Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:35 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,149,172 times

Advertisements

I have almost always bought new cars. There are some advantages in addition to enjoying something new. I always took care of the oil and fluid changes. I drove with reasonable care. My cars lasted a long time with minimal repairs and maintenance. I was able to get more than 10 years and about 300k miles out of each car.

I have not been all that lucky with used cars. Now that I am retired I can afford the nuisance and time needed for repairs but even so the costs have been considerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 12:24 PM

18,570 posts, read 15,704,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
Thanks all for your replies. I should add that the reason I am asking this question and considering ridding myself of the monthly payments is that currently my commute to work and back is 40 minutes each way. So I wanted to have a reliable car vs buying an $8k Honda Fit or the like. But I may soon be moving closer to work (like within 2 miles) and am also looking to buy a house closer to work and want to increase my buying power. One way I could think of to do this is to sell off the car I just bought less than 2 years ago (and am making $336/mo payments on), and get an $8K Honda Fit. I figure the $336 could be used to get into a nicer house (or get me into range to buy a good property near work), and since my commute would be so short, it wouldn't be as critical to go with a newer car for commute.

But like you said, and I kind of felt the same after thinking about it.. I only have $13k left on the car loan, and if I sell it (to CarMax or something) I'd get like $4k cash after the loan is paid off by CarMax. Then I'd still need another $4K cash just to buy the Honda Fit, which would mean I essentially would only be $9K away from paying off the car. And after 5 years of ownership I think I'll still be able to get a good amount for it, while being able to use it for another 3 years. This seems like the better path. or, as some of you have suggested, once paid off, keep driving it another 10 years or so to really get to most out of the dollars spent on it, and allow me to save more money once it's paid off, either to invest and/or to build a fund for my next car (which will be 2-3 years old rather than brand new, to do things the prudent way and avoid making the same mistake of buying new again).
Be careful about borrowing the max banks will lend you. A lot of people get burned this way. If a $336 car payment makes or breaks a mortgage approval you probably shouldn't buy the house, as to do so leaves you with little ability to save for emergencies and retirement, not to mention the eventual next car.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:11 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,330,156 times
Every buy and sell transaction is going to cost you, either a margin for a middleman, or a buy/sell price spread. So the best thing to do is to reduce to zero the number of transactions. In other words, keep the car, even after it is paid off, until it deteriorates to the point at which you need to replace it rather than repair it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living