Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:03 AM

6,722 posts, read 5,971,377 times

Advertisements

A few months ago, I found a deal on Groupon for my local paper: the Sunday Globe plus online access, $40 for 26 weeks.

The Sunday paper usually comes with a couple of coupon booklets, and I clip them vigorously. I've used them to pick up all sorts of products that probably I wouldn't ordinarily buy, but it makes it cheap enough to sample.

Also, there are some good deals on staples. A Colgate toothpaste $1.00 coupon which I used for a regular-size tube that was already on sale (two for $4), hence got a tube for $1.00. Silk Soymilk, $1.00 off, total cost $1.50

Last week there was a Target flyer with a $5 gift card award for a minimum $25 purchase. I needed about $25 worth of cosmetics so went for it.

I got $1.50 off two Campbell's chicken pot pie mixes which cut the price in half. Ordinarily I wouldn't buy, but I was intrigued to try. Last night we made one of them and it was quite delicious. (I used bone-in frozen thighs which took longer to cook - next time would use completely thawed bone-free thigh meat). I added some frozen veggies, the meat, and some cut up onion, and we made a pastry for the top. It fed three people last night, will probably feed us again tonight and maybe lunch the next day.

I would say, this subscription has paid for itself. I never realized that the paid Sunday subscription came with such a cornucopia of coupons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 09:52 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,317,801 times
Couponing works if you are dedicated, organized, aren't brand loyal and know how to stack coupons with sales. I used to do that when I had to watch my budget closer. These days, I buy more basic ingredients and cook closer to "from scratch". I'll use a coupon if it's handy or can get something at a major discount, but don't go out looking for them.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:05 AM

23,642 posts, read 70,610,408 times
It works and yet it doesn't work. Back when the authors of the comic strips were allowed free rein of what they put in their strips, I subscribed to newspapers. I would scour the coupons and sometimes come across some great deals - enough that I too considered the subscription as having paid for itself.

What I DIDN'T take into account was that looking at and evaluating coupons put me in a consumer mode of thinking - "Is this cheap enough for me to consider BUYING this product?" - "This product looks interesting, but the coupon is not worth the effort." Trying stuff that I normally wouldn't buy, based on enticing coupons, just encouraged spending and going to stores.

Price points are another area where coupons can offer false savings. I've regularly seen that Silk Soymilk for sale in the dollar store for a dollar. $X off allows for stores to inflate pricing with less initial sticker shock, and removes part of the pain of an overpricing by giving a "reward" for being a coupon shopper.

Getting out of the coupon mentality has allowed me to focus more on what I want, and more on normal life.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:03 AM

32,706 posts, read 48,282,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
........ chicken pot pie mixes which cut the price in half.......(I used bone-in frozen thighs ........added some frozen veggies, the meat, and some cut up onion, and we made a pastry for the top. .....
OK, so you provided the chicken, the vegetables, the onion, and the pastry. That's everything that goes into a pot pie, so just exactly what does this pot pie mix contribute?

Old 06-25-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OK, so you provided the chicken, the vegetables, the onion, and the pastry. That's everything that goes into a pot pie, so just exactly what does this pot pie mix contribute?
The creamy, seasoned sauce.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:04 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,447,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The creamy, seasoned sauce.

Just use a can of cream of chicken soup

Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,317,801 times
Chicken Pot Pie IX Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Here's a recipe for chicken pot pie I have used and liked. I substituted coriander for the celery seed. I also read some of the reviews and tweaked the recipe based on those. My crew loves it.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:22 PM

61,960 posts, read 87,594,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It works and yet it doesn't work. Back when the authors of the comic strips were allowed free rein of what they put in their strips, I subscribed to newspapers. I would scour the coupons and sometimes come across some great deals - enough that I too considered the subscription as having paid for itself.

What I DIDN'T take into account was that looking at and evaluating coupons put me in a consumer mode of thinking - "Is this cheap enough for me to consider BUYING this product?" - "This product looks interesting, but the coupon is not worth the effort." Trying stuff that I normally wouldn't buy, based on enticing coupons, just encouraged spending and going to stores.

Price points are another area where coupons can offer false savings. I've regularly seen that Silk Soymilk for sale in the dollar store for a dollar. $X off allows for stores to inflate pricing with less initial sticker shock, and removes part of the pain of an overpricing by giving a "reward" for being a coupon shopper.

Getting out of the coupon mentality has allowed me to focus more on what I want, and more on normal life.
^^^ THIS!!!
While I do sometimes use coupons, I found that those valuable enough to use are on the decline. I also noticed increase in coupons for goods that I less likely need on a weekly basis. (deodorants, cough medications etc.) Not to mention that often I would have to purchase 2 to 10 of the item for the coupon to be valid
Most coupons are for low quality stuff, or new items on the market, or processed/junk food or drinks. I don't buy them, no matter what they cost. (If you want to eat actual real food made with good quality ingredients, you're kind of placed out of the coupon game.) On the other hand, there are barely any price cuts on healthier items like lean meats, low-fat dairy products or fresh fruits and veggies.
Before pushing out a coupon code, many retailers will jack up all of their prices to full retail. Many brands even with coupon cost more than generics. Stockpiling leads to overspending...

There are many other ways to save money. Buy quality not quantity, control your fridge and supplies, reuse and re-purpose, eat or freeze leftovers, or create new dishes from them, cut the waste to a minimum.

OP spent $40 for 6 months subscription to get a weekly coupon booklets - I hope the coupons are worth the money, to her....

Old 06-25-2015, 05:33 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,372,508 times
Most coupons simply discount processed food. They want you to buy things you don't need.

But I never eat processed food.

So I don't use coupons.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ THIS!!!
While I do sometimes use coupons, I found that those valuable enough to use are on the decline. I also noticed increase in coupons for goods that I less likely need on a weekly basis. (deodorants, cough medications etc.) Not to mention that often I would have to purchase 2 to 10 of the item for the coupon to be valid
Most coupons are for low quality stuff, or new items on the market, or processed/junk food or drinks. I don't buy them, no matter what they cost. (If you want to eat actual real food made with good quality ingredients, you're kind of placed out of the coupon game.) On the other hand, there are barely any price cuts on healthier items like lean meats, low-fat dairy products or fresh fruits and veggies.
Before pushing out a coupon code, many retailers will jack up all of their prices to full retail. Many brands even with coupon cost more than generics. Stockpiling leads to overspending...

There are many other ways to save money. Buy quality not quantity, control your fridge and supplies, reuse and re-purpose, eat or freeze leftovers, or create new dishes from them, cut the waste to a minimum.

OP spent $40 for 6 months subscription to get a weekly coupon booklets - I hope the coupons are worth the money, to her....
Well, no. I subscribed to the paper because I wanted to read the paper; the coupons are just a nice bonus.

I agree that a lot of coupons are processed fast foods or specialty items rather than staples, but there are still a few good values in there, like the deals I mentioned above.

An awful lot of coupons are for 2 or more items, which I usually don't want. The ones I look out for are "$1 off any one Colgate toothpaste", that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living