Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 07:14 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right! Why buy if you can read online, free
United States Newspapers & News Media - ABYZ News Links
/
Some of us still enjoy having a physical paper in hand, especially with a nice cup of coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 08:05 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Some of us still enjoy having a physical paper in hand, especially with a nice cup of coffee.
Just not the newspaper full of fake news

Old 10-15-2020, 01:08 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezup12 View Post
........go to the recycle bin to obtain as many free coupons as possible to use. Ask me how i know Back in the day, I could cut out many free trial sizes and have shampoo, conditioner, hot sauce, a candy bar here and there, all kinds of items in multiples which would last us a long time. I'd keep going in and out to different cashiers.

And that is exactly why coupons are dying out. Coupons were never intended to provide lots of free stuff to people who pulled coupons out of the garbage. The free samples were intended to give people a little try of a product to see if they liked it, not to fill the cupboards of couponers with free stuff.

Old 10-15-2020, 01:43 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I am pretty shocked (annoyed and ticked actually) that companies have decided (for the most part) to stop inserting coupons in our Sunday papers! Do they not realize that prices have gone up like crazy for many things, stores aren't having the sales that they used to, many people have a seriously reduced or non-existent income now? Do they not care that their products won't sell as much?

Personally, when having to watch money first things to go are "better/name brands" of products, etc. - seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot/bottom line.
Get a store card and use it. I"m probably saving $800 a year just from that card.

And buy generic products when you can.

Coupons are so 1990ish. They are a hassle.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:02 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And that is exactly why coupons are dying out. Coupons were never intended to provide lots of free stuff to people who pulled coupons out of the garbage. The free samples were intended to give people a little try of a product to see if they liked it, not to fill the cupboards of couponers with free stuff.
Totally agree, couponers shot themselves in the foot. And what Harry Chickpea said too!
Honestly I'm happy to see them going digital, so much easier to keep people from committing coupon fraud because the registers now catch about 90% of that. Cashiers will no longer be stuck arguing with customers intent on getting items that don't qualify for the coupons.

But OP, check with your local newspaper to see if the coupon inserts have been moved to a different day (ours are now in the Thursday (?!) edition). Alternatively check to see if the paper might consider adding coupons back in as I think the decision to carry the inserts is up to the paper, not the manufacturers or retailers.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Does anyone actually buy a Sunday paper any more?
15% of us in rural America without internet might buy a Sunday paper once / month or so, just to get the latest news.

(Library is closed due to Covid, no news, no internet access)

Old 10-16-2020, 03:01 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
It would seem to me that if someone needed to watch their finances (my family does) that they wouldn't even be using coupons for brand name items is just not worth it. The stores here don't offer double coupons. Even when they have a sale on brand name items, it's still too expensive even with the coupons.
I'm not super frugal, at the moment, but neither trolling the thread. Saving a few bucks is always a good thing. That said, the quoted is my observation, too, frankly.

I sometimes look for hot deals via online coupons. Stores are regional and we have two main supermarket chains here, plus the Fred Meyer. We have an upscale market locally...code for, "charging 1.5 - 2x what they should because its a gentrified area" ...for higher-end quality produce, meats, cheeses, etc.

I believe the top brand coupons at groceries these days are right on the edge of being a scam: the foods and goods are overpriced to begin with, compared to store brands. A "coupon" brings prices to par with off-label. To me, that's Three Card Monte and I get a bit steamed when stores think they're smarter than me.

The upscale/swanky market I mention? Yeah, they send out fliers in the mail with "sale" and "two-fers" offers. Come to find out their prices on those items are 2x-3x what everyone else charges. There are RARE tolerable deals when they have something unusual, like Red Rock shrimp (an Atlantic-side, Florida delicacy) still at prices you'd find at the big chains...but if it's truly interesting and unusual, perhaps even unique, I might just go for it anyway. And shrimp/delicacies are NOT particularly "frugal," I suppose!

Old 10-16-2020, 03:03 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
I hardly use coupons anymore after finding a dented can store.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:13 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I'm not super frugal, at the moment, but neither trolling the thread. Saving a few bucks is always a good thing. That said, the quoted is my observation, too, frankly.

I sometimes look for hot deals via online coupons. Stores are regional and we have two main supermarket chains here, plus the Fred Meyer. We have an upscale market locally...code for, "charging 1.5 - 2x what they should because its a gentrified area" ...for higher-end quality produce, meats, cheeses, etc.

I believe the top brand coupons at groceries these days are right on the edge of being a scam: the foods and goods are overpriced to begin with, compared to store brands. A "coupon" brings prices to par with off-label. To me, that's Three Card Monte and I get a bit steamed when stores think they're smarter than me.

The upscale/swanky market I mention? Yeah, they send out fliers in the mail with "sale" and "two-fers" offers. Come to find out their prices on those items are 2x-3x what everyone else charges. There are RARE tolerable deals when they have something unusual, like Red Rock shrimp (an Atlantic-side, Florida delicacy) still at prices you'd find at the big chains...but if it's truly interesting and unusual, perhaps even unique, I might just go for it anyway. And shrimp/delicacies are NOT particularly "frugal," I suppose!
I just toss any fliers from Publix. Publix, here is a clue - if you don't put a real price in your flier, and just tout "Two for" or "great price" I'm going to go OUT OF MY WAY to avoid you. I like the Publix concept of an employee owned business, but I don't like being jerked around by a marketing department that has taken lessons from drug dealers and prostitutes.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:23 PM

89 posts, read 61,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Well I am very fortunate since it allowed us to pay our rent and eat. I am very happy with it and would do nothing different.

Coupons mostly fizzled out due to the internet. Not because of what you are trying to blame me for but nice try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living