Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:46 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
May I ask, how do you get a landline for $20.00 a month? We had a landline phone until 2012 thru
Comcast (other option available was ATT) now it's a cell. I do miss having a landline for a couple
of reasons.
I only pay 3.83 for my phone a month and I get free long distance and bells and whistles like caller id ect ect. from an ooma phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 08:02 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
I only pay 3.83 for my phone a month and I get free long distance and bells and whistles like caller id ect ect. from an ooma phone
This is why I chose OBi+Google voice. No monthly cost after the initial purchase.

And I LOVE Google Voice. What a great piece of software. I use my phone as my work phone so if I'm away I can always check my voicemail remotely with my cellphone and can even link my cellphone to GVoice so it will ring simultaneously to both phones. Just a great options and I have these message boards to thank for tuning me on to it.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 AM

353 posts, read 604,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post

I got Ooma long ago and could not be happier. Since I was an early adopter, I was grandfathered in without the FCC fee, so I pay nothing for mine.

I have converted four of my co-workers to Ooma, and for some reason they don't pay a monthly fee, either.
Everyone I know who has it is delighted with it and regret not getting it sooner.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:13 PM

253 posts, read 378,211 times
For cell phones, my hubby and I are switching to Republic Wireless. The monthly charge per phone can be as low as $10 per month. However, we are opting for the plan that includes data for $25 per phone. We need smartphones to manage our business. The plans were included in a Consumer Reports article this month (Jan. 2015) and ranked quite high among both prepaid and non-prepaid phone plans.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:27 PM

353 posts, read 604,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
For cell phones, my hubby and I are switching to Republic Wireless. The monthly charge per phone can be as low as $10 per month. However, we are opting for the plan that includes data for $25 per phone. We need smartphones to manage our business. The plans were included in a Consumer Reports article this month (Jan. 2015) and ranked quite high among both prepaid and non-prepaid phone plans.

I can vouch for Republic, been with them since the beginning. One neat thing about them now, you can change your plan twice a month. So if you know you're going to be constantly near wifi or if you know you won't be using your phone for a while, you can switch to the $5.00 a month plan whenever you want, then switch to one of the higher rate plans when you know you'll be needing 3G or 4G service.

I've really been happy with them, hands down the best/cheapest phone option out there. The only small downside is the fact you have to buy their phone, but the Moto X is a pretty nice phone.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 PM

560 posts, read 599,733 times
Republic Wireless charges you 10 dollars for something that can be done for free. Additionally they oblige you to buy their phone

Old 01-15-2015, 09:01 PM

23 posts, read 36,720 times
Default Republic Wireless rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
I also have been with Republic Wireless for over a year and am happy with them.
If you want a WiFi only plan it is $5 a month.

I have their most popular plan and it is $10 a month for unlimited voice & text on cell (using Sprint or Verizon) plus Wifi (also for voice, text, and data).

They have a $25 plan that includes that features listed above plus 3G cell data (but you really need to be in a Sprint service area because if you are roaming on Verizon you only get 25MB of Data.

The $40 plan includes 4G service in a Sprint service area.

There are not a bunch of extra "hidden" fees either. In my State I pay $2 in tax and fees on my $10 plan or $5.33 on the $25 plan.

It is compatible with Google Voice. It is a pre-paid month to month so you are not locked into their service other than you do have to purchase their ROM-modified phone (from $99 to $399) which currently are the Moto E, G, and X (2nd generation).

Old 01-15-2015, 09:04 PM

23 posts, read 36,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Republic Wireless charges you 10 dollars for something that can be done for free. Additionally they oblige you to buy their phone
Not true. For $10 you get unlimited voice and text using cell towers (or Wifi).

But you do have to buy their phone (or activate a used one you buy elsewhere).

Old 01-16-2015, 06:51 AM

560 posts, read 599,733 times
Try to make those unlimited exclusively on cell towers and tell me how it goes. According to their ToS you are limited to 400 minutes and 150 SMS or your subscription is terminated

Old 01-16-2015, 10:59 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
May I ask, how do you get a landline for $20.00 a month? We had a landline phone until 2012 thru
Comcast (other option available was ATT) now it's a cell. I do miss having a landline for a couple
of reasons.
I don't have a land line right now but our local phone company advertises a basic land line for $12.95, which probably comes to $20 with the taxes and fees. And I think my mom's phone bill is less than $30 which includes a significant number of long distance minutes.

I think most phone companies offer a pretty cheap no-frills land line, it's just not something that's publicized. They'd rather sell you a package with a nice assortment of features you will never use for an inflated price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living