Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 07:38 PM

521 posts, read 292,738 times

Advertisements

for me:
dog toys and supplies
ice cream
fruits (i.e. berries)
frozen pizza!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 08:32 PM

187 posts, read 113,595 times
It's all about health for us. Healthy, high quality food for good home cooking. Healthier cleaning and personal hygiene products, and I try to use as little as possible to get the job done. Great healthcare and higher quality food for our dogs. We've had very good luck with pet insurance and have gotten back thousands more than we paid in premiums.

Good TV package for my husband. Health problems have made TV his best friend.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:40 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Frugal doesn't mean that you spend little or no money. It means that you look for value in what you spend your money on. So it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on high end stuff as long as it provides you with a high level of value (which only you can determine).

This is in contrast to being cheap -- which is just that. You focus on spending as little as possible no matter what.

So as many of us discuss how frugal we are in these threads, we do spend money on relatively expensive things at times. I will shell out money for specific designer clothing (there's a few designers I like). I vacation often. I also like expensive steaks... which I don't eat often, but when I do, you can bet there's a few grand dropped at the table.
That was my thought also. Last year, my aunt gave me a hard time when I took a paper towel and tore it in two. She then compared me to my grandfather, her father. lol Cheap or frugal, you decide.

As my wife loves to point out, we are frugal up to the point of "want" and those "wants" are only achieved only after our budget and savings are considered. She's a quilter and wants a new sewing machine. She has a green light to make the purchase at her discretion since the funds are ear-marked. She has the patience of a saint and will take her own sweet time.

My vice is watches. Reading, researching, looking for the best deal, etc. In Jan, I assembled a watch including the movement (an ETA 6497) from a tray of parts. Regulated it, cased it, and pressure tested it. It brings me as much joy as the those purchased. Anyone with money can buy a watch but only a WIS (watch idiot savant) will carry the hobby to often absurd levels.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:43 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
Once a year I spend a good amount of money on a nice seat with friends to a Cleveland Browns game

Old 07-20-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Once a year I spend a good amount of money on a nice seat with friends to a Cleveland Browns game
Nice...nothing like a good game with good friends!

Old 07-20-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
What? You're not going to tell us yours?
Good morning! Did I miss your response?

Old 07-20-2020, 12:15 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I could really go for a good game outing...

Old 07-20-2020, 12:22 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Starbuck's.

Debt free.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:29 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
I'm not really frugal. Just careful with my money.

My two exceptions: My grandsons and travel. The boys can have anything they want (within reason) and I took 1 or 2 International trips per year until Covid-19 came along.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:02 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Nice...nothing like a good game with good friends!
Absolutely!!! One of my favorite things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I could really go for a good game outing...
Oh me too...ME TOO!!! I tell ya, I really hope the NFL plays this year. Even if I have to be wrapped in bubble wrap I'd be at a game for sure. Miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living