Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 11:52 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,752 times

Advertisements

well i find stuff all the time that i like on craigslist but i have no way or truck to go get it :/ buying from a store seems easier bc they deliver. so yeah not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 07:23 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
well i find stuff all the time that i like on craigslist but i have no way or truck to go get it :/ buying from a store seems easier bc they deliver. so yeah not an option.

So what would you do with it when you move?

Old 06-02-2018, 12:36 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
So what would you do with it when you move?
I’m not getting it. But if I did I would take it with me?? Like people do when they move lol

Old 06-05-2018, 01:46 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
And you can hire someone with a pickup truck from craigslist to move the piece. Even with that, the cost would be less than a new item with free delivery from the store.

But, you have made the right decision to not get this particular chair.

Where you are living now, you would have no protection against fire or theft. You'd still owe the money on the chair if it were not paid off. If for some reason you couldn't pay the rent, the management could haul it out and put it on the curb before you could move it. If your dog gets bored and chews on it during the day while you're gone, you're paying on something that now may make you sick to look at it.

I realize it is a huge temptation to have something you really love that's new and all yours when you haven't had much of anything in your life.

But either find something else gently used that will fill the "want" you have and not cost so much or just know that if you keep moving forward, you can have some things you really love in the future.

This wasn't the right thing at the right time.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:57 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It’s never worth it. My motto is to pay cash or wait until I can pay it with cash.

Very true! It's called the "American Plan" everything down and nothing later.

Used or thrift store finds are way better than debt over furniture.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:55 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Yes.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:38 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
I bought my mattress, frame and headboard using a store card. It was 12 months interest free, so I just did it that way. I paid it off in the year instead of taking a chunk out of my immediate savings.

But with your current situation, I would not do it.

Edit: saw where you said you didn't do it. Good choice!

Old 06-21-2018, 02:09 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
I have bought furniture with the free financing, but only when I actually had the cash and didn't want to use it right away. I always paid it in full before the interest kicked in. If you are not disciplined enough to do that then wait and pay cash!

Old 05-20-2022, 10:33 AM

198 posts, read 71,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post

Now I know a lot of people get their furniture used. I'm actually all for that and have done that before. but even if I found one on craigslist or somewhere I have no way to go get it, no car or truck. And a lot of ads want to meet or want you to come pick it up. This place offers free delivery so thats also why I'm leaning more toward it.

Anybody else paying off furniture? is it worth it?

Some thrift stores have delivery services (usually for a fee) and they have wonderful items.

When I was in my 20s, I bought a white leather sofa and paid it off. (I had to have that sofa)

I would not do that now because I'm not that type of person, anymore.

It was worth it, I kept the sofa for many years, then I gave it to a friend, when I moved out of State.

Photo from: myaashis.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living