Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 09:53 PM

6,782 posts, read 5,505,149 times

Advertisements

Although we spent about$75 for fix-it stuff at Lowe's (next door to pharmacy, so no "non-essential runs" were made for this)

The fix-it stuff was to complete those NECESSARY fix-it projects one always says "I'll get around to when I have time". Well now IS the time to get at it.

And we spent$30 on a rose bush, and 3 6pks of pansies, and 2 perennials. To go in an empty planter. Not crucial, but yet necessary too.

Other than those two days, I've placed a firm moratorium on purchasing ANYTHING that isn't food or household"necessities"..(TP, Kleenex, laundry,bath, kitchen soap, etc.)

Food, I'm kinda buying a few cans or boxes more of stuff, as there's going to be food shortages.
Farmers are already letting food crops die in the fields. They have no Legal employees who have Heath care to pick crops.

Basically, if we can't eat it, or wipe something with it, it's not bought!

Not even much to be purchased in the way of clothes. Underwear maybe.

Gas budget is way down. About$10/w, maybe $15 ($40-60/m). Used to be $175-250/m!! Gas prices haven't dropped THAT much here (about $0.20/g), so that helps. My OH works 5 days a week... essential worker.
I try to keep essential errands to one day a week. All in a 20mile or less round trip close to home. ( The credit union is farthest, not sure if it's 10miles away or not)

We both take "stay at home" lockdown seriously.

We will hold onto these values as long as possible, even if the lockdown ends.

So...what "more frugal" steps are you taking?

Enquiring minds want to know....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 10:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,910,532 times
I've been buying food anticipating shortages to come. So I've spent more than my usual budget, but we'll eventually eat it, and not have to purchase as much while we're using it up.

I've actually saved some money on the food I buy. I have complicated food allergies and can't buy any food with soy or corn, or food that's vitamin enriched, or any meat or chicken packaged on styrofoam or with the moisture absorbing packet. Usually my safe foods cost more at the grocery store, and I'm used to spending the extra because it's cheaper than an ER visit and having to replace epi pens. In the last few weeks, the grocery stores haven't had my safe flour, rice, or chicken. I heard in a FB group that Restaurant Depot was open to the public temporarily to help with the food supply issues, so I went there and got safe flour for $13 for a 50 lb bag. I usually pay $1/lb for organic, because that's the only kind safe for me at the grocery store. I found chicken I could eat at the restaurant store too, and it was $1.60/lb instead of the $2.79/lb I usually pay. I bought 160 lbs of chicken, portioned it into meal sized bags, and filled up my garage freezer.

We're also saving because we're not going to have to travel for our daughter's graduation, but that was an expense I wouldn't have minded spending.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:36 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,172,721 times
Yes, we're missing a graduation trip also. 2 grandsons won't have their ceremony. I've bought extra food, but that will even out in the long run. Other than that, no place to go to spend money. DH staying out of stores, he can't buy junk food like he used to.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:31 AM

6,782 posts, read 5,505,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've been buying food anticipating shortages to come. So I've spent more than my usual budget, but we'll eventually eat it, and not have to purchase as much while we're using it up.

I've actually saved some money on the food I buy. I have complicated food allergies and can't buy any food with soy or corn, or food that's vitamin enriched, or any meat or chicken packaged on styrofoam or with the moisture absorbing packet. Usually my safe foods cost more at the grocery store, and I'm used to spending the extra because it's cheaper than an ER visit and having to replace epi pens. In the last few weeks, the grocery stores haven't had my safe flour, rice, or chicken. I heard in a FB group that Restaurant Depot was open to the public temporarily to help with the food supply issues, so I went there and got safe flour for $13 for a 50 lb bag. I usually pay $1/lb for organic, because that's the only kind safe for me at the grocery store. I found chicken I could eat at the restaurant store too, and it was $1.60/lb instead of the $2.79/lb I usually pay. I bought 160 lbs of chicken, portioned it into meal sized bags, and filled up my garage freezer.

We're also saving because we're not going to have to travel for our daughter's graduation, but that was an expense I wouldn't have minded spending.
I went looking for the restaurant Depot site, but if they had openings for individuals, I couldn't find it.
They wanted things like proof of operations certificates, or ein #, etc to prove you are a legit Business.

If they are still offering to individuals, can you tell me how to access that? I do NOT do Facebook, I hate it.
If you can only get through to individual options through FB, then I guess I'm screwed.

