Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 04:20 PM

746 posts, read 495,753 times

Advertisements

I'm still not working since being laid off during COVID from my Niche job. Unemployment ran out a while ago.

24 hrs a week at $21 per hr. Safeway NEEDS people all over the U.S

Their Pension is funded until 2052 thanks to Biden and his American Rescue Act passed in 2021. So if you are olde like me, that equates to 18 years of payments assuming it runs out in 2052.

Benefits/Perks:

✓ $84 per month for combined medical, dental, & vision, $5-$10 drugs, & Union dues.
Indemnity plan covers 70% yet is considered a cash payment so cash payments = discounts.
Killer deal it comes to $45 each. ACA could've provided that too but this provides a ton of
dental exams at 4k a year dental without being on welfare

✓ $229 Pension benefit when I quit ...in 12 years... at age 67. IF I can go until 70, it will be $300
✓ Stay fit & healthy via forced exercise
✓ Contribute 4k a yr to my IRA & the Savers Credit will lower taxes
✓Cavities are popping up due to juicing veges
✓ Dropping the Christian Healthcare Sharing program saving us $230 per mo.

DH has health issues so only works his business very p/t w/good pay. I work with him sometimes.
Living on a shoestring this last year hasn't been fun. We've not went without but any possible emergency..
it's un-nerving at my age.

I must shape enough to do this until age 67, at least.And hopefully will start cycling again a few days a week.
No, I don't want any other department because I will not stay fit. The other departments suck, no exercise.

Schedule
Tue 11:30-3:30pm
Thu 10am-6:30
Fri 11:30-3:30
Sat 10am-6:30
-----------------
24 hrs a week

We've had a small business for 30+ years, however, though it pays well, not enough business. His body is aging and its; a bit too physical

Last edited by Pip-Squeak; 12-20-2022 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 06:34 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Smart, although that one day with long hours might be too much later on. Getting to 65 was a goalpost for me as an independent businessman. At that point I could speak unspeakable phrases to insurance companies and healthcare providers if I had to.

I do not agree with the US having an NHS style of healthcare, but I do think Bernie has had some good ideas that got discarded.

Publix is another grocery that has recognized the importance of staff and caring for staff.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Smart, although that one day with long hours might be too much later on. Getting to 65 was a goalpost for me as an independent businessman. At that point I could speak unspeakable phrases to insurance companies and healthcare providers if I had to.

I do not agree with the US having an NHS style of healthcare, but I do think Bernie has had some good ideas that got discarded.

Publix is another grocery that has recognized the importance of staff and caring for staff.
I believe Publix was on Fortune's 100 best companies to work for list. Yes there are better places to work such as Costco but nothing near us

Thank you for pointing that out,.. It could be too long of a day to be on your feet. Back to the drawing board.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:25 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Smart, although that one day with long hours might be too much later on.
Which day is the long one?

Old 12-20-2022, 08:26 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
I believe Publix was on Fortune's 100 best companies to work for list. Yes there are better places to work such as Costco but nothing near us

Thank you for pointing that out,.. It could be too long of a day to be on your feet. Back to the drawing board.
Wow you gave that up quick! At 54 you should not have problems being on your feet. Do you have medical issues??

Old 12-21-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow you gave that up quick! At 54 you should not have problems being on your feet. Do you have medical issues??
Going back to the drawing board only meant re-arranging the schedule, not the job.

Yes I have lower back issues which is why I could never be a checker, standing in one place, for hours.

I also have osteoporosis in my lower back. With good shoes, it may not be an issue at all.

At home, most of my time is spent laying down on the blow up mattress, not sitting upright to preserve my lower back. but Walking around might be fine, we'll see....

For exercise, I generally cycle a few hrs 2-3x a week but have gotten out of it the last few weeks gaining some weight.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:16 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I don't think that Safeway is a bad company to work for. But before you sign up, 24 hours a week is part time and part time employees generally don't get benefits, so verify and get it in writing that you would get benefits.

It's unlikely to be three long days a week. More than likely it is doing four hours a day at rush hour. Which might be better for you and your back.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
The problem with working at Safeway and Albertsons on a part-time basis is that your hours are NOT guaranteed at all. I have had friends work there that get as little as eight hours a week which at the time, barely covered their union dues. And if what my friend told me is correct, he was paying the same union dues (UFCW) that the full-time employees were making.

If you are only working 20 hours a week at a supermarket and that is your primary source of income, why would taxes be all that much of a concern?

Something does not sound right.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:00 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
I must shape enough to do this until age 67, at least.And hopefully will start cycling again a few days a week.
No, I don't want any other department because I will not stay fit. The other departments suck, no exercise.
OP, did I miss something? Have you applied and been hired?

You say you don't want "any other department" -- other than what?

Old 12-22-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The problem with working at Safeway and Albertsons on a part-time basis is that your hours are NOT guaranteed at all. I have had friends work there that get as little as eight hours a week which at the time, barely covered their union dues. And if what my friend told me is correct, he was paying the same union dues (UFCW) that the full-time employees were making.

If you are only working 20 hours a week at a supermarket and that is your primary source of income, why would taxes be all that much of a concern?

Something does not sound right.
I was guaranteed 24 hrs to ensure our health insurance remains. This is in an area no one wants to work so I think that makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living