Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 10:59 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,930,554 times

Advertisements

The only places I tip for takeout are:

1) The place where my son is a sous chef. My name (his is the same) is on the order, so I always tip big to reflect well on him. (Even more generously when we sit and eat there.)

2) The pizza place we order take out from gets rounded up to the nearest $5 increment. A ticket for $12.50 gets rounded up to $15. Even though it's not a big tip, it's a little something for the effort.

3) Any place that we order curbside during this pandemic as that is not a typical service they offer. I tip them for the added service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 01:17 PM

88,682 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Are you trying to write beaucoup? French for many?

The OP of this thread is about tipping, not about keeping restaurants in business. They are loosely correlated of course.
Must be related to the "Walla!" people.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:44 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,563,142 times
Quote:

The OP of this thread is about tipping, not about keeping restaurants in business. They are loosely correlated of course.
Somewhat tongue in cheek, but yes. Slang term.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:17 PM

32,965 posts, read 36,449,858 times
Quote:

It's a Vietnam War era bastardization of the that word.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,598,599 times
Well! A place I go, my item is $3.16 including the 10% take away mandated tip. So I asked for just the bills back, round that up to $1 tip. Sufficient for a $3 take away, I think. She just stared at me. What should I be tipping on that, seriously?

-0- for her in the future, lol. I like coins myself if she doesn't. They are getting real tips from people who dine in now in the evening anyway.

The buck is more courtesy, I suppose, that was more needed before they could allow people to dine in. 10% mandated for togo is pretty cool for them added up for the shift. At least that sustained them decently during the togo only time. Hopefully others added to that as well.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:40 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,789,738 times
When we order pizza, we go and pick it up, we ask for senior discount, we got 10% discount, 0 for tips. Hey, my husband is British, try to explain tipping to him, he will look at you like a unicorn.

Last time a worker was here painting my house, when he finished, I had to quietly slipped the guy $100 for tipping, this is just before COVID.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:46 AM

88,682 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Well! A place I go, my item is $3.16 including the 10% take away mandated tip. So I asked for just the bills back, round that up to $1 tip. Sufficient for a $3 take away, I think. She just stared at me. What should I be tipping on that, seriously?

-0- for her in the future, lol. I like coins myself if she doesn't. They are getting real tips from people who dine in now in the evening anyway.

The buck is more courtesy, I suppose, that was more needed before they could allow people to dine in. 10% mandated for togo is pretty cool for them added up for the shift. At least that sustained them decently during the togo only time. Hopefully others added to that as well.
Or maybe the arithmetic confused her.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:05 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,070,231 times
Quote:

So you left a tip if about $1? That is quite reasonable on a $3.00 purchase.

That is what I do when purchasing coffee. I leave a dollar tip, $2 if purchasing for both my wife and myself.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:32 PM

15,152 posts, read 27,834,458 times
Quote:

In a case like that, I ask for the exact amount of bills back (less the tip) - she might have/probably thought you were asking her to remove the .16

Old 06-28-2020, 03:53 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,598,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
In a case like that, I ask for the exact amount of bills back (less the tip) - she might have/probably thought you were asking her to remove the .16
I said I just need $6 back. She poured the change in my hand and I repeated, I just need the $6 back and she just looked at me as she accepted the change back. So next time, more coins for me! Or give a $1 maybe. But not to her, lol! Maybe change is demeaning even it's adding up to a buck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living