Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 04:24 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times

Advertisements

I just got rid of cable and got a MOHU Leaf Antenna and it works really well. One time purchase and nothing else. I get enough channels to satisfy me. I use Netzero for internet. It is reasonable for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 04:39 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I just got rid of cable and got a MOHU Leaf Antenna and it works really well. One time purchase and nothing else. I get enough channels to satisfy me. I use Netzero for internet. It is reasonable for me.
How do you connect NetZero internet is it like Wifi or thru a phone line?

Old 03-07-2015, 04:57 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
I go without internet at home to be frugal. Occasionally - like today - the free WiFi from the library researches my house, but otherwise I can do what I need to do online during breaks at work.

Cable is another story. I'm just not interested at any price. Last time I had it I had something like 200 channels and very seldom found anything worth watching. When I dropped it I learned to take my entertainment from books and hobbies and have never looked back. So it really has nothing to do with frugality.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:12 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
I completely understand needing internet for work. We have a small business and contemplate getting internet at times. Right now we dont absolutely need it and get by without it but possibly in the future if our business grows may needso access more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
What do you pay for home phone plus cellular phones? Let me see if you can save money.

I will use my local cable companies rates for an example
Price includes modem rental / $5 extra for router and wireless access point
25 Mbps Internet / Upload speeds up to 4 Mbps ($40/$50/$60 month for years 1,2, and 3)
10 Mbps Internet / Upload speeds up to 2 Mbps ($30/$40/$50 month for years 1,2, and 3)

Scratchwireless sells phones for $100 apiece. You get one for every member of the family. Around the house they become individual phones using the wi-fi for talk and text. On the road they text using cell towers for free. At the McDonalds or public library they work the same way. NO MONTHLY FEE IS REQUIRED TO USE THEM THIS WAY. In an emergency you can pay $2 if you need to make cell calls for one day.

So now you have wireless in the house and phones that can be used for texting on the road, or talking from public wifi. If your car breaks down you can pay $2 and have a functioning cell phone for the day.

I am willing to bet you have more functionality at a lower monthly rate than you are paying today. I'm betting that you are paying over $100 combined home phone plus cell phones (most families of at least two people are paying that much).

With the internet prices above you would be paying as little as $30/month, or as much as $60+2*$15=$90 for internet plus two scratch wireless phones that are activated for cell talk all the time.
Interesting, I have never heard of those phones before. We only have celll phones, no home phone. Paying $103 monthly with att for both phones unlimited talk & text. It comes with a small amount of data but we blocked data on phones so we know bill wouldnt change. Soon we plan to switch to straight talk and will be $70 a month for talk and text 2 phones. Our att contract is up soon. Just concerned how good they will be, not use to anything but att and verizon.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:17 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I go without internet at home to be frugal. Occasionally - like today - the free WiFi from the library researches my house, but otherwise I can do what I need to do online during breaks at work.

Cable is another story. I'm just not interested at any price. Last time I had it I had something like 200 channels and very seldom found anything worth watching. When I dropped it I learned to take my entertainment from books and hobbies and have never looked back. So it really has nothing to do with frugality.
This is really how we are also. We were hardly home to watch tv and like you said, many channel's and didnt care for most of it. It was not needed for us but of course the saving money part is a big plus!

Old 03-07-2015, 08:05 PM

749 posts, read 852,769 times
We don't have cable tv, it's too expensive but we do pay to have internet. We could use the library wifi for free but the convenience of having internet at home is worth it to us for now. Hope they don't keep raising the price though!

Old 03-07-2015, 08:11 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Internets yes, cable no. I haven't had cable in years, no going back now.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
We don't have cable tv, it's too expensive but we do pay to have internet. We could use the library wifi for free but the convenience of having internet at home is worth it to us for now. Hope they don't keep raising the price though!
Normally, there is more than one provider, and if the current one won't make a deal with me, I switch. I kept my ATT wireless modem, so if Charter wont' deal with me when my contract is up, then back to ATT I go LOL!

I called ATT and asked them to deal with me and the guy I spoke to (in the Philippines?) said no. After I switched, ATT called me and said they were ready to deal. Too late!

Old 03-07-2015, 08:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Going without internet would not be frugal for me. How would I shop? How would I deposit checks? How would I do research? All of these would be less frugal without the internet.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 PM

195 posts, read 186,303 times
I have cable in order to have decent Net. I"m overseas, and the other type of connection just did the hoover thing. as in vacumn cleaner, ya know? :-) It's miraculous what the $20 per month means in the way of instantly being able to do research. TV I can and always have and always will just do without. it's too addicting/ridiculous. The Walking Dead, and the survival shows, I like to watch, but I can catch them on youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living