Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The widening recession is causing more to qualify for food stamp assistance.

This story tells how stores are adjusting to the new way to buy food for millions......

More retailers embracing food stamps - Personal finance- msnbc.com

And the new Food stamp process to see if you qualify....

FNS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Sadly, I don't qualify even tho I live on a small pension & Social Security.
I'm sure that my husband and I would qualify (unless you have to have reproductive proof, like welfare). But we have far too much pride and integrity. Not to turn the political tide on this thread, but I'm sure lots and lots of people who use food stamps have cable television, cell phones, etc.

It's my tax dollars that are feeding them. And I'm really, not very happy about that.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:13 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The widening recession is causing more to qualify for food stamp assistance.

This story tells how stores are adjusting to the new way to buy food for millions......

More retailers embracing food stamps - Personal finance- msnbc.com

And the new Food stamp process to see if you qualify....

FNS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Sadly, I don't qualify even tho I live on a small pension & Social Security.
I don't qualify either, and I have only Social Security.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
In all honesty, I don't begrudge people on public assistance telephones, be they prepaid, regular cells, or landlines. It can be very difficult to get/retain employment if you have no method of being reached, and many of these people are transient and trying to get back on their feet. It's hard enough to get a job, and it's damned near impossible if you have no mailing address or contact phone number. I worked with many people in this position who were able to use a relative's phone number in this way, but it wasn't reliable (relatives who allow you to be homeless aren't always the best people to be taking your messages from prospective employers), and shelters can only provide so much, as well. Internet is a good tool to have, as well, for the same reasons, but at least it's one that can be accessed via public libraries, and shelters and social service agencies for people in need (in cities large enough to have such things, anyhow).

Cable TV, though? Eh. That's an expense I cut out for years and years, and I've never been on public aid.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:54 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As far as I am aware, the ONLY factors in calculating food stamp benefits are:

Rent/Mortgage, Utilities, Medical expenses, Income, and whether your income is earned/unearned. (only 80% of earned income is counted for food stamps, so if your income ix X dollars, you get more food stamps if you're working than if you're not working)

My problem was that I had a big hole in my budget in the form of a student loan payment, which represented an expense and also income which reduced my food stamps. That is, if your income is X and your rent is Y, you get the same amt of food stamps whether you have no student loan payment or a big student loan payment. Food stamps care how much rent you pay but not how big your student loan payment is.
Yes, that's what I meant by "personal expenses". Guess I shoulda worded it differently. I've never been given food stamps if I'm working. Not even when I was working only 22 hours a week @ $8.50 hr. I got more when I wasn't working than I would have working. I could STILL be getting them, according to our DES office, but it would be $16 month. I'm glad I don't need them!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,239 times
My food stamps amount went down today from 104 to 16. All because I began drawing partial VA disability along with partial Soc.Sec. disability. It was considered increased income. Have not been able to work since November 2009. Wish I could work, I'd be better off.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Dang...I once rented a room from a homeowner that included cable tv and I had a prepaid cell phone (no landline in the house)...and I was getting $25/mo in food stamps. I moved into the room because the WEEKLY rent and low deposit made it the only place I was able to afford to move into.

I was getting $25/mo in food stamps.

What was I supposed to do, chuck the prepaid cell phone and not watch the cable tv?
Yes. I am surprised you even need to ask that question. Yes. You do without luxuries before you take money from the governement to pay for food. Yes, yes yes. You don't say "please give me money b/c I can't afford food" when you CAN afford food.

It is always funny how people with screen names like "FreeMkt" of "don'ttreadonme" or "glenbeckismyhero" are always the ones who are typing "what? why can't i be on welfare?"

Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
If you qualify, the cell phones are provided free in at least 2 states that I know of. Actually, public assistance can be easier to get on in some areas than others - watch the poverty levels grow in a particular area and that seems to show a great big "Welcome" from what I have been looking at. You see, more people receiving benefits help work count for the staff, help them grow or retain jobs. I also heard that food stamp qualifications had been changed to allow more people to get food stamps - I think the income levels since everything has went up. Basically where we live, it is sort of slave labor in my opinion, the good old right to work state where you work at will, I often look at the nice low income housing and think "They have it made. They don't have to worry about the cell phone bill, health insurance, whether a check will come in next month, grocery store (food stamps and the pantry), lunch for the kids, etc.)" I'm talking about the young, healthy and lazy and those that should be spayed or neutered not the minority who really need help. Food stamps can be justified for the working poor because they truly cannot make it even if they are working hard but I stress "working" poor. I see people working at Wal-Mart for less than $8.00 an hour and they allow them less than 32 hours and they work hard for that and maybe the answer there is to make the employers of the working poor pay a living wage so that we, the taxpayers, don't have to support them and ourselves? Our state is one that wants drug testing for those receiving public assistance and I surely support that. Vision cards (food stamp) should not be used for the drug trade. I say, give them commodities. You don't like what you get. Get a job!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
is there a way for me to buy someone's "food stamps" cheap so they can have cash to spend on drugs and alcohol?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Addicts sell their public benefits all the time. I'm surprised this is news to you.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Addicts sell their public benefits all the time. I'm surprised this is news to you.
well, im a buyer where are the sellers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living