Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 11:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Furnishing SO's office was not anticipated. Some of our necessities went way up. Horseradish doubled so did cat litter. Never mind that falls under TP for furries and hoarders have it all.
Cat litter? Any explanation for that? Oh, hoarders. Sheesh. How about booze ? Any hoarding there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 12:05 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Cat litter? Any explanation for that? Oh, hoarders. Sheesh. How about booze ? Any hoarding there?
I have been hoarding since I lost access to my father's win cellar. Liquor stores are offering 10% on wine purchases over six bottles. Corona is not free.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:55 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
No more eating out but it’s a wash since groceries are costing more.
Really? I've spent more on groceries the past couple months but on the whole it's much cheaper than eating out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2
Furnishing SO's office was not anticipated. Some of our necessities went way up. Horseradish doubled so did cat litter. Never mind that falls under TP for furries and hoarders have it all.
I'm certainly now regretting not setting up a home office. It was at the bottom of my priority list pre-COVID. The dining table will have to suffice for now.

Saving a lot on gas and car maintenance. I'm still going into work but not everyday. Some have been working from home for over six weeks now. If they previously commuted, they must be saving a boatload of money.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:23 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Since the student loans are on forebearance without interest penalties right now, I just started paying higher interest credit card debt more frequently .

Old 05-07-2020, 01:40 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I'm retired so there's not much difference in before and now except that I had to spend a lot at first. I always stay pretty well stocked up on things but just before lockdown I had to buy some food at regular price rather than waiting for it to go on sale.

I had to order lots of stuff on Amazon too and that got pricey. Not being able to go to the stores, I had to order online and so everything was more expensive. But now that spring is here I can finally plant my little garden with leftover seeds from last year. Hope it grows! I'm not going to be buying flowering plants this year, am just planting boring zinnias and the usual perennials will come up. However, I splurged and ordered some plants online--that was fun! Expensive when you add in shipping but so easy and so exciting when they got here.

I seldom ate out anyway so there's no savings there. The one huge saving was that we had planned and saved for a trip to the UK. That got cancelled so I hope I get my $1000 back. I won't be traveling anywhere so I guess I saved $1000. Assuming I get that refund.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:01 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,154 times
I don't buy a lot of what I call non-essential foods--avocados, high priced fresh fruits such as strawberries for $5 (I make do with apples and oranges which last longer), hummus and other dips, pita chips, sparkling water in fancy bottles, imported cheeses, exotic salad dressings, olives, seafood, high priced oat coconut coffee creamer...you get the idea. I stick with what I call essential foods: potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, coffee, bread, cereal, peanut butter...I also don't buy a lot of canned soups which are frightfully expensive. I make my own soup and the batch lasts for weeks.

I'm not planting many flowers this year. I only bought 2 small geraniums and a few packs of begonias (total less than $10). I don't do vegetables anymore. No room in my yard for a vegetable garden and frankly, no interest in it.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 471 times
Chipping away at expenses by doing the following:

- Limiting take out to once a week.
- Cooking most meals at home with weekly veggie delivery service and ordering meat from local farm as needed.
- Stopped monthly water purifying system service and bought a Zero Water filter.
- Bought herb plants for the window.
- Pickle different veggies and less food waste.
- Limit purchases to essential items.
- Made our own sanitizer gel and spritzers.
- Bought re-washable nano masks.

No travel, need for work clothes, eating out or commuting costs were other high expenses which already stopped during stay at home order.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:30 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Tiki, if you want to successfully grow plants indoors, you need a full spectrum light and a fan to mimic outdoor wind.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:28 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I stopped eating out anywhere, ever, as a protest for chinese buffets not being around, which is my favorite way to eat out. I also reduced travel to the larger city south of me (Sioux Falls) and made it a point to live as minimalist a life as possible. The top 1% seem to think they can get by using federal reserve fairy dust and don't even need the bottom anymore at all. Well we shall see....

Old 05-31-2020, 01:02 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times
I'm retired, fwiw. While I'm spending less because I'm saving on gas and eating out, the only real "step" I've taken is to buy electric clippers to cut my own hair, which worked out well. That investment will save me hundreds of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living