Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 06:48 AM

10,196 posts, read 7,862,661 times

Advertisements

I dread this time of year. It's always so frustrating to deal with Time Warner. They don't want to deal with you. I can call 10 times and get 10 different responses. They all want to change your service....take away this, add that. I just want to keep everything as is, but not pay the 35.00 a month increase.

I end up repeating all my info. so many times, it's tiring. I just want to speak to the one person that can help me and not feed me a bunch of pre-typed out responses.

I always ask for retentions so I know that trick. Is there a better way of contacting billing besides on the phone? Message board, social media? I need someone that is allowed to work my bill to get it back near what it is.

These people working in billing can't adjust your bill unless you get on new promo with added phone or less internet speed and that sort of thing. I want to keep as is.

Any suggestion would be appreciative....other than just calling retentions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 12:47 PM

107,211 posts, read 109,563,580 times
we took a deal with a phone because it was cheaper than the deals with no phone , but we have no phone . we do not need or use a landline at all .

Old 09-12-2016, 02:14 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,525,540 times
Diddly:

I will be facing that in December.

I have a spouse, so as LAST RESORT OPTION, I will cancel my service, and have my spouse restart the service.

I will simply call and ask if I can get the same deal extended, and if not, I will tell them they WILL lose a customer. I know I can get 9 digital channels in my area{though not always successful}. They USUALLY have extended the deal at least one more year BEFORE you start to have problems.

I remind them the $$ I pay is ALL it is worth to me to have THEIR services.......if they don't want to accommodate me, I will terminate service and go to the library or other venue with FREE WIFI and use my laptop.

In the end, I rely on the wifi for everything form computer, to cell phone to streaming videos when TWC has NOTING on I want to watch.

The worst part is they have a monopoly here, no other provider except those stupid dish companies and they don't come close....

BEst of luck!

Old 09-12-2016, 02:20 PM

107,211 posts, read 109,563,580 times
basically when you call and tell them you are leaving you need a contract number from the new carrier you are going with or they do not do much . we have verizon living in our building with their deals now . they have a table downstairs .

we told them we were going to leave . they said there is nothing they can do anymore just because someone says they are leaving . everyone does it .

the best we got was the deal with the phone . so it is 20 bucks less a month , big deal

Old 09-13-2016, 08:46 AM

10,196 posts, read 7,862,661 times
Thanks everyone. I will try the deal with phone if it helps and if don't need to actually install.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:02 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,965,642 times
Just cancel. Cable is a rip off. Go with Netflix and Hulu.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:10 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,038,375 times
You can try going into the local TWC store. I usually pay my Time Warner Cable bill online, but one month, I had to go into the store anyway to swap out a modem. While I was there, I paid my bill in-store. When the rep pulled up my account, she asked me, "Why are you paying so much?"

I just stood there, like, "Ummm...you tell me?"

Our TWC bill was almost $300 a month at that point. She typed in a few things and clicked a few buttons, and next thing I knew, my bill was down to just over $140 a month, AND I only had to pay something like $5 for the current month because I was given a credit for overpaying...

I do love today's tech-savvy world, but sometimes it is a good thing to deal with a real, live, local person with such matters. Give it a try?

Old 09-13-2016, 10:31 PM

10,641 posts, read 12,205,382 times
I am a LOYAL customer kind of person, hate to switch or leave any business I’m happy with because of “just money.”

But I have to say I’m sick to death of cable providers, and maybe I’m just mad at myself. Because I’ve never been able to get a provider to extend the exact deal I’ve had when that deal has run out. Maybe I just cave too quickly, maybe I don’t know the right department to ask for, may I don’t use the ‘secret phrase’ that gets them to give you the deal.

Now, finally Verizon is up to a monthly amount high enough that I AM willing to leave.

When I’ve called before (at the end of every 2-year-deal) they've offered ‘faster internet’ or more channels – or whatever they throw out there – BUT at a discounted rate on THAT service which I wasn’t even asking for. Just for example, if I was paying $ 110 a month for a Triple Play, they’d say well “I can give you faster internet for just 10.00 more a month.” I say I called to lower my bill, not increase it ONLY $10 for speed I don’t need. Then they say well I could give you a premium channel that should be 20.00 a month -- for “ONLY” $10. What don’t these people get. The point is to LOWER the bill NOT add s service.

When I call this week, they either MATCH the competitor’s deal I have, or I’m telling them cut off the service right then.

I’m going to call the competitor first see how long it will take to get an appointment, and get an appointment date . Then call Verizon the day before that, if they don’t budge they can shut it off right then because the next day I’ll have new service, and I won’t even be out of commission for 24 hours.

I’m done with these companies. If I have to switch every two to four years so be it. $80.00 a month less for two years is worth it. That’s a whole ‘nother bill that can be paid with that money.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:46 AM

85 posts, read 143,856 times
I just went thru this a couple of weeks ago. Same $35 increase in my bill. I called. They dropped it down $15, but said it was the best they could do. I told them to cancel it.

I did that a few years ago - went 1 year without cable - but ended up picking it back up again. But that time I only had Amazon Prime and Netflix for streaming (I gave Hulu a try and didn't care for it). They've come out with a lot of new options now - I can have my Netflix and maybe 2 other services - for cheaper than I've been paying for cable. I'll probably try out Hulu again, Playstation Vue and Sling. Love that there are no contracts and I can cancel at any time!

Old 09-17-2016, 01:40 PM

5,268 posts, read 3,638,797 times
I have to use TWC because that's what is wired in my building, I can't pretend I'm going with another cable system.

So what I did, and you've heard this before but it's still true anyway, I bought a Roku, subscribed to Netflix, I have Amazon Prime anyway where I do most of my shopping & added a few other apps esp Filmon that gives me most of the British cable channels, & Youtube & I am completely content after my withdrawal period subsided.

I don't watch sports, mostly movies & docs & music. Youtube is amazing, full length movies & docs, lots of new professional series, tons of niche programs & concerts. Last night I watched about an hour of British rock live performances from 1962 - 1966 including The Beatles, early Who, etc..., also lots of Carson, George Carlin, a ton o' stuff.

My bill went down from $150/mo to $40/mo (+ $10 for Netflix) for internet only now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living