Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:21 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I've been using a Google Voice number with one of those Obi boxes as a "home phone" for a few years now. Google Voice can be a little glitchy sometimes and I've had to reboot or reset my Obi box a time or two. (Check the forums at the Obihai website). I have it hooked to a regular home handheld telephone set.

But for FREE calls I've been totally happy with it.

We have Tracfone cell phones that cost us less than $100 year for light use away from home. We use the the Google Voice at home for making long phone calls.

When we are away from home I have Google Voice set to send me a text on my cell phone when I get a voicemail. It's my answering machine.

I also use the Google Voice number to text from my computer sometimes.
Ditto here too.

I've used Google Voice even before they were GV. They used be a company called GrandCentral.com and then Google bought them. So I've had my GV number for over 10 yrs. Anyway, I love the service so much. I purchased an Obihai adapter 6 years ago so I'd be able to have all my cordless phones be on GV. GV is the only phone number I give out and I can answer calls on my cell or on my cordless handset at home or even at work if I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 06:57 AM

43,689 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Forgive me if this topic has been posted before but I did not see it. I'm thinking about switching from Vonage to Google voice for my home phone. I know GV is primarily used for cell phones, but if you buy this adapter, then you could use your google voice as your land line. (At least how I think it works)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I actually like Vonage but I NEVER use my house phone. I probably made a total of 10 minutes worth of calls since June. I'm only paying roughly $6.00 a month for Vonage's pay as you go plan, and since I barely make phone calls on my home phone, the fee is relatively low. However, I am hesitant to give up a good and inexpensive concept like Vonage's plan to go with free but an unknown service like google voice.

Has anyone used google voice, either on their cell phone or on their land line? Is there any hidden fees that I should be aware of? Are the calls crystal clear or are they spotty?

One can use Vonage from one's cellphone as well as Vonage allows a user to have up to 2 extensions. Vonage gives you a toll free number to call from your cellphone and then you enter your access code and use as if calling from your Vonage home number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Ditto here too.

I've used Google Voice even before they were GV. They used be a company called GrandCentral.com and then Google bought them. So I've had my GV number for over 10 yrs. Anyway, I love the service so much. I purchased an Obihai adapter 6 years ago so I'd be able to have all my cordless phones be on GV. GV is the only phone number I give out and I can answer calls on my cell or on my cordless handset at home or even at work if I want.
I too originally got a Grand Central number which then became a Google Voice number. I only use my GV number when traveling overseas when I call American numbers from Google Hangouts/dialer app.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:11 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
What do you use as an adapter for your home phone?
We use an obi box. You can't dial 9-1-1 from that, but we also have a cell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living