Also, I've been stocking up on things like: canned chicken and beef, tuna and canned diced ham, spam, treat or "luncheon meat" ( spam like).

With the Smithfield pork plant closed (providing 5% of the nation's pork processing), and two meat processors just across the border in PA (I'm in NY), it's no wonder why Walmart and grocery stores have had trouble keeping any fresh beef, or pork on the shelves in my area.

Then there's the 4Patriots freeze dried food I started accumulating about 9 years ago. Tasty, but a little on the EXPENSIVE side fir what you really get. BUT as I understand it, it's food processed here in the USA, NOT China.
It's also got a shelf life of 25 years, so it doesn't have to be used within up to 2 years, like canned food.
I started accumulating it after 3 major flooding incidents in 6 years, so no power for 8 days at least as the electric substation would flood, so wait for water to go down and the substation dry out to be reactivated.
I learned quickly then that even dry ice delivery, once in am from fire department, and a second in the evening from a "good deed" girl scout troop WON'T keep a freezer full of meat in good frozen shape. Had a refer Freezer and small upright 3' freezer full. Could not keep even just one of those frozen with dry ice with the two deliveries of dry ice.
So got a gasoline generator. Ugh. Have to change oil with 5w-40 EVERY EIGHT hours of operation! Battery kept charged for starting on a trickle down charger. The handle on the wheeled carriage broke. Keeping one running outside at a safe distance let's neighbor s KNOW you have power, and will ask any number of questions to get things of theirs run on an extension cord, or charged off your generator, etc. That gets tiring QUICKLY.
Nit to mention keeping adequate gas on hand, especially if gas station s are out of power and can't pump gas! The tank held 3 gallons, would run for 6 hours at 50% per tank of gas. Even with two 5 gallon cans and two 1 gallon (fir lawn mower) that was 12 gallons potentially on hand, would only give one about 24 hours of continuous operation. Too much work.

So I've stuck with accumulating canned and freeze dried foods to stock up. That and dried cheap foods like beans and rice.

I said in mid February that there would be a good shortage coming up, long before farmers started to complain.
Here because of lockdown, many cheese processors are NOT considered "essential"(?? Really? It's FOOD!) SO dairy farmers are dumping milk into manure piles, making a gallon of milk now $4.00+/gal.

We can't have"farm animals" here in our city on our city lot, or else I'd try to get some female chicks for egg layers. I think growing your own may cost more than the double costing eggs fresh now. They say it can be a crap shoot buying chicks...no real way as chicks to tell roosters from hens.
For milk, I'd have a female goat too, if I could, for milking and cheese making. ( I DO know how to make cheeses, from easy eat now to aged!) I learned to make cheese years ago towards self sufficient steps.

Produce? Well my raised bed garden, even with quick fencing, still gets attacked by squrrels, rabbits, Chipmunks, and birds for the berries. Plus we have the house in front of morning sun, and big trees here in the back so only really the 10:30-2pm hours are good garden sunshine if that.
What bothered me was they'd take ONE BITE out of eachtomato or squash, and ruin the whole crop. Didn't they learn the first time they didn't like the "offerings"? Grrr.

Well, I've rambled on extensively. Sorry about that!

Best to all...

Old 04-15-2020, 02:00 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,530,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I went looking for the restaurant Depot site, but if they had openings for individuals, I couldn't find it.
They wanted things like proof of operations certificates, or ein #, etc to prove you are a legit Business.

If they are still offering to individuals, can you tell me how to access that? I do NOT do Facebook, I hate it.
If you can only get through to individual options through FB, then I guess I'm screwed.

Also, I've been stocking up on things like: canned chicken and beef, tuna and canned diced ham, spam, treat or "luncheon meat" ( spam like).

With the Smithfield pork plant closed (providing 5% of the nation's pork processing), and two meat processors just across the border in PA (I'm in NY), it's no wonder why Walmart and grocery stores have had trouble keeping any fresh beef, or pork on the shelves in my area.

