Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 10:04 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,807,833 times

Advertisements

Cheap means spending the least amount of money as possible.

Frugal means getting the best value for your money.

Sometimes they overlap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 10:59 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
Frugal is storing your ketchup bottle upside down to get the last bit out.
Cheap is taking "extra" ketchups from the fast food place to refill the bottle.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:59 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Frugal is buying good-quality coffee on sale.

Cheap is my friend going through Dunkin-Donuts drive-through when they have their free-iced-coffee-for-seniors Mondays and requesting coffee with "very little ice" to take home and heat up the next morning.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Frugal is buying good-quality coffee on sale.

Cheap is my friend going through Dunkin-Donuts drive-through when they have their free-iced-coffee-for-seniors Mondays and requesting coffee with "very little ice" to take home and heat up the next morning.
yikes.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:49 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Agreed. I used to have one cheap friend. He didn’t agree to the concept of paying for trash pickup and would simply put his trash in others’ bins. I found that somewhat objectionable, but his worst trait was his “system†for prepartying- he’d drink as much as possible quickly before going to a bar where he’d have to pay and then DRIVE HIMSELF to the bar. He said it worked because he got to the bar before the alcohol worked its way into his bloodstream. I said I doubted it and was happy that I didn’t live in the same city with him. I am sure I recommended he get a cab or DD (this was before Uber).
We had people who routinely disposed of their trash by putting in the company dumpsters. I'm not talking about occasionally disposing of an item that is too large or heavy for the home service. These people filled the company dumpsters so full that it was difficult to get rid of legitimate work trash. One guy was filling the dumpsters with yard waste, which was not supposed to be in there at all. I assume that his "hanging gardens of Babylon" home project ended when he left during the great buyout of 2010 and no longer had access to the company dumpsters.

Cheap, just cheap.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
yikes.
LOL. When things were normal and there was coffee hour after church, she would bring in empty plastic orange juice bottles and take home any leftover coffee, decaf or non and reheat it during the week.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:15 AM

My friend's MIL used to wait until the Christmas Tree place closed on Christmas Eve, then she would go and reach through the fence and break off a bunch of branches from the trees that were left, take them home, and tie them together with a red ribbon. Then when the grandchildren came to visit the next day, that would be her Christmas tree.

She also used to give everyone undated birthday and Christmas cards with no name inside, just signed "Grandma" or "Mother" and ask for them back so she could use them again. She took all bows and ribbons from everyone's presents after opening them and took them home. My friend said when she died, they found garbage bags full of bows in her closet.

Being frugal and pennywise is smart, but I think there is a karma thing going on with some of these people whose lives are so consumed with saving a dime that it means more to them than anything else. It's as if they attract poverty to themselves because of their stinginess and lack of generosity.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:22 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Great definition. Some thoughts I've had based on people I know/work with.

Cheap is spending dollars to save dimes. Guy I worked with -- car needed to be replaced. But he just kept fixing it, a thousand here, a thousand there. When it finally broke down the last time and he had to buy a "new" used car, he added up his bills and found in the last six months he'd spent more on repairs than the replacement car had cost.

Frugal is buying a car I can fix myself when it needs repair. Then shopping for best price on quality parts and doing regular maintenance so I am not left stranded. Alas this is easier said than done in modern world.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:05 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
My husband had a friend whose mom would buy the big pack of napkins, then open them up and cut them in half making more napkins. One time a friend of mine decided she wanted to do brunch with our moms. I said ok and she brought along her MIL and another friend and her mom. Her mom brings out a gallon sized Ziploc bag and proceeds to fill it with cold cooked shrimp and raw veggies. I looked at my friend and she said we are taking this home so I can make a stir fry for my BF. My mom was appalled.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:44 PM

A friend of a friend was extra cheap and I got to hear the stories secondhand.

1- the two couples went out to eat. Mr. Cheap got tea and Mrs. Cheap got hot water. When she found she was charged the same price, she demanded, and got, a tea bag to take home.

2- at another restaurant, a buffet, Mrs. Cheap came back to the table with a crab leg on her plate. No one else had seen any crab legs, they were not an offered item on the buffet. However, they were part of the decoration, along with the kale leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living