Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

Kitty litter, grain-free dog food, broth, honey, quinoa, organic chicken breasts (less about the cost than the packaging, which makes them freeze well), natural peanut butter, manchego cheese, almond milk, frozen organic green beans, dried cranberries, cleaning supplies, paper towels and toilet paper, Brita filters, light bulbs, conditioner, fish oil capsules (for the dog), toothpaste, socks. The list is pretty endless. As a single person, I tend to avoid highly perishable items, but I save a lot of money there. Now that I have a housemate, we get even more value out of it.

The biggest surprise has been the clothing - I've gotten a winter coat there as well as some very nice sweaters and some great gloves that are perfect for driving in the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
How many organic items are they carrying now compared to other places? I try to buy organic any time it is available, so this is a large factor to me.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
How many organic items are they carrying now compared to other places? I try to buy organic any time it is available, so this is a large factor to me.
They have a really good organic selection. I buy organic spinach and salad. This summer they had organic berries for a good price. They recently started selling organic bananas. I've seen organic apples, but they don't always have them. The have organic bread, butter, cheese. They have organic frozen fruit and veggies. Organic pasta and sauce. I think the quinoa is organic but I'm not sure. They sell Nutiva coconut oil. They have some "natural" meats and eggs, although I don't know that those labels mean much. Overall, I've been really impressed with Costco's selection of organic.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Well I went today to cash my AMEX check and ended up buying huge pump bottles of my preferred shampoo & conditioner, a 3pk of body wash, and some Kirkland brand allergy medicine and antacid. Then I got a polish dog and a Pepsi on the way out the door!

I'm not convinced that I saved money but I won't have to buy that stuff for a long long time and it won't go bad

Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,159 times
- I was wondering...

if anyone's bought a membership, splitting that cost and the bulk items with others.

That may really be a serious savings.

I'd think some families are already are doing this (?)

Old 02-22-2014, 01:47 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post

if anyone's bought a membership, splitting that cost and the bulk items with others..........
Yes, my son and I have a family membership and split the annual fee. Some of the things we buy come in two packs and we split those. With either one of us, though, most of what we buy is storable and will be used up, so no real need to split.

We often go shopping together so that we both do our Costco on one trip's worth of gasoline. Car pooling saves a big chunk of money for those of us who live out of town.

The memberships aren't really set up for people to share. The card holder has to be the one there and paying. You can walk through the door with a friend, showing one card, and one of you could pay at the register and divide the bill up outside.

I've taken out-of-country guests and they just walk in with me. Their purchases go onto my card and they pay with cash. My friends from Britain always want a shopping trip to Costco.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:49 PM

154 posts, read 191,922 times
We buy the vast majority of our food items at Costco. So many great bargains... This is what we purchase on a regular basis: organic spinach, romaine lettuce hearts, grapes, jicama, peppers, milk, eggs, KerryGold butter, kirkland butter, tomatoes, Kirkland ibuprofen, Nexxus shampoo, Kirkland body wash, winter coats, nuts of all kinds (pecans, almonds, macadamia, cashews), trail mix (for MIL), Fage yogurt, whole milk mozzarella cheese, BabyBel cheese, Kirkland cooked/whole turkey breast to slice at home for lunch meat, Kirkland toilet tissue and paper towels, Kirkland dogfood, bugspray, sunscreen, Kirkland cabernet wine (yum! $8.99 for an over-sized bottle!), batteries, Kirkland men's jeans for $13.99, socks... The list goes on and on

I LOVE the Kirkland brand, which is their house brand. So far, there's only been one item (cereal) that I returned since it didn't compare with the national brand's quality. When I look around my house, I see the house that Costco built. If they don't sell it, I don't need it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living