Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2020, 07:11 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,560 times

Advertisements

Shoes and bras. They must fit perfectly and be high-quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 09:08 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Yes! Shoes, good bras, a good haircut, pants that fit me well, and good coffee!

Old 09-08-2020, 09:11 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Oh...and craft beer!

Old 09-09-2020, 09:16 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
....good food, good experiences, or anything else IF I really, really want it.

Luckily for me I don't want too many things. And I'm fairly practical, realizing I want to retire some day. So, I can't spend money on the best of everything, or I'd never save and be able to retire.
You sound like me maybe 10 years ago. Frugal but willing to pay for certain items while trying to maintain some amount of balance in life with a eye on savings and investments.

The good news? I'll retire on Friday and even though our advisor has told my wife that she can retire also, she'll keep working maybe another two years. That's two years of pressure taken off of our savings and investment. Add the two extra years that I worked and the financial picture is even better.

While I didn't necessarily follow Dave Ramey's teaching, we will get to live like no other....finally. lol Keep it up and you'll find your pot of gold at the end of the work trail too. Best wishes!

Old 09-09-2020, 06:59 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
First congrats on retiring. I'll have to work until 65.....until Medicare and a pension that I'll get kicks in.

I don't know about a pot of gold. But, I don't think I'll have to eat dog food.

As with most people, I suppose, I have no interest in spending money on some things. Yet, others I would prefer better than run-of-the mill. For example when I travel, there's just a comfort level below which I'm not willing to experience....hotels for instance -- a certain number stars below which I'm not willing to consider. (I don't care how close it would be to a train station -- or the Eiffel Tower for that matter. Even when I was a student centuries ago, the thought of staying in a hostel was a non-starter.)

I know I'd eat out every night if I could afford it. And travel destinations would be far and wide across the globe. But I can't afford all of that. I'll just have to see how much of that -- if any -- I will be able to enjoy.

As for your retirement, I personally don't know anyone who doesn't LOVE it. My retired peeps are happy as a pig in slop and not even thinking about working!

Old 09-13-2020, 11:52 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,653,525 times
I like puttering with things both cause I get frustrated with some badly engineered thing, or something too expensive to repair the factory way, and get bit obsessed and become a mini expert. This requires experience with alternative brands or parts to re-engineer what I have and experiment. So yea sometimes I will spend more for bits and pieces and parts rather than just going out and buying a new one for less. Thing is I would save time just buying a new one, but wouldnt learn anything, just be another mindless consumer. I guess I am an extreme backyard engineer at heart.

For example I still have maybe half bushel basket of thrift store kitchen knives as I was teaching myself to sharpen them. Same with my collection of old flashlights. Or lawn mower engines. Right now, skillets. To actually learn ins and out and what can be modified, I need one in front of me. course I mostly buy parts. Thank goodness for Ebay and Amazon. Before internet it was much harder with paper catalogs, especially since shipping always set high if you only bought one small cheap piece, was trying to encourage larger orders.

Far as most consumables, I just shop for cheapest prices on what I normally buy unless I have had bad experience with seller or product in past. If I run across a cheaper alternative that I have never tried before, might try it once, just to see.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:34 PM

565 posts, read 471,668 times
I enjoy bourbon whiskey so I at least go middle shelf, sometimes top. I get new shoes as well. I got that from my mom who was the youngest of six sisters. Mom hated wearing shoes that were broken in to someone else's foot.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:51 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
I enjoy bourbon whiskey so I at least go middle shelf, sometimes top. I get new shoes as well. I got that from my mom who was the youngest of six sisters. Mom hated wearing shoes that were broken in to someone else's foot.
I was a middle kid and I quickly grew taller than my brother. That said, a picture recently surfaced on FB from a trip my class took in the sixth grade and my sister and I both initially mistook me for my brother. No one ever made that mistake but on reflection, I’m guessing that was my last year of wearing his hand-me-downs.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:15 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times
Kitty. When my last cat got sick I ended up spending $4000 on him for diagnosis and treatment. Poor little guy only lived another year anyway.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:16 AM

382 posts, read 365,641 times
1. Hotels. Nothing fancy but a good mid-range hotel. They are cleaner, more comfortable, and typically have a great breakfast.
2. Paint. I always go for Sherwin Williams mid-range paint and primer. And I get high quality brushes and rollers. Let's jus say I have learned my lesson by getting cheap stuff in the past.
3. Flooring. I'm a big fan of tile. It's expensive to install but it lasts a long time and don't have harmful chemicals.
4. Toilet paper. I find I use more of the cheap stuff so I get the good stuff and use less. And it is more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living