Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 08:31 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezup12 View Post
Yes those who are dirt poor who cannot afford a smart phone cannot even go to the recycle bin to obtain as many free coupons as possible to use. Ask me how i know Back in the day, I could cut out many free trial sizes and have shampoo, conditioner, hot sauce, a candy bar here and there, all kinds of items in multiples which would last us a long time. I'd keep going in and out to different cashiers.
Knew or saw people that would raid stacks of unsold Sunday papers put out for rubbish by news stands, stores, etc... to raid coupons. Sadly they untied/cut bundles and didn't do them back which caused a heck of a mess as wind blew paper all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 10:22 PM

89 posts, read 61,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Knew or saw people that would raid stacks of unsold Sunday papers put out for rubbish by news stands, stores, etc... to raid coupons. Sadly they untied/cut bundles and didn't do them back which caused a heck of a mess as wind blew paper all over.
Yes eeons ago I used to run into that when I was a coupon queen. Some folks could be very rude so you end up trying to clean it up before you start in yourself or it looks like you did it lol.
I remember those days. You need to stack the heavy bags you didn't go thru... back on top of those other bags you already went thru and grabbed the inserts out of. Often the bags rip as you go thru them so nd it's almost impossible to get them back inside. It needs to be weighed down.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:31 AM

724 posts, read 403,398 times
I'm sure the original poster already knows that in-store shopping had already taken a nose-dive before the pandemic. During the pandemic, very few (relatively) are shopping in-store. The vast majority of people are online.

So it probably doesn't make sense for companies to keep putting out physical coupons in papers at the rate the previously did.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:53 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
My hubby is a news junkie, me not so much. I tried to get him to go to online paper several times but he wouldn't budge until the last price increase. Now we get online only. I used coupons a lot but the last year or so there was hardly anything in the fliers that I wanted. So I don't miss them much. I mostly use my apps. I like that they disappear when they expire so I don't have to get out my magnifying glass to see the dates on them. Actually it costs the stores less to not use paper coupons as they have to use manpower to process them all.

Although we don't have one in the immediate area we have a membership to BJs Warehouse and drive 45 min. I liked that they not only had their own coupons but they also took mfg coupons as well (Sam's doesn't, nor do I think Costco does). Around the end of last year they decided to put their own coupons strictly on the customer's card. There was major fussing! When I was in there some guy was really giving the person at the desk what for because he didn't have a smartphone, although you can put them on your card from their online site. Well they have now gone back to regular coupons in their sale fliers they send out. So I guess they had enough complaints. I actually prefer the app because I don't have to look through the booklet for the coupon. The only thing is that if you want a couple of an item you can't use a coupon for each with the app.

Bed, Bath & Beyond is the only place I prefer coupons in person. If you are at a store not only can you use multiple coupons, but you can also use expired coupons. Online you can only use 1 coupon and it can't be expired. Unfortunately we don't have one close to us.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:13 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Does anyone actually buy a Sunday paper any more?

I loved the Sunday paper; all full of good stuff to read, an excellent recipe and food section, masses of classified ads, and the color Sunday funnies. We would spread it on the floor and lay on our bellies and read snippets to each other.

Now the Sunday paper has shrunk down to a few thin pages and gone way up in price. So, sorry. I hate to see newspapers go under, but I am not going to pay that much and get nothing in return.

The local paper sends out an advertising section in the mail on Wednesdays that has the grocery ads in it and a few local coupons. The grocery ads are all online, but I look at the newspaper ones, anyway. Occasionally, the coupons are for something I can use and I will clip the coupon.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:55 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,833 times
Late to post and I only read some of the replies, but we still get them in our local weekly paper. We basically only used to ones that pertain to what we would buy anyway. We also get coupons from our grocery store automatically in the mail. As well as getting some when we check out.

Every little bit helps, lol.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:00 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I still get local coupons that are only good for the local store. Those come with the grocery ad inserts.

However, national brands, the only reason they do coupons is to temp people to try their product. Grocery stores are selling out. There is no reason to tempt anyone to come in and buy. The stuff is selling at a record rate, without coupons.

Food manufacturers are not running charities. It isn't their job to provide you with low cost food when your income has been reduced.

I'm hearing from all sorts of different places in the USA that there are help wanted signs up everywhere. if your income has been reduced, I suggest a new job, or maybe an additional part time job.
Correct!!!!

Old 10-20-2020, 09:24 PM

89 posts, read 61,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Correct!!!!
No. Incorrect.

Personally for us, we were both working two jobs far more than full time. We had huge unexpected medical bills, rent and our young child to care for.

So only someone full of ignorance thinks someone who uses alot of coupons must not have a job

Old 10-21-2020, 11:33 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
While I have seen a slight decrease, I still get at least one pack of coupons with the paper. Some weeks, there are three or more packs.
Yes and there were three inserts last week. They normally don't have inserts on weekends around a holiday. There are websites where you can see what coupons will be in the inserts since some people buy the Sunday paper for the coupons.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:10 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
I get occasional customized coupons from two large chains. We belong to their discount programs and hubby monitors it carefully. In addition, we know when the stockers work on aisles in Kroger and they discount a lot of what we buy. Chopped salads, saute veggie kits, mushrooms, produce, certain breads, frozen food occasionally, oddball others. One Kroger has 7 different spots in the store for a variety of clearance merchandise. Note: Not the super Krogers but the more personally managed mid sized ones.

We only buy what we like and little processed food. Will occasionally try something in the fresh or deli section. Have gotten great deals on soups and even leftover cooked chicken. WE have even found half price ground turnkey and got mom a whole package of boneless pork chops on discount.

It pays to know your own stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living