Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 04:58 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

how ? if you have to ask that then that is the problem . they find a way-you find an excuse .

it is called creativity .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 05:25 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
After about 10 years of toiling and trying to save, wife and I targeted getting our income higher continuously and it's worked marvelously. At some point, your pent up demand is satiated and you start seriously saving. We have gone from minimal wealth in 15 years to now making more on our investments than most people earn....hasn't been easy but it's now rewarding.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:30 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
how ? if you have to ask that then that is the problem . they find a way-you find an excuse .

I know that you are tired of hearing this. The only example I have from within my direct experience is that we have had many renters who have had higher salary than I had. With a higher salary they could only afford to rent, from me. Whereas I with a lower salary could afford to buy the apartment complex and be their landlord.

I have been in hundreds of face-to-face conversations with tenants whose paychecks were more than mine, about this exact topic.

In my world, they earn more so they would be even better enabled to buy a four-plex. In their world, they are wage-slaves doomed to be renters. I clearly had some hidden secret or silver spoon inheritance that allowed me to buy property.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I know that you are tired of hearing this. The only example I have from within my direct experience is that we have had many renters who have had higher salary than I had. With a higher salary they could only afford to rent, from me. Whereas I with a lower salary could afford to buy the apartment complex and be their landlord.

I have been in hundreds of face-to-face conversations with tenants whose paychecks were more than mine, about this exact topic.

In my world, they earn more so they would be even better enabled to buy a four-plex. In their world, they are wage-slaves doomed to be renters. I clearly had some hidden secret or silver spoon inheritance that allowed me to buy property.

What can I buy with $15K income?

Old 10-09-2016, 01:33 PM

a gun . because it is the only way you will ever have anything .

Old 10-09-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
which is why working in a high cost of living city like ny where wages are 3x the national average can be a good thing .

relocate to cheapsville with that much juicier ss check from the higher wages and you are much further ahead than the locals would be working there all their lives.

throw in selling that nice expensive home and you can go from middle class to wealthy in cheapsville .

So fast food wages are like $20 per hour?

Old 10-09-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:

More like...it's called connections.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:50 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You've read all the articles about how to pinch pennies and how to make your money work for you and how you, too, can save a million dollars in 20 years just like this couple did (picture deleted because I burned it in a hex ceremony)!

So here you are. You've just paid the rent or the mortgage, the utilities, the car insurance, bought some gas (not enough to get you to work for the whole month) and some food (not enough to see you through the month), and you have $4 left in cash. And you need clothes, a haircut, shoes for the kids, etc, etc.

So come on now - let's get some suggestions on how to grow that money! Let's hear it for saving $2 a year and how much that will get you in 50 years! Do you turn off the heat at night even in winter to save on utility bills? Do you farm out your kids? Do you wear shoes with holes in them because the soles are still good? Do you wear pants until there's holes in the rear or shirts until they're deemed indecent by definition of city law? Did you go poo free because you can't afford shampoo?

Did you sign a DNR order with your spouse so he/she can't take extraordinary measures to save your life (like calling for an ambulance or taking you to the hospital)? Is one meal a day the norm for you? Do you consider popcorn and water to be a nutritious meal? Do you turn underwear inside out and reuse it (do NOT tell us about the dental floss in any way, shape, or form)? If you find a dollar, do you turn it in to the police because you're afraid someone has lost a valuable asset?

If you do any of the above (and more), you're qualified to tell us how to make our money work when we don't have any. GO FOR IT!
Disagree with your premise. You make money with leverage and earnings, not by piddly individual cost savings (e.g. wearing clothes with holes - eww). So anyone who advocates this approach would not be "qualified to tell me how to make my money work."

Old 10-09-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So fast food wages are like $20 per hour?
no i said salary averages . some jobs are lower and some higher . that is what an average is . the average of a basket of salary's is 3x the national average for the same basket ..

NY average salary is $82,110, median salary is $66,560 with a salary range from $18,464 to $2,061,817.. in order to compare though you have to remember nyc does not have a lot of jobs other parts of the country do as well as salary's vary by job .

compared to where we had the house in pa my pay was 2x more not 3x .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-09-2016 at 02:07 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 03:41 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What can I buy with $15K income?
You keep asking, I keep explaining. round n' round we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living