Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 12:45 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Toys and electronics are the 'big' sellers. In all my 74 years I have never once shopped on Black Friday. Now, for the last seven seasons, I've worked it! lol This year I'll be working a short shift, 4-9 PM Thanksgiving and the sale starts at 6 PM so, I guess, I'll get to see some of the 'crazy'. Up until this year I have worked my regular shift on Thursdays and Fridays so missed most of it. I have to say though that our store is reallllly well organized and we've never had much of a problem with shoppers.
My son stood in line for a game system once. Thankfully, the store hired security and made sure everyone stayed in a line. Each individual or group was given a number about an hour before the store opened. People were let into the store in small groups, and he was in the first group. Victory is mine!

There had been an unfortunate incident the year before which made the national news, and this store was not going to allow anything like it to happen there. Best Buy. He made the local news, too.

He said it was a positive experience. People talked to each other and held a place in line when someone left to use a restroom. Quite a few fell asleep--some in cars and some on the ground. Early morning, many went to Dunkin' Donuts and took orders from others in line.

I should have handed out lighters and led the group in song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 03:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
When Black Friday comes I'll be on that hill
You know I will

Old 11-21-2016, 01:57 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,483,895 times
I hate shopping. I am more of a buyer. I also do not like crowds.

Put those two factors together: no shopping unless I have to.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:40 AM

296 posts, read 413,960 times
Only 3 people state they are going shopping on Black Friday. But yet the crowds are huge.

I guess people who pay attention to a frugal forum are different than the typical BF shopper!

I would also venture to say frugal people are less impulsive.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:05 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
No, I have never shopped on Black Friday. This year there is even less reason to do so. Family and relatives have decided just for each of us to buy one gift for a "White Elephant" exchange; that game where you either pick from the pile or from the person that picked before you. More fun that way anyways. My friends and I don't exchange gifts, so no worries there. Will be nice to concentrate on other things instead...getting cards mailed out, donating to a local charity, perhaps going to a holiday event or two, and saving some dollars.
We've been doing the goofy $5 gift thing for years. I buy something for my daughter and a few small gifts for friends. Glad to be out of that mess.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:21 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
waste of time and my patience.

Thanksgiving is the last holiday before the crazy shopping season that I hate so much. I'm extending my Thanksgiving celebration into the weekend.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
NO!!! I celebrate Buy Nothing Day! Yes, I know it's kind of silly, since all that happens is I make sure I have enough whatever to get me through the weekend without going to a store. Still, I like it.

And I swore off christmas shopping for anything about 1990, IIRC. I don't participate in christmas gift exchanges, unless the recipient is OK with the cookies I make - or is under 6 years old. I'm not a grinch, I enjoy christmas. I just find the materialistic orgy really ugly and unpleasant.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:32 PM

155 posts, read 179,467 times
I have shopped Black Friday once. It's not worth it. Wait with the crowds to hopefully snag a deal, that is cheaper during the year. Plus the closer you wait to Christmas, the better the deals are on things.

My wife and I make things for family Christmas gifts. We think that it is more personal. Plus we hold to something to read, something to wear, something they need, and something they want for our son. We also get him stuff for his stocking. Christmas is more about the season then giving presents.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:30 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Black Friday isn't what it used to be. It used to be the stores would open 6am that Friday and everyone would go and try to get the deals. Then stores moved the time up to 4am. then 2am, Midnight, 10pm Thanksgiving, 8pm Thanksgiving, 6pm Thanksgiving.......

Now I just saw a commercial for an appliance store (I won't say who) that starts their Black Friday deals at 3pm on Thanksgiving!!

I think it's absolutely terrible that these stores are even open on Thanksgiving and it basically is taking away from the once anticipated "Black Friday". Not to mention Thanksgiving! I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:40 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,714,114 times
Yea I enjoyed the challenge of having to wake up early and hit the mall. something special about forcing me out of bed and out the door before 6. I didn't mind midnight too much because I am night owl & there is something semi special about spending the night in mall. But this 6pm deal is silly. Its not even black Friday anymore I hope they change this

I love going to black Friday. I love the hustle & bustle. I love people watching. I don't have anything fancy to buy, I save my normal shopping (jeans, moisturizer, makeup) and try to see if those are on sale. If not, its good time to grab a cup of coffee & watch the people. It has become a tradition to go to mall on black Friday, now its not about shopping more about "activity"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living