Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:19 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't have a land line right now but our local phone company advertises a basic land line for $12.95, which probably comes to $20 with the taxes and fees. And I think my mom's phone bill is less than $30 which includes a significant number of long distance minutes.

I think most phone companies offer a pretty cheap no-frills land line, it's just not something that's publicized. They'd rather sell you a package with a nice assortment of features you will never use for an inflated price.
Agree with this. We have a land line b/c it's part of our cable package. Was looking into Ooma - but the landline was pretty much same price as w/o for our package.

Now if I could only get the rest of my cable bill down I'd be set- but the damned interned only service is only like 30 bucks cheaper a month anyway...say a prayer for a la cart service one day....

For Cell service we use Cricket- an ATT prepaid- 1GB of highspeed data for 35 bucks a month w/ unlimited 2G data after that- and unlimited talk and text. If you don't need the data it's 25 bucks a month for unlimited talk and text- all on ATT towers (as long as you dont need roaming- not a problem in NJ - service has been great in NY/NJ/PA for me no difference from Verizon). Looking into switching to H20 wirless- $27 a month - unlimited talk text but only 500GB data- hard capped.
BTW- these prices are with all taxes included. I got a free phone (After rebate) and enough referral credits/Tmobile switcher credits that I haven't paid for cell service since Sept last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 03:23 PM

253 posts, read 378,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzmanks View Post
I also have been with Republic Wireless for over a year and am happy with them.
If you want a WiFi only plan it is $5 a month.

I have their most popular plan and it is $10 a month for unlimited voice & text on cell (using Sprint or Verizon) plus Wifi (also for voice, text, and data).

They have a $25 plan that includes that features listed above plus 3G cell data (but you really need to be in a Sprint service area because if you are roaming on Verizon you only get 25MB of Data.

The $40 plan includes 4G service in a Sprint service area.

There are not a bunch of extra "hidden" fees either. In my State I pay $2 in tax and fees on my $10 plan or $5.33 on the $25 plan.

It is compatible with Google Voice. It is a pre-paid month to month so you are not locked into their service other than you do have to purchase their ROM-modified phone (from $99 to $399) which currently are the Moto E, G, and X (2nd generation).
We opted for the middle of the road model (Moto G), which costs $149. We have heard nothing but good reviews from others about the service and are so pleased to kick Verizon to the curb!

Old 01-16-2015, 08:01 PM

560 posts, read 599,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Agree with this. We have a land line b/c it's part of our cable package. Was looking into Ooma - but the landline was pretty much same price as w/o for our package.

Now if I could only get the rest of my cable bill down I'd be set- but the damned interned only service is only like 30 bucks cheaper a month anyway...say a prayer for a la cart service one day....

For Cell service we use Cricket- an ATT prepaid- 1GB of highspeed data for 35 bucks a month w/ unlimited 2G data after that- and unlimited talk and text. If you don't need the data it's 25 bucks a month for unlimited talk and text- all on ATT towers (as long as you dont need roaming- not a problem in NJ - service has been great in NY/NJ/PA for me no difference from Verizon). Looking into switching to H20 wirless- $27 a month - unlimited talk text but only 500GB data- hard capped.
BTW- these prices are with all taxes included. I got a free phone (After rebate) and enough referral credits/Tmobile switcher credits that I haven't paid for cell service since Sept last year.
If you live in NJ definitely look up T Mobile pre paid plan. In my opinion it's the best one. I just don't have a great coverage on t mobile here.

Unlimited voice and texting and 5GB of high speed data which throttles down the speed after. 30 USD

Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 PM

23 posts, read 36,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Try to make those unlimited exclusively on cell towers and tell me how it goes. According to their ToS you are limited to 400 minutes and 150 SMS or your subscription is terminated
I was unable to verify the above information. I've been active in monitoring the Republic Wireless User forums for over a year and never heard that mentioned. I just went and reviewed the ToS at
https://republicwireless.com/info/le...nd-conditions/
and under the Usage Limitations; Off-Network Roaming section 19 (b) it only mentions data limitations. I even searched the document for the "400" and "150" numbers you mention and found no mention of those terms.

Even if you are correct I would still be happy to keep the service since I send more SMS than I do voice calls...but mostly I enjoy the WiFi on the smartphone while away from home or work.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:06 AM

166 posts, read 370,146 times
I haven't read all replies, but to OP's first post, I have this as a landline since Oct 2013. Get Obi100 device, hook it up to your router and attach a landline, you have a free landline.

Those who prefer to keep landline with their providers should check if its indeed copper wiring, as many of the providers are offering VoIP, so power down -> phone down, doesn't really help with the emergencies. Verizon is purposely rotting their copper wire network as its expensive to maintain and so many folks are dumping landlines. So worth looking into this, instead of wasting that money.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:11 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzmanks View Post
I also have been with Republic Wireless for over a year and am happy with them. If you want a WiFi only plan it is $5 a month.
Scratch Wireless is selling WiFi plan for free ($100 to buy phone). In addition you get cellular texting for free.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
I haven't read all replies, but to OP's first post, I have this as a landline since Oct 2013. Get Obi100 device, hook it up to your router and attach a landline, you have a free landline.
I can beat that price. I was able to purchase a LG L34C for $20 and download Google hangouts and Google Voice and I can make and receive phone calls via wireless. No monthly charge.

Another idea is to recharge your cell phone near the base unit of one of these systems, then you can use the handsets throughout the house to make calls via the cell phone. It simulates the feel of a landline, and takes care of spots in older homes (like the basement) where you get poor cellular signal.
$199.70: 8 Handset Connect to Cell™ Answering System with Caller ID/Call Waiting
$89.95: 3 Handset Connect to Cell™ Answering System with Caller ID/Call Waiting
DS6421-3 + five DS6401 - VTech® Cordless Phones
DS6421-3 - VTech® Cordless Phones

Old 02-21-2015, 03:54 PM

995 posts, read 3,929,603 times
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned free 3G data from freedompop. It goes well with GV + Hangouts.

If you don't like freedompop service, there are other very cheap (<$5) LTE data-only plans.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned free 3G data from freedompop. It goes well with GV + Hangouts..
The plan on their website is free, 500MB (4G/3G) Data Limit: 500 MB Additional Data: $0.02 per MB

As a text e-mail uses about 10 k, that would be 500 text message per month for free. Alternatively it could be 8 hours of audio streaming.

Since Freedom Pop charges $99.99 for Samsung Galaxy SIII, If you are primarily a texter I would go with Scratch wireless which charges $99.99 for a Motorola Photon Q and give you unlimited texting over cellular for free forever.

Scratch wireless Passes for cell (Sprint network)
Data Passes (I am not sure of the speed)
$1.99 / 24 hours / unlimited
$14.99 / 30 days / 500 MBs
$24.99 / 30 days / unlimited

Voice Passes
$1.99 / 24 hours / unlimited
$6.99 / 30 days / 100 minutes
$14.99 / 30 days / unlimited

the voice passes are a very good deal, but the data passes depend on the speed. Freedom pop may be a better deal for data.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,254 times
My landline is $10 a month through Time-Warner. Unlimited calling. Internet is 14.95. Together $26.95 a month (taxes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living