Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 04:18 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
HALF your annual gross on a CAR??!! Wow. My last car cost me 15% of my annual gross (bought new -- I buy new and keep them forever) ... I got a 5-year loan with a silly-low interest rate and paid it off in half that time. I cannot fathom spending half my annual gross on a car.

To the OP: hmmm ... no job but you've day-traded your way to 1.5 million ... but you live with your mom and don't pay her any rent. Yep, all this is totally believable.

Buy a used Hyundai, get a job, and start paying some rent.
I was using half your annual income based on the current median household income and the average price of a new car. I was being very conservative by saying half.

Median household income = $51,017
Average price of a new car = $31,252

Report: Average price of new car hits record in August

The last new vehicle I bought was 20% of my gross and I still have it 11 years later. I figured since the OP was a millionaire he should go for it.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:30 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I was using half your annual income based on the current median household income and the average price of a new car. I was being very conservative by saying half.

The last new vehicle I bought was 20% of my gross and I still have it 11 years later. I figured since the OP was a millionaire he should go for it.

Average new car cost vs median would probably change the results a bit

Old 08-18-2014, 04:53 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,372,023 times
What a bunch of num nums. The guy comes to the frugal board, because anyone else who doesn't practice frugality as a way of life may think he's nuts weighing whether to spend $57,000 on a used Porsche, when he has $1,500,000 accumulated. I guess he thought this board might relate better to his hesitation to spend that much money.

Guess he was wrong. You got him suffering from some mental disorder now. He was undoubtedly going through the self argument phase of making a big purchase, and wanted to hear opinions from others who do not spend money frivolously. It's probably good to suffer from some anxiety before making a large purchase. Most responsible people do. Just some more so than others.

He doesn't need your opinion, he just thought he might consider what others had to say before making his decision, because he probably understands the value of money better than the average Joe.

Tell me who hasn't struggled with purchasing a "want" as opposed to a need when you could well afford it. I agonized over two weeks before buying another lousy $229 Nexus tablet, because I had two all ready (earlier tablets) and didn't really need a third, and I have more than enough money. I changed my mind at least a dozen times in those two weeks before hitting the Buy Botton.

Last edited by modhatter; 08-18-2014 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 05:12 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerous View Post
Hi, I dont have a steady job at the moment. I'm a day trader and have made about 1.5 million in cash.

I dont own a car at the moment, and was wondering how much money should I spend on a car?

I've been looking at a Porsche Carrera 2007, it is $56k with about 16k miles and with a Certified Pre-Owned rating from the official Porsche dealership.

Is this too much? I originally had a deposit on a 70k out the door Porsche Macan but got scared that I was over-reaching and had them refund me the deposit.

What do you guys think? I've been wasting a lot of time on this decision.
Hi, I was having a similar problem. I am a Nigerian prince with an enormous amount of wealth. I wasn't sure if I could afford a Toyota Corolla junker with 100K miles on it, or whether I should go for a New Dheli-style rickshaw cart instead. I am an expert in financial investment, yet I need the opinion of strangers on the internet to determine what to do here. What do you guys think?

Old 08-18-2014, 05:15 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

People who make 51k per year are buying new cars? Maybe they are, but they shouldn't.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:16 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Good catch, Threestep.

I wouldn't spend $70,000 on a car if I were a kazillionaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Buy a used Hyundai, get a job, and start paying some rent.
This would be my advice as well, if the OP's story of woe is indeed real.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,076,241 times
I say screw the car.

Get out of your moms house and travel the world. NOW THIS will attract the ladies.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,372,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Hi, I was having a similar problem. I am a Nigerian prince with an enormous amount of wealth. I wasn't sure if I could afford a Toyota Corolla junker with 100K miles on it, or whether I should go for a New Dheli-style rickshaw cart instead. I am an expert in financial investment, yet I need the opinion of strangers on the internet to determine what to do here. What do you guys think?
Wow, what intellect and sensitivity.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:12 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,678,383 times
OP, you seem like a nice guy, so I'd like to suggest you read a book entitled, The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko. If you follow the advice in this book you will be set for life and possibly be able to retire early. It might also give you some insights about this car situation. I know fancy cars are important to young guys in LA, but your future well being is important, as well. Best wishes.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:19 PM

38 posts, read 61,374 times
buy it. if you get bored, sell it and chalk it up as an experience...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living