Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 07:01 PM

511 posts, read 508,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
That's why I love watching things online, you can pause and resume when you want and no commercials.
Yep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 07:02 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times
A few people mentioned shopping online can save money. I do agree and whenever we plan to purchase something we check amazon, ebay, craigslist or walmart/box stores for deals. Though we dont have home internet we do use it in other ways. Famiy, free wifi spots and the library. Also printing coupons for restaurants at times.

Also, I hate it when cable providers call about signing up. Since canceling with directv, they have called many times. I say no thanks, do not need it or use it enough to make it worth it. Then they just act like I must be poor to not have it. Has nothing to do with being poor (least for us) its just a way to save money and use that money elsewhere.

I also agree I wouldnt take cable again even for free, though I liked hgtv and cooking channels, wasnt much else worth watching, least for me. We have plunty of other things to keep us entertained that doesnt cost a thing.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:25 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
I have cable, but don't watch much TV. I also have hi-speed internet and would really hate to give it up. TV would go first, if something happened and I needed to cut back.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:27 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
I don't have cable or satellite. I would love to have it, but it's cost-prohibitive. I just use the digital box thing. I had 11Mbps internet last year, but downgraded to 6Mbps this year. That speed works great for the things I need it for. I can't imagine being without internet though. I find various ways to pass the time online. I learn a lot from things I read/see online.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Comcast is awful with that, they are like the mob they set their own fees and lie and tell you it will cost you more to just have internet than to keep the package you have now.
Ours is Time Warner, but pretty much the same, tactic-wise.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:16 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Giving up internet in the 21st Century is like giving up books or telephones, it is too isolating, the internet is really a utility now.

Cable TV can go however, it's like a drug but you can kick it successfully.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:25 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Giving up internet in the 21st Century is like giving up books or telephones, it is too isolating, the internet is really a utility now.
Given that everyone reading and posting in this forum is accessing the internet somehow, I don't think that point is up for debate.

The question at hand is whether people have given up or could give up paying for internet and just using whatever free sources a person might have available.

Last edited by duster1979; 03-10-2015 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 10:41 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Given that everyone reading and posting in this forum is accessing the internet somehow, I don't think that point is up for debate.

The question at hand is whether people have or could given up paying for internet and just using whatever free sources a person might have available.

I gave up cable, land line phone and internet several years ago as it was just too high. I cut all expenses to the bone and concentrated on paying off my house.

After one year, I received an ipad with a monthly paid data plan through work and I made do with that (had to watch data useage though).

Then Google came to my town (YAY!) and for a $350 installation fee, I have super high speed internet that is free for 7 years. Otherwise, I'd still be without internet.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I could live without cable tv now because of the internet, which I can't live without. I haven't given it up because I haven't had to but it, and my wired home phone service, would be the first to go if things got to that point.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:02 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I gave up cable, land line phone and internet several years ago as it was just too high. I cut all expenses to the bone and concentrated on paying off my house.

After one year, I received an ipad with a monthly paid data plan through work and I made do with that (had to watch data useage though).

Then Google came to my town (YAY!) and for a $350 installation fee, I have super high speed internet that is free for 7 years. Otherwise, I'd still be without internet.
I am not familiar with the Google you are referring to. Care to explain it or provide some sort of link to the information? Never mind, I see it. I Googled it. Do you do any movie streaming, and if so do you find the 5 Mbps sufficient for that, as well as YouTube? The TV/Internet package looks good, but as usual you only get one box, and have to purchase additional, or probably rent for each tv, and with taxes your up there as with regular TV. Only advantage would be cloud storage for viewing while away, and very fast internet.

How has your experience been with it thus far?

Last edited by modhatter; 03-10-2015 at 02:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living