Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 03:42 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,101,072 times

Advertisements

Folks, once again we are likely to be facing a government shutdown at the end of the fiscal year. Many of us Federal employees and families have weathered this storm before.

This is not a 'woe is me, disaster looms' thread -- far from it! Government shutdowns are almost an annual event, and prudent individuals have always prepared to carry on seamlessly without several paychecks.

But this year's potential shutdown carries a new situation: Dept of Agriculture has already sent out notification to the states that this year they do not have funds on hand to cover Food Stamps, and for the states not to issue food stamps beginning 01OCT2015.

This is just now hitting mainstream media.

Most of us Frugal Forum readers would probably not be directly affected.

But virtually all of us would be indirectly affected: Family members, neighbors, coworkers and others in our individual personal community would suddenly find themselves without food stamps.

Each of us needs to come up with a personal ethical strategy to deal with this.

As for myself, I plan to sack up ziplock baggies with 6 ounces of protein powder and one multivitamin and carry them around ready to hand out to anyone who asks me to help them out. (that is, to friends, neighbors, coworkers, not to strangers).

Protein powder and a vitamin would keep someone alive and relatively healthy for a full day. If I were destitute, I would be extremely grateful for it!

How are others planning to give a planned and measured response to their community when or if food stamps are cut off?

Nota bene: I do not want this to become a self-defence, survivalist discussion about gunning down hordes of zombies. This is about prudent individuals thinking through how we plan to act in a relatively stable community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 04:04 AM

This is a relatively non-alarmist, fact-based mainstream media article:

Food stamp payments could stop with Oct. 1 government shutdown | AL.com

A google search for '2015 government shutdown ebt food stamps' will pull up numerous other articles, many of them less news-based left wing opinion pieces.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:36 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Folks, once again we are likely to be facing a government shutdown at the end of the fiscal year. Many of us Federal employees and families have weathered this storm before.

This is not a 'woe is me, disaster looms' thread -- far from it! Government shutdowns are almost an annual event, and prudent individuals have always prepared to carry on seamlessly without several paychecks.

But this year's potential shutdown carries a new situation: Dept of Agriculture has already sent out notification to the states that this year they do not have funds on hand to cover Food Stamps, and for the states not to issue food stamps beginning 01OCT2015.

This is just now hitting mainstream media.

Most of us Frugal Forum readers would probably not be directly affected.

But virtually all of us would be indirectly affected: Family members, neighbors, coworkers and others in our individual personal community would suddenly find themselves without food stamps.

Each of us needs to come up with a personal ethical strategy to deal with this.

As for myself, I plan to sack up ziplock baggies with 6 ounces of protein powder and one multivitamin and carry them around ready to hand out to anyone who asks me to help them out. (that is, to friends, neighbors, coworkers, not to strangers).

Protein powder and a vitamin would keep someone alive and relatively healthy for a full day. If I were destitute, I would be extremely grateful for it!

How are others planning to give a planned and measured response to their community when or if food stamps are cut off?

Nota bene: I do not want this to become a self-defence, survivalist discussion about gunning down hordes of zombies. This is about prudent individuals thinking through how we plan to act in a relatively stable community.
Getting all one's calories from protein is a recipe for nitrogen overload and kidney failure.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Getting all one's calories from protein is a recipe for nitrogen overload and kidney failure.
Not recommending it as a daily diet for optimal health by any means.

But a packet of protein powder and a multivitamin seems like a reasonable compromise between telling someone;

"Back off the porch before I blast the day lights out of you"

OR

"Oh you poor dear you didn't get your food stamps, here come take advantage of me"

A measured, thought out and prepared response to someone else's misfortune or bad judgement.

IF this .gov shutdown occurs less than a week from now, the food stamp cut off is going to take a lot of people quite unawares.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:24 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Nobody is going to accept food/power/vitamin that you have put in a baggie!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:39 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,373 times
This will effect about all of our tenants. Though I suspect some to be very much mooching off the governent anyways.

as far as family and friends, I am not aware of anyone on assistance. Hm I have no planned out intentions.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Nobody is going to accept food/power/vitamin that you have put in a baggie!
Good thought. Maybe canned tuna.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post

as far as family and friends, I am not aware of anyone on assistance.
A lot of us may not be personally close to anyone on assistance, but I think we can all count on a lot of desperate long lost cousins and acquaintances "coming out of the woodwork".

I just think it's prudent to have already thought through what degree of measured, appropriate assistance we might choose to hand out, say to a coworker who says her sisters kids are starving.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 5 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Default Government Is Not The Be-All, End-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post

[~Yaaawwwwn~] Won't bother me a bit. I'm still going on vacation next Friday.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:15 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Does anyone else find this thread odd?

I don't know anyone on assistance, or anyone who would feel comfortable asking me for food because their stamps were cut off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living