Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 02:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

The current Raley's ad has trimmed tri-tip for $2.97 a pound. That's a superb price for trimmed tri-tip but it's about average for untrimmed which is about 40-50% fat and silver skin. So, I went to the store last night and asked for the $2.97 trimmed tri-tip and was told that is a pricing error and they aren't responsible for pricing errors. They offered to sell me trimmed tri-tip for $6.99 a pound.

I went home grumbling about it and my husband told me to just forget it that they weren't trying to deceive buyers it was a simple mistake and that I shouldn't try to force them to honor that price. I started feeling a little guilty about it but I still felt that they should honor that price so I looked up California law on the issue and it appears that they have to sell at the lowest advertised price https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/busines...t-12024-2.html

I went to the Raley's facebook page this morning and messaged them. At first they said they wouldn't honor the price because they had posted price corrections in the stores, I told them there were no price corrections posted in that store but even if they had I can't see anything in the law that gives them a pass by posting a correction. I sent them a link to the law and about 30 minutes later they messaged me back and told me to go to the store and ask for the manager, and that they would honor the price. I bought 6, the same number I had planned to buy when I went to the store yesterday.

When I got home my husband kind of frowned and I can tell he doesn't think I did the right thing but I'm not at all remorseful, I'm just happy that I got such a good bargain. What would you have done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 02:18 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,970,897 times
"What would you have done?"
we have the actual hard-copy
advertisement when we shop.
at check-out, if there is an error,
we show the cashier and the price
is changed to the ad price. over in
about 30 seconds. no management.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The current Raley's ad has trimmed tri-tip for $2.97 a pound. That's a superb price for trimmed tri-tip but it's about average for untrimmed which is about 40-50% fat and silver skin. So, I went to the store last night and asked for the $2.97 trimmed tri-tip and was told that is a pricing error and they aren't responsible for pricing errors. They offered to sell me trimmed tri-tip for $6.99 a pound.

I went home grumbling about it and my husband told me to just forget it that they weren't trying to deceive buyers it was a simple mistake and that I shouldn't try to force them to honor that price. I started feeling a little guilty about it but I still felt that they should honor that price so I looked up California law on the issue and it appears that they have to sell at the lowest advertised price https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/busines...t-12024-2.html

I went to the Raley's facebook page this morning and messaged them. At first they said they wouldn't honor the price because they had posted price corrections in the stores, I told them there were no price corrections posted in that store but even if they had I can't see anything in the law that gives them a pass by posting a correction. I sent them a link to the law and about 30 minutes later they messaged me back and told me to go to the store and ask for the manager, and that they would honor the price. I bought 6, the same number I had planned to buy when I went to the store yesterday.

When I got home my husband kind of frowned and I can tell he doesn't think I did the right thing but I'm not at all remorseful, I'm just happy that I got such a good bargain. What would you have done?
you have achieved peak boomer. i would have accepted it was a mistake and moved on (unless i felt it was an intentional deception). im not looking to take advantage of a mistake.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"What would you have done?"
we have the actual hard-copy
advertisement when we shop.
at check-out, if there is an error,
we show the cashier and the price
is changed to the ad price. over in
about 30 seconds. no management.
I had the ad with me. They only had one on display marked $6.99 a pound, I told the guy at the meat counter I wanted between 6 and 7 and he said they would not honor the price even on the one on display. If there had been more available I would have done exactly what you suggested.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you have achieved peak boomer. i would have accepted it was a mistake and moved on (unless i felt it was an intentional deception). im not looking to take advantage of a mistake.
So you feel the same as my husband? I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I'm just kind of curious about how many 'frugal shoppers' use pricing errors to their advantage.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:39 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
I would've done the same as you, I think. Call me a boomer.

First of all, they absolutely ARE responsible for what's advertised. And second, as you said, that particular store did NOT have price corrections posted in the store. That's ALL on them.

Now...if they DID have price corrections posted in the store, I would've let it go.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So you feel the same as my husband? I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I'm just kind of curious about how many 'frugal shoppers' use pricing errors to their advantage.
i think people are allowed to make mistakes without someone trying to take advantage of it. i dont really love that law. i would feel differently if i felt the store intentionally did it to lure people in or if its a mistake that happens frequently and they need to do better to stop it.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:01 PM

61,751 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Everywhere I shop (grocery stores) they will honor price mistakes.
Sometimes when I see something unusually cheap and I buy it - I take a picture of the item and the price and show at the cash register. It was never rejected.

But in general, there's no law that requires companies to honor an advertised price if that price is wrong. Typographical errors, miscommunication and other glitches can result in items being offered at what appear to be deep discounts – discounts that would be ruinous for the company if it were forced to honor them. However grocery prices are typically fairly low, and mistakes happen to a small amount of merchandise. So, "ruin" is very unlikely...

Last edited by elnina; 08-16-2019 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 03:15 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think people are allowed to make mistakes without someone trying to take advantage of it. i dont really love that law. i would feel differently if i felt the store intentionally did it to lure people in or if its a mistake that happens frequently and they need to do better to stop it.

I look at it this way, OP went to THAT particular store, thinking she was going to get this excellent price. She might've chosen to go to a different store, if not for the amazing price she saw advertised at the store she chose.

Potentially, OP could've/might've wasted a trip, if she wasn't going to buy other groceries at this store.

For instance, there are 2 grocery stores I usually shop at, but there are certainly other grocery stores in my general area. IF I see a great bargain at one of those stores I don't USUALLY shop at, and I go to that store expecting the bargain, only to find out it was a misprint...well, I think they SHOULD honor the misprint. Especially since I think most states have anti bait and switch laws. (But I might be wrong on that.)

Old 08-16-2019, 03:17 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Start the car!

https://youtu.be/NlWCLw75XnE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living