Then there's the 4Patriots freeze dried food I started accumulating about 9 years ago. Tasty, but a little on the EXPENSIVE side fir what you really get. BUT as I understand it, it's food processed here in the USA, NOT China.
It's also got a shelf life of 25 years, so it doesn't have to be used within up to 2 years, like canned food.
I started accumulating it after 3 major flooding incidents in 6 years, so no power for 8 days at least as the electric substation would flood, so wait for water to go down and the substation dry out to be reactivated.
I learned quickly then that even dry ice delivery, once in am from fire department, and a second in the evening from a "good deed" girl scout troop WON'T keep a freezer full of meat in good frozen shape. Had a refer Freezer and small upright 3' freezer full. Could not keep even just one of those frozen with dry ice with the two deliveries of dry ice.
So got a gasoline generator. Ugh. Have to change oil with 5w-40 EVERY EIGHT hours of operation! Battery kept charged for starting on a trickle down charger. The handle on the wheeled carriage broke. Keeping one running outside at a safe distance let's neighbor s KNOW you have power, and will ask any number of questions to get things of theirs run on an extension cord, or charged off your generator, etc. That gets tiring QUICKLY.
Nit to mention keeping adequate gas on hand, especially if gas station s are out of power and can't pump gas! The tank held 3 gallons, would run for 6 hours at 50% per tank of gas. Even with two 5 gallon cans and two 1 gallon (fir lawn mower) that was 12 gallons potentially on hand, would only give one about 24 hours of continuous operation. Too much work.

So I've stuck with accumulating canned and freeze dried foods to stock up. That and dried cheap foods like beans and rice.

I said in mid February that there would be a good shortage coming up, long before farmers started to complain.
Here because of lockdown, many cheese processors are NOT considered "essential"(?? Really? It's FOOD!) SO dairy farmers are dumping milk into manure piles, making a gallon of milk now $4.00+/gal.

We can't have"farm animals" here in our city on our city lot, or else I'd try to get some female chicks for egg layers. I think growing your own may cost more than the double costing eggs fresh now. They say it can be a crap shoot buying chicks...no real way as chicks to tell roosters from hens.
For milk, I'd have a female goat too, if I could, for milking and cheese making. ( I DO know how to make cheeses, from easy eat now to aged!) I learned to make cheese years ago towards self sufficient steps.

Produce? Well my raised bed garden, even with quick fencing, still gets attacked by squrrels, rabbits, Chipmunks, and birds for the berries. Plus we have the house in front of morning sun, and big trees here in the back so only really the 10:30-2pm hours are good garden sunshine if that.
What bothered me was they'd take ONE BITE out of eachtomato or squash, and ruin the whole crop. Didn't they learn the first time they didn't like the "offerings"? Grrr.

Well, I've rambled on extensively. Sorry about that!

Best to all...
The common error with generators is buying too big. A 2000 watt Harbor Freight (Honda clone) generator will sip gas, while running a freezer or refrigerator or room air conditioner and a few lights. Also, a generator doesn't have to be run continuously. Four hours a day can keep many refrigerators and freezers cold if you toss a blanket over them when you disconnect the generator.

I sympathize with you on critters in the garden. When I had a garden it took a 7' tall electric fence to keep most of the deer out. (FWIW, chicks can be sexed visually, but it is a highly specialized skill that few people have.)

Old 04-15-2020, 03:44 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,683,864 times
It's a weird situation for us.

For a variety of reasons we could very likely be in the final 3 week stretch before having the required liquidity to pay off our mortgage. Of course, until further notice, it's our emergency fund.. but it's exciting... and a relief... to think that we have it...

So I have extra, extra motivation to be extra, extra frugal.

The kids like to eat the same foods each day and they are all foods that you can buy and freeze, either as single ingredients or already prepared. I just finished making freezer "Chipotle" burritos (because they love Chipotle, the restaurant, not because they have any chipotle in them). Enough for 13 days for both kids. I cooked bag of rice and mixed in cilantro, oil and lime. I cooked up a bag of black beans and seasoned them with garlic, chili pepper and cumin. Rolled it up with cheese. Done!

I'm also going to prepare and freeze three batches of energy bites for the athlete son. They are made with peanut butter, chia, oatmeal, oat bran, flaxseed, sunflower seed, almonds, coconut, chocolate chips and honey.

Finally I give them their greens through smoothies... so we usually have frozen separate bags of mixed greens, avocados, bananas, fruit as well as frozen juices. I add protein powder.

I'm testing out a system where I don't have to do anything for two weeks. I have an appointment in a few weeks for suspected skin cancer (on the face) I've been researching the surgery (Moh's.. it's pretty nasty if you look online.. and mine would be one of the uglier surgeries). I think I'll be uncomfortable for 10 days so this is a dry run for when/if I need to undergo that procedure. I will NOT want to cook.

