Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 05:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times

Advertisements

I used to do them but hand and sometimes I made mistake just by adding things. At least with Turbo tax, it's like one big add/subtract machine. You can overwrite them if you like. I found many mistakes with Turbotax but will always get the software.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 02-04-2017 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 05:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I used to do them but hand and sometimes I made mistake just by adding things. At least with Turbo tax, it's like one big add/subtract machine. You can overwrite em if you like. I found many mistakes with Turbotax but will always get the software.
Actually the way I did it by hand is I would create a spread sheet and program the formulas the IRS has in their various tables into the spread sheet. The spread sheet would automatically calculate everything for me. Since the 1040 does not change much every year, I would just change the parts that did change and re-use it the next year.

I used Excel, but you can use Google docs which is free. You just have to have the patience to put it all together. Doing it with a spreadsheet eliminates math errors. But it does not eliminate errors in programming the IRS formulae. I goofed on the AMT formula and the IRS told me about it.

The funny thing is the IRS audits every single form these days and if you make a mistake they will always find it and tell you what it is. It makes me wonder why they even have us fill out a 1040 since they recalculate everything anyway.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:04 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I do it myself by hand and then use free fillable forms online with the IRS to file.
This is what I do too. I have never paid anyone to do my taxes even when I owned apartment buildings in the 80s and had to deal with depreciation, etc.. I like the fillable forms because I have the penmanship of a 4 year old.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Actually the way I did it by hand is I would create a spread sheet and program the formulas the IRS has in their various tables into the spread sheet. The spread sheet would automatically calculate everything for me. Since the 1040 does not change much every year, I would just change the parts that did change and re-use it the next year.

I used Excel, but you can use Google docs which is free. You just have to have the patience to put it all together. Doing it with a spreadsheet eliminates math errors. But it does not eliminate errors in programming the IRS formulae. I goofed on the AMT formula and the IRS told me about it.

The funny thing is the IRS audits every single form these days and if you make a mistake they will always find it and tell you what it is. It makes me wonder why they even have us fill out a 1040 since they recalculate everything anyway.
It's great for you but I had 2 young kids under 10 and a full time job and other things to do. The price I paid for Turbotax is a small price. I must admit if I find an error, I return the software for refund. I figure that's the price they pay for me to troubleshooting their software.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:28 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
If you don't make too much money, say less than 60k a year, you can go to a VITA site and they will do your taxes for free.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:39 PM

927 posts, read 759,117 times
Its a racket like computer fixing, it creates jobs. That being said, my landlady was a secretary for a tax attorney and she taught me all about taxes. How to set up this expense, deduction. If you do it by hand its easier to grasp

Old 02-04-2017, 07:54 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
I have used free online filing but I also like to do ours by hand. I did ours by hand last year when we had 1099 income and expenses, plus forms for having ACA subsidies part of the year. This year ours are a little more simple and I already have printed out the forms to fill in.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:01 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
People did taxes by hand?

Old 02-05-2017, 08:12 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
We do our tax filing on paper every year. We have done this for over 30 years, it is habit.

We itemize, and we use schedules Cs, Es, and Fs. I have not had a tax obligation [any money from me going to the IRS] since 1983.

Last year we formed two LLCs [for our investments]. This is the first time for our personal taxes to include corporations, so we hired an accountant to walk us through the first couple years. This accountant accepted our hand written books. She said that we can continue doing this on paper, or we can shift to Quick-Books.

With paper we can go to her office, once a year. Or with Quick-Books we can do it all via email, and effectively we would never actually meet with our accountant ever again.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:40 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It's great for you but I had 2 young kids under 10 and a full time job and other things to do. The price I paid for Turbotax is a small price. I must admit if I find an error, I return the software for refund. I figure that's the price they pay for me to troubleshooting their software.

I work in retail and we sell the TurboTax program. It cracks me up that, after each one is scanned, we are to ask if they'd like to purchase the "two year extended warrantee". Why would anyone want to do that with a program that's only good for one time?? Some of the looks I get from customers are pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living