Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,799,875 times

Advertisements

I like going to Salvation Army and Goodwill. You never know what you'll find. I find a lot of neat old vinyl records. I add them to my collection.

I got some super cool threads too. I like vintage clothing.

I was at Goodwill and I found this beauty for only 70$

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 08:54 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Oh yea, I found old depression glass plates once at a Goodwin for $1.00 a piece they are worth a LOT more.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:58 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,293,113 times
I like looking in those places too,also flea markets,the fun is in the search.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,019,269 times
I don't like Good Will, Salvation Army, Garage Sales or whatever. I guess to each his own.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:36 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,737,328 times
The town I am in has one that is one of the best. Mostly clothing. On certain days you can get a shopping bag and fill it with as much as it will hold for $2.

I figured out how to get in 22 T-shirts, 3 jeans, 4 underwear, 3 bed sheets and a small floor mat, plus a light jacket one time.

The best was one of these places my sister knows. Huge warehouse, we just walked in everything you could think of, she said get whatever you want. When we walked out, she just signed for it. Somehow she volunteers and it is something of church / disaster type thing. She has a card that allows her so much per month.

Bldg 19 in Boston is some of the best surplus stuff around. You go to get them surplus building supply places too. Without them I would have been sunk doing my house rehab. A good one in Wheeling WV. One down in Paden City for replacement windows.

Nothing like good cheap or free junk.

The old 45 records are what are valuable.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I don't like Good Will, Salvation Army, Garage Sales or whatever. I guess to each his own.
Well yer missin' out!

They have so much neat stuff. I like the old clothes 'cause I'm a performer so i can find a lot of stage threads. And I love collecting records. Most of the records I find are still playable and in good shape and sound wonderful on my deluxe 1964 hi fi stereo console.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
The town I am in has one that is one of the best. Mostly clothing. On certain days you can get a shopping bag and fill it with as much as it will hold for $2.

I figured out how to get in 22 T-shirts, 3 jeans, 4 underwear, 3 bed sheets and a small floor mat, plus a light jacket one time.

The best was one of these places my sister knows. Huge warehouse, we just walked in everything you could think of, she said get whatever you want. When we walked out, she just signed for it. Somehow she volunteers and it is something of church / disaster type thing. She has a card that allows her so much per month.

Bldg 19 in Boston is some of the best surplus stuff around. You go to get them surplus building supply places too. Without them I would have been sunk doing my house rehab. A good one in Wheeling WV. One down in Paden City for replacement windows.

Nothing like good cheap or free junk.

The old 45 records are what are valuable.
I have a lot of 78s that still are in good shape.

My favorite thrift store here in Richmond is "For The Love Of Jesus". They have everything.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:56 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,737,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I have a lot of 78s that still are in good shape.

My favorite thrift store here in Richmond is "For The Love Of Jesus". They have everything.
The one apparently to go to is the Roger's Sale in Rogers Ohio, up around Canton Ohio. People in Florida were telling me they have been to it. They lived in the summer in places like TN, PA, OH, etc. They come from all over. Acres and acres of stuff.

My sister is suppose to take me this year when the weather gets better. You probably can find it on a web search.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:53 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,874 times
I adore thrift stores. Esp going on a Sunday morning. My husband laughs at me.. getting up out of bed all excited "OOH I am going to GOODWILL!"
But, I have put us on a crash budget, and going to the mall (or even Target for that matter) doesn't fit in as often as it used to.
I have furnished our entire apartment from Thrift stores/flea markets/garage sales.. and you would never know.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:56 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,293,113 times
I agree never know what you can find and reinvent something old into something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living