Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times

Advertisements

I have now gotten into the habit of looking for bulk supplies for just about everything. Buying things that I think are at a good enough discount and enough to last a couple years.

I have not had a good experience so far looking locally for laundry soap. Maybe because I am not sure what I want. I have used liquids, powders, pods, and whatever other forms are available, but honestly, I see no difference in any of them.

The only form that I think has an advantage for me is liquid... because I can set it on a shelf over the washer and just pour without lifting, moving, etc...

In your experience what is the best way to buy bulk soap at a good discount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:03 PM

95 posts, read 296,462 times
I dont buy bulk in laundry detergent, I read somewhere that after a year the liquid can separate and not preform as well and the powdered can turn to hard clumps if exposed to moisture, but I dont know from experience, I think you can buy it in bulk at sams club, and soap.com.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
In the past, I've kept an eye out for really good sales at the local market. Sales like buy 3, get 2 free. I then buy whatever is the limit. If the limit is 6, you'll end up with 10.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:15 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I have now gotten into the habit of looking for bulk supplies for just about everything. Buying things that I think are at a good enough discount and enough to last a couple years.

I have not had a good experience so far looking locally for laundry soap. Maybe because I am not sure what I want. I have used liquids, powders, pods, and whatever other forms are available, but honestly, I see no difference in any of them.

The only form that I think has an advantage for me is liquid... because I can set it on a shelf over the washer and just pour without lifting, moving, etc...

In your experience what is the best way to buy bulk soap at a good discount?
How much do you think you will use in a year? We do about 10 loads of laundry a week - 2 of us + lots of pets. We go through a huge box of Surf powder detergent from Sams every three months or so.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:17 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
I was at a Family Dollar Store tonight and saw laundry soap stacked in clear plastic bags. I never saw this before. It was only 2 dollars for the smaller bags and 9 for the large.

I had to stop and do a double take because at first I thought it was sidewalk salt and I was wondering why they were selling it in SC.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapinky0 View Post
I dont buy bulk in laundry detergent, I read somewhere that after a year the liquid can separate and not preform as well and the powdered can turn to hard clumps if exposed to moisture, but I dont know from experience, I think you can buy it in bulk at sams club, and soap.com.
I did not know that liquids will separate. Do they just need a good shaking or do they break down chemically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How much do you think you will use in a year? We do about 10 loads of laundry a week - 2 of us + lots of pets. We go through a huge box of Surf powder detergent from Sams every three months or so.
WOW!!!

No, nowhere near. Currently I do about 2 loads (one whites, one colors) a week? I am single and have a "uniform" at work that consists of two pairs of white dockers and two pairs of black. During the winter I change white out of the rotation and instead wear a beige or darker brown. My shirts are all pullover - walmart specials. Lots of colors but relatively cheap.

The rest is just whites.

In two weeks I will be home for good(?) and my standard daily wear will be gym shorts and a rotation of baseball jerseys. So the frequency of washing should actually go down.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I was at a Family Dollar Store tonight and saw laundry soap stacked in clear plastic bags. I never saw this before. It was only 2 dollars for the smaller bags and 9 for the large.

I had to stop and do a double take because at first I thought it was sidewalk salt and I was wondering why they were selling it in SC.
Did you happen to see the name? Im wondering if its one of the mexican laundry detergents, as they are usually sold in bags at about the price you mentioned

Old 09-08-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
In the past, I've kept an eye out for really good sales at the local market. Sales like buy 3, get 2 free. I then buy whatever is the limit. If the limit is 6, you'll end up with 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post

I'll have to go look for these sales, thanks.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:34 PM

I only read that it separates and isnt as effective at cleaning, I cant remember to save my a$$ where I read it. Lol.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:35 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapinky0 View Post
Did you happen to see the name? Im wondering if its one of the mexican laundry detergents, as they are usually sold in bags at about the price you mentioned
No, I didn't look at the labels. It could be Mexican since there is a large Mexican population in that particular neighborhood. I will look if I go back there anytime soon.

I know there are so many dollar stores nowadays, and this was in a" Family Dollar."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living