Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:40 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Feed prices - corn, that is - is high because the EPA mandates high percentages of ethanol be blended into the gasoline. Thus, a huge proportion of our corn crop ends up in our cars, rather than our mouths.
It's been that way for years, though. Although it certainly is a factor in beef pricing, it has nothing to do with the recent spike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 01:23 PM

56 posts, read 103,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Look around you at all the dry lakes and dry land. Ranchers are not able to keep their herds and it's costing a fortune to feed them.
Pay me to sell you more beef. I'm not sure I like that idea.

Btw, I'm just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Really?
Why?
Because Hamburger .aka. Ground Beef is the Hotdog of the Beef World. It's made up of scrap pieces of meat and ground up.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborger View Post
Because Hamburger .aka. Ground Beef is the Hotdog of the Beef World. It's made up of scrap pieces of meat and ground up.
If you believe that you've obviously never read the list of ingredients on a hot dog package.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:45 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Yes, I need quite a bit of high quality iron, I had/have anemia. The cost of getting iron from red meat is not too fun....but I do my best with the INSANE prices. I am stocked up for next week, 5 days of high-iron foods:

1. beef heart, 2. beef heart, 3. beef steak, 4. chicken livers, 5. beef cheek meat.

Each meal probably averages out to less than 2 bucks a meal.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Quote:
Sorry, this doesn't jive at all. Do the herds that the ranchers can't afford to keep just disappear into thin air? No, when there's not enough feed to economically support the cattle population, production livestock is sent to slaughter along with the usual crop of beef calves. This would flood the market and should cause a short-term price decline followed by a price increase when the numbers stabilize and supply is reduced in relation to demand.

But this didn't happen. Yes, herds were trimmed during the 18-24 months of drought experienced in some cattle-producing parts of the country. The total US beef population is 3% less than it was in 2012. But we didn't see the price declines that should have occurred as a result of excessive shipping. Which tells me that the recent increase is just a market manipulation designed to make a few middlemen rich at the expense of the average beef consumer.
Its a combination of factors. First, there certainly was the drought that started in 2011 and has continued until this year. It drove up feed prices. Ranchers did sell off their herds and prices for beef were very cheap for quite a while. The problem becomes rebuilding the herd. This takes years, as cows don't reproduce that fast. That means the shortage lasts for quite a while and is still going on. Last year, one of the big slaughter houses in our area closed. At this point, with prices high, there is a shortage of cattle and prices are still high. It will take awhile for the herds to rebuild. I understand that from your point of view 3% decline isn't much, but that kind of a decline is about all you need to start prices up and induce a shortage. Same happens with oil. Once you have a shortage, prices will increase far and wide.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:16 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
$4.19/lb. for 1/2 side of organic, grass fed beef from hoof to table in central Wisconsin.

I had no idea that grocery store beef was so expensive. Hmmmm...

RVcook

Which is completely useless to those of us who have zero freezer space.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:19 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, I need quite a bit of high quality iron, I had/have anemia. The cost of getting iron from red meat is not too fun....but I do my best with the INSANE prices. I am stocked up for next week, 5 days of high-iron foods:

1. beef heart, 2. beef heart, 3. beef steak, 4. chicken livers, 5. beef cheek meat.

Each meal probably averages out to less than 2 bucks a meal.

That sounds offal.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Its a combination of factors. First, there certainly was the drought that started in 2011 and has continued until this year. It drove up feed prices. Ranchers did sell off their herds and prices for beef were very cheap for quite a while. The problem becomes rebuilding the herd. This takes years, as cows don't reproduce that fast. That means the shortage lasts for quite a while and is still going on. Last year, one of the big slaughter houses in our area closed. At this point, with prices high, there is a shortage of cattle and prices are still high. It will take awhile for the herds to rebuild. I understand that from your point of view 3% decline isn't much, but that kind of a decline is about all you need to start prices up and induce a shortage. Same happens with oil. Once you have a shortage, prices will increase far and wide.
But there is no shortage. Grocery stores were throwing out unsold beef before the herd reduction, and they are still throwing out unsold beef today.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:54 PM

374 posts, read 492,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Which is completely useless to those of us who have zero freezer space.
Then get freezer space, pay the price, or sit on threads....

Old 11-25-2014, 03:58 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborger View Post
Ground Beef is the Hotdog of the Beef World..

not.even.close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living