Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 06:22 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
WE can all agree that we're frugal on this board, but how frugal were you when it came to your wedding? This includes any wedding/engagement rings, invites, wedding planning, etc... I don't need exact numbers but did your wedding put a heavy dent in your frugalness?
Nope. We did a wedding/reception/honeymoon we could afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 09:01 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
I was young and my parents paid for the ceremony and reception, as was the custom at the time. Our honeymoon was a wedding gift from a family friend. My natural bent toward simplicity and frugality blossomed later.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:00 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Hubby and I were high school sweethearts and got married as soon as I finished college, so parents paid for most of it, but it was still really inexpensive. We got married in their backyard (big nice beautiful yard), our wedding cake was from Costco (much more edible), my uncle took the photos, the music was from some CDs I collected (it was 2000), officiator was a justice of the peace. We did have to rent a shade tent because it was about 105 degrees the day of the wedding. My dress was $300, our rings were the biggest expense, at about $1000 between them. Overall, for everything, probably $3000-$4000. We honeymooned at our family's cabin near Yellowstone, so only had to pay for a couple tanks of gas, and our food.

It was a beautiful day, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:32 AM

483 posts, read 418,557 times
Nope.
For the judge n ministry, register, medical (bloodwork dunno why) and other basic requirements.
And a pretty expensive lunch for his mom n dad and us.

Been 20 years and we still happily married.
Cheapo marriage.

Had a friend married a couple months after us spending good money on lots of showey stuffs.. divorced within a year.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
WE can all agree that we're frugal on this board, but how frugal were you when it came to your wedding? This includes any wedding/engagement rings, invites, wedding planning, etc... I don't need exact numbers but did your wedding put a heavy dent in your frugalness?
Our wedding was large and a formal wedding, but still done on a fairly small budget. Some things, we paid nothing for, other things were more costly.

-My gown was free (designer gown giveaway for military weddings), my spouse wore dress blues, so no tux rental or purchase.

-reception venue was cheap (we got married off-season, in winter, so deeply discounted), all-inclusive (open bar, dj, linens, emcee, table settings, photo booth, names on marquee - it was a former 1940s movie house- were all included in the price).

-Food was very inexpensive, by wedding food standards. We did buffet style, and had our favorite Kansas City BBQ joint cater it. So we had mountains of BBQd meat (three different meats, four different sides, and it was I think priced at 13 bucks per head.

-rings were inexpensive- we got matching plain gold bands from the Navy Exchange, tax free. Very simple and plain.

-photographer was a Navy buddy of my husband's, a combat photographer, lol. He did it for free and gave me all the photos on disc.

-flowers were very inexpensive, they were bunches of baby's breath.

-We didn't have a cake, because I hate cake.

-I made all the table decs and programs.

We spent under $4k. A lot compared to courthouse/backyard weddings, but pretty minimal for 200-guest, large formal weddings incorporating banquet venues. We had set aside $8,000, so came in well under budget. We used the leftover money on our honeymoon in Scotland.

You can obviously elope for the cost of a marriage license, if that's your preference . But, for a full traditional wedding with all the trimmings, we did well.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:47 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
We had a more inexpensive type of wedding. It cost under 5K and this was over ten years ago. The only problem was that apparently a few people decided not to attend because they found out it wasn't going to be some huge, expensive affair.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:10 PM

483 posts, read 418,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
My first wedding in 1976 cost me $10 . Went to a judge. Had to wait two hours.... there was a big drug trial going on.......
👍👍👍❤
You beat mine out.
Mine was about $100 +/- plus lunch.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:18 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
We made money as I put in vending machines for food.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:19 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I think we spent about $200, including the rings and our clothes and taking the family out to lunch afterwards.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:42 PM

80 posts, read 70,326 times
I'm getting married in January. My mom is contributing 10k, looks like actual costs will land around 8k. This is for 75 people but does not include rings. No idea what my fiancé spent on my ring. I am buying him one for $800ish but doesn't seem appropriate to use my moms money for that. We are likely waiting a while for a honeymoon so we can pay cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living