Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,745,980 times

Advertisements

Just curious. I don't know anyone personally, in real life, that shops this way for pretty much everything, besides me.

Of course there are exceptions and I cannot claim that I don't buy anything NEW. Underwear, socks, bras, obviously those are new...

But really, when I look around my apartment at our furnishings and "stuff", and for 95% of what I wear each day, none of it was purchased new. The only times I "give in" and buy new are when I need something very specific and I have already put forth effort in trying to find it second hand and for whatever reason I need it SOON.

Exceptions: our television was new, on sale a couple years ago. Mattresses were new, and things purchased for Christmas for the kids were a mix of second hand and new (more new than not though), because sometimes you just don't need to take the risk of something not working a week after Christmas. And sometimes it is just nice to have a "brand new" thing, of course. So for example we bought my older son a digital drawing tablet new from Amazon, but also bought him a second hand guitar amp off Craigslist. We have maybe two furniture items that were bought new because they needed to fit in very limited spaces so they HAD to be a certain size (storage cabinet / armoire things).

Computer was re-furbished from a local shop that does just that, almost all the other furniture is second hand, clothes, some shoes, small kitchen appliances, lamps, and so on. Our printer/scanner/all in one was from Goodwill (they have a 2 week warranty on electronics) and is awesome, and would have cost us probably $120 new (paid $19).

Some of this was out of necessity when we didn't have the money for the new thing, but most of this is by choice. Knowing what things cost new vs. second hand, most times I just cannot stomach the "new" price when there is little to no difference in function and appearance.

With clothing, it lets me feed my inner clothes-horse without going broke and when I get tired of stuff I give it away or sell it on eBay if it is name brand.

Anyone else do this for most of their shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,701 times
Yes, we do this all the time, and have for decades. I also admit to buying bread and meat from the "reduced" section in the grocery store, if someone else has not already beat me to it!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM

22,596 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Used to.. but not any more. Tough to find what I like and/or need second hand.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Just curious. I don't know anyone personally, in real life, that shops this way for pretty much everything, besides me.

Of course there are exceptions and I cannot claim that I don't buy anything NEW. Underwear, socks, bras, obviously those are new...

But really, when I look around my apartment at our furnishings and "stuff", and for 95% of what I wear each day, none of it was purchased new. The only times I "give in" and buy new are when I need something very specific and I have already put forth effort in trying to find it second hand and for whatever reason I need it SOON.

Exceptions: our television was new, on sale a couple years ago. Mattresses were new, and things purchased for Christmas for the kids were a mix of second hand and new (more new than not though), because sometimes you just don't need to take the risk of something not working a week after Christmas. And sometimes it is just nice to have a "brand new" thing, of course. So for example we bought my older son a digital drawing tablet new from Amazon, but also bought him a second hand guitar amp off Craigslist. We have maybe two furniture items that were bought new because they needed to fit in very limited spaces so they HAD to be a certain size (storage cabinet / armoire things).

Computer was re-furbished from a local shop that does just that, almost all the other furniture is second hand, clothes, some shoes, small kitchen appliances, lamps, and so on. Our printer/scanner/all in one was from Goodwill (they have a 2 week warranty on electronics) and is awesome, and would have cost us probably $120 new (paid $19).

Some of this was out of necessity when we didn't have the money for the new thing, but most of this is by choice. Knowing what things cost new vs. second hand, most times I just cannot stomach the "new" price when there is little to no difference in function and appearance.

With clothing, it lets me feed my inner clothes-horse without going broke and when I get tired of stuff I give it away or sell it on eBay if it is name brand.

Anyone else do this for most of their shopping?
Well, with the exception of our mattress, our dining room table, and my underwear, almost everything was bought second hand. I haven't bought a new piece of clothing for probably 10 years or more, except the afore-mentioned skivvies.

My husband does buy his jeans new because you cannot find decent mens jeans in his size at thrift shops. Here in retirement land, most of the men's clothes fall into the polyester slack variety (sans-a-belt) LOL which is definitely *not* him. LOL But as far as shirts, jackets, etc. he is happy with the thrift shop variety. He does buy his boots new (Red Wing).

