Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 01:09 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,430 times

Advertisements

I feel like a jerk now...

Old 11-01-2016, 01:28 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,432,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Don't feel like a jerk.......it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's a little early for popcorn.... I will just keep an eye on this thread once a day. Ya can't beat a good tipping thread..........

Won't be long now before the 'I always give 20% tip, even for take out' crew arrive............ I love it!!

Old 11-01-2016, 06:19 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
It was an honest mistake and it sounds like you'll act differently in the future, so really no big deal. I had a similar instance. I am by no means a frequent air traveler. When my wife and I were going on our honeymoon, my parents dropped us off at the airport. There were workers outside who offered to take our luggage. Not being familiar with air travel, I let them. The guy told me "you're all set". I said thanks and started walking. He then got a bit of an attitude and repeated himself. At that point I realized you are supposed to tip them, and if you want to check your bags yourself you do it at the counter. I was not prepared and only had large bills. I felt incredibly guilty for my ignorance. In fact I still feel bad years later!

As for the couple of people saying not to tip, that isn't "frugal living", it is just plain cheap. If you're getting food from a full service restaurant a tip is part of the deal whether or not you are dining in. If you don't want to tip, go elsewhere. I'm not a fan of the tipping system in the US either, but it is what it is. We all know servers make a low hourly wage and that tips are how they really earn their living. Shame on those who suggest skipping it. As mentioned, this isn't directed at the OP since they now know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living