Otherwise we aren't spending any money. We are staying home.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:27 PM

308 posts, read 213,969 times
Well,because of the deferring of most of my debt payments for at least 2 months(appx $2400/month),and the stimulus check...and the fact that I am still working and paid til the end of the month...It looks like I'm going to have a cash cushion to ease my monthly cash flow deficit. It cost me in interest of course,but at least I can actually buy and pay the necessities without having to get even more debt besides the interest.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:46 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,840,912 times
Since I am stuck at home I am not spending money on this or that while out and about. You know, coffee and snacks or whatever.

It's suddenly a lot easier to get junk out of the house.

I tend to go to concerts, club gigs, etc several nights a week so all of the sudden that is a lot of money not being spent. Even bus fare and ancillary costs at gigs I get into for free. And refunds on cancelled events is bringing in a sudden cash infusion.

Otherwise cash flow is zero but I had a few good years and saved almost everything so I might be able to ride this out for as long as it takes. So I am fine. Financially. Mentally is another thing, unfortunately.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:21 AM

3,066 posts, read 2,054,231 times
I, like 10,000 other people, started a veggie garden this year. Just about when the bad news hit my brain said "go get some tomato plants" but big box store had very little, guess I was late to the idea although that was 6 weeks ago, maybe 8 weeks I've lost sense of weeks and months.
I got out my seed stash I haven't used in 3-5 years (been busy) then ordered more seeds. Almost all my old seeds were viable (kept in fridge since buying).

Seed sellers are under siege, 10x number of orders coming at their busiest time of year. Many popular seeds sold out.
I had to get bagged dirt delivered from big box (non-frugal) but OMG it was heavy so no guilt. Bad enough carting it to the backyard. My garden is heavy clay so am doing combo of amending clay garden (small and on a hill), growing in large grow bags next to patio and have one straw bale planted with various veggies. One bale all I could fit in the car--wish I'd gotten more, plants are doing well.

I do NOT plan to can veggies, some will be frozen, some dried (beans) and some store well (winter squash/pumpkins).
Making juice and freezing from overabundance of greens (kale, collards). Lots of pesto will be frozen.

I get exercise working in the garden, especially staying upright on the hill, and gardening is mentally calming for me.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:23 AM

2,109 posts, read 1,938,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Cheese and other types of food processing ARE CONSIDERED essential business

https://esd.ny.gov/guidance-executive-order-2026

Quote:
3. Essential manufacturing including

food processing, manufacturing agents including all foods and beverages
Farmers are dumping milk because of precipitous drop in demand and not because cheese processors are being shut down!

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...ing-soars.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...sures-n1182601

Back to the OP question, we have always been frugal. Sheltering in place just means we have to buy more things in bulk and produce/process more types of food ourselves.

I have accelerated the start of our vegetable garden by germinating seeds on wet paper and using grow LED lights.

I have resumed making foods which I had not made for years like sprouting mung beans and making sourdough starter. I have ordered more legumes like lentils to make different kinds of sprouts.

I made a new batch of jams and jellies from our frozen cherries, strawberries and canned 'Mamade' (orange peels) to give some to our daughter.

I ordered few more types of dehydrated/freeze-dried vegetables and fruits (tomatoes powder/flakes, peas, green and red pepper) to add to our pantry (we already had free dried onions, peaches, asparagus and mushroom).

I ordered additional 25lbs bag of hard and soft wheat berries so that I can give some flour to my daughter after learning that she has been making her own sourdough starter and bread too. We have been milling our own flour from berries for years.

Not wanting to plug in our freezer to freeze meats, we stocked up on canned tunas & TVP (textured vegetable protein) and soy curls.

I pulled our old pasta maker from the cupboard and will start making fresh pasta again. After waiting over a month to receive my order of the last 4 bags of semolina flour, I decided to just order 25lbs bag of durum wheat berries which will keep for a long time.

We also have a decent supplies of dried beans, brown rice, powdered eggs, milk and cheese.

We have only made two trips to local grocery stores in the last 6 weeks (the first was in store a week before Idaho stay-home order was issued), the second one was a curbside order 10 days ago. We are trying to stretch our fresh produce and dairy shopping trip to once a month. It's nice to have fresh eggs, milk, cheese, vegetables but if needed we can live off our supplies for at least 6 months.

For those who are interested in getting bulk staples, check out these places

honeyville.com
americanspice.com
azurestandard.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living