Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
Any ideas for frugal lunches to bring to work or school that require minimal dishwashing? For example, my go to are mustard sandwiches. No fork or dishes required. If I could find a way to pack leftover rice without having to wash a lunchbox, that'd b great
, I can't in a million years think imagine eating a mustard sandwich and I love mustard. It is one thing to be frugal and another to carry it too far. How about a plain butter sandwich? A piece of fruit and a piece of cheese is pretty frugal and healthy eating. Some people like cold pizza: take a piece of left over pizza from the night before.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
why do i need protein at lunch time?
You need protein at every meal.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:48 AM

255 posts, read 200,346 times
I like to buy those Progresso soups with higher protein content. Lentils, Split Pea...soups like that. Sometimes I'll add garbanzo beans or black beans to it for more fiber and protein to feel fuller, longer. The entire meal ends up costing around $2 or so.

I also always have cans of tuna (in water) available. An entire can has around 20g of protein in it, and costs around $.50 if you get the store brand. Eat that with some Triscuits or crackers for a lunch that costs less than $1.75

Old 02-08-2017, 01:48 PM

130,545 posts, read 12,143,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
I like to buy those Progresso soups with higher protein content. Lentils, Split Pea...soups like that. Sometimes I'll add garbanzo beans or black beans to it for more fiber and protein to feel fuller, longer. The entire meal ends up costing around $2 or so.

I also always have cans of tuna (in water) available. An entire can has around 20g of protein in it, and costs around $.50 if you get the store brand. Eat that with some Triscuits or crackers for a lunch that costs less than $1.75
I buy a bag of lentils for about a buck & that makes several pots of lentil soup, likewise with split peas, although that costs a bit more than the lentils as I add ham. But super simple to make & much cheaper & better than the canned stuff.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:22 AM

130 posts, read 105,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it reaches a point beyond frugalness and it is just plain silly when you won't wash a dish , use paper plates or spoons and eat un-nutrious meals.
thanks for the heads up, and you are right. We are what we eat, and we should all invest in our most important asset : our health.

I spend a buttload on buying leafy greens and dietary supplements. i just want something convenient to give me energy while i'm on the run, to last me till I get home to eat my leafy greens, vegan protein, and other stuff. I cut corners only when it is beneficial for me to.

I forgot to mention but i'm vegan, yall!

Old 02-09-2017, 02:25 AM

106,779 posts, read 108,997,702 times

Old 02-09-2017, 03:51 AM

15,947 posts, read 12,302,396 times
Soylant green is good.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
thanks for the heads up, and you are right. We are what we eat, and we should all invest in our most important asset : our health.

I spend a buttload on buying leafy greens and dietary supplements. i just want something convenient to give me energy while i'm on the run, to last me till I get home to eat my leafy greens, vegan protein, and other stuff. I cut corners only when it is beneficial for me to.

I forgot to mention but i'm vegan, yall!
a mustard sandwich is one of the worst things you can eat if the goal is to give you energy while i'm on the run, to last me till I get home .

we are on the run daily and to make matters worse i am diabetic and have to eat right . peanut butter on something is my go to food with an apple and low carb energy bars .

Old 02-09-2017, 04:05 AM

130 posts, read 105,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a mustard sandwich is one of the worst things you can eat if the goal is to give you energy while i'm on the run, to last me till I get home .

we are on the run daily and to make matters worse i am diabetic and have to eat right . peanut butter on something is my go to food with an apple and low carb energy bars .
why's a mustard sandwich one of the worst things to eat for energy?

also, why low carb energy bars? our bodies' most efficient source of fuel is carb

Old 02-09-2017, 04:09 AM

because the bread the mustard is on is like lighter fluid to our bodies . it spikes our insulin in even healthy people and burns very quickly leaving us even hungrier . it has no protein either or much fat which holds us over because it is slow to burn .

i get enough carbs and in fact more than i should have . i am at pre-diabetic levels down from being diabetic and require no meds , just diet and intense exercise . i run 5 miles every other day and weight lift the days i don't run . have been off all meds for years now with this routine .

each meal needs a balance of carbs ,proteins and fats . mustard goes with food . it is not food .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living