anything too strong or absorbent. I don't mind using a few extra sheets of the cheapies when the job calls for it.

For years I used to only order water at restaurants. But it seems kind of silly to sacrifice my enjoyment of the meal to save around $2. Especially since eating out is already a "luxury" activity anyway. If ordering a coffee or sprite puts me over my spending limit, then I shouldn't be in the restaurant in the first place.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
if you are a smart shopper, a lot of times you can buy the fancier stuff for less than the cheap stuff. you can also learn which cheaper items are just as good as the more expensive items. you don't have to buy crappy stuff to save money. my fridge/freezer/closet are full of food and products that are the same stuff that many other people have. the main difference is that I spent a lot less than they did for the same stuff.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

Go to Walmart and buy yourself a set of 10 cloth diapers for about $12. Use them instead of paper towels. Much more cost-effective. While you're at it buy some cloth handkerchiefs. Alternatively, use toilet paper to blow your nose.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:02 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I kinda get what the OP is talking about since I went through a phase when I was completely overwhelmed the first few years of trying to live frugally. Basically, I was spending too much of my free time trying to get the best possible deals on everything I needed to buy. After a while, especially after I had made a few unwise purchases on big-ticket items due to not being able to think clearly, I realized it just wasn't worth the effort and I relaxed my "rules" on purchases under $100, especially those under $10.

Keep in mind your brain can only make a finite # of decisions every day.. Decision fatigue is the term for the mental exhaustion that ensues when you've made an excessive number of decisions in a short period and your ability to make judgements has been temporarily impaired. If you can only make a small, finite # of decisions each day with a straight mind, it's best to save those for the larger purchases.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I'm wondering why you are going out to lunch when you are unemployed. Even $6.00 is way more than you need to be spending on lunch. Do your cooking at home and you will be surprised at how much you will save.

I use about a roll of papertowels every 2 or 3 weeks and we are a family of 4. I have a stack of wash cloths at the kitchen sink where we wash our hands and use the wash cloths to dry. I use them for kitchen clean up as well. It doesn't cost a cent to throw them in the laundry with other loads and i save a few trees as well as dollars.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:34 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
A roll of paper towels lasts us for months.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:38 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
If ordering a coffee or sprite puts me over my spending limit, then I shouldn't be in the restaurant in the first place.
I like.
This could apply to almost every decision.
Sometimes real frugality isn't about trying to do 'X' in the absolutely cheapest way, it's coming to a rational decision that you shouldn't be doing 'X' if you have to do it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living