We have one sheet set that we bought new when my mother-in-law was coming to visit. All of the others are from the thrift shop. Our sofa, love seat, book case, and dressers were all thrift shop, used furniture or yard sale finds.

I would say, conservatively, that 80 percent of everything we own was owned before by someone else. As long as an item is serviceable I can't see paying full retail for it. Last year I got a lovely ice shaver (for snow cones) that cost only $2, I had been looking at similar models on Amazon that were priced upwards of $40. So far, the only thing I have not had much luck with is finding a pair of glasses with my prescription, but it's only a matter of time until I do.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,388 times
We have quite a few thrift store finds in our house, as well as, yard sale stuff too. Most other things I buy on clearance or on sale. I almost NEVER pay full-price. the very idea is distasteful to me.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
I don't buy clothes often -- since I keep my same clothes, they're used -- but most were pretty cheap even though new back when I bought them. I buy all cars used --- but mostly I just keep what I've had for a long time -- so while I may have bought something new, it's already 20 or 30 years old. Like my kitchen blender -- it works so I keep using it.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM

505 posts, read 941,223 times
most of the baby stuff we have is used. We got some brand new items from showers, but if WE bought it, it was used. My wife found most things on Craigslist, and the remainder at consignment sales.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 PM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
well, we used, when we just came to the country. also, we sent a ton of parcels with clothes back to our relatives and friends. so yes, we did chisel Value Villages and Goodwills. We even found a separate Goodwill store, on the side of the main one in Seattle, that was selling clothes per pound. It was amazing, how you could buy outfits from BonMarche still with price tags on them, for a dollar a pound.
but you know, it was always sort of leaving dirty mental and dirty physical aftertaste. Now, that we do well, we can't even imagine putting on something that was worn by someone else.
Otherwise, yes, craigslist is our normal shopping mall. can't beat it. cars, equipment, tires, tools.. it's all good. electronics..

Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
I kick myself now for not finding my bedroom furniture used.. but it was cheap Ikea stuff so it didn't really hurt me much. My roommate has basically furnished our entire apartment 100% with finds for free or under $20 on Craigslist. Our old roommate took our dining room table (which she also found on CL for ridiculously cheap) so my roommate has spent the past 2 months looking for something. He ended up getting a high top and two bar stools for nothing.

We've also been known to go "Allston shopping" which is when people leave perfectly good furniture on the curb at the end of their leases - normally in May at the end of school or around September 1 when most leases turn over in the Boston area.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,701 times
We do better than buying used: we get it for free! At least 75% of what we own was either given to us or picked out by us.

Small town living is wonderful! Whenever there is a need for anything, all one has to do is put out the word and within days the needed item finds its way to you.

Our neighborhood has a spot where we put unwanted (but still usable) furniture and it is gone in minutes. I have scored a 6 foot pantry (with doors), 2 tall bookcases, a wooden headboard for a twin bed that I use as a shelf in the living room, a round dining table (had to buy the chairs - used!), a swivel rocker-recliner that I absolutely love, and an ugly white picture frame (with equally ugly picture), that I painted black and replaced ugly picture with Chinese dragon in shades of gold and black. All these were throw-a-ways.

I live across the street from the Community Kitchen. They have a clothes closet there where we get the majority of our clothes. We are allowed to "shop" once a month and can get as much as we need. They have clothes for all ages and also offer bedding and personal hygiene items... all for free.

There was a thrift shop next door to us that is long gone and missed. We visited often and knew the owners. Pat knew I sewed and re-used clothes to make baby clothes, so she saved me BAGS of usable materials. She also outfitted my whole family in winter clothes (for cheap and/or free) because we had no need for such items in Phoenix, AZ.

I also use Freecycle and have gotten quite a few nice things. My best score was a 7' artificial Christmas Tree and 6' garland of greenery that hangs nicely over an archway.

I give as well as receive and have things that need to go out now. (Have to wait until it is not snowing. )

I need new dishes. I once had a matching set of 12 and now I have 5 dinner plates. I put out word last week and am currently waiting for a set that has more than 5 dinner plates. I have not seen them, but am told they have lighthouses (which I collect) so I am thrilled.

Shopping the "free" way saves me money to buy those items I would never buy used. It's a win/win deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living