Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,338,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
90% of the shoes that my wife has purchased at me at the thrift stores are less than 10% worn and look pretty darned new to me. A little polish and a quick spray and they are ready to go.
My concerns are with fungus and bacteria; feet are breeding grounds for both and I would worry about picking up nasties from used shoes. I have never had athlete's foot and I would like to keep it that way! Has anyone ever picked anything up from used shoes? Plus I have had foot problems in the past to the point of having to wear custom-made inserts and being banned from wearing pointy heels or anything too high because of the joint on the ball of my foot and nerve damage; my concern is that a pair of used shoes is molded to the shape of the previous owner's foot and it can cause more foot problems breaking the shoes in than breaking in a new pair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:49 AM

16,404 posts, read 30,335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My concerns are with fungus and bacteria; feet are breeding grounds for both and I would worry about picking up nasties from used shoes. I have never had athlete's foot and I would like to keep it that way! Has anyone ever picked anything up from used shoes? Plus I have had foot problems in the past to the point of having to wear custom-made inserts and being banned from wearing pointy heels or anything too high because of the joint on the ball of my foot and nerve damage; my concern is that a pair of used shoes is molded to the shape of the previous owner's foot and it can cause more foot problems breaking the shoes in than breaking in a new pair.
Thousands of people rent shoes from bowling alleys WITHOUT incident and more often than not, athlete's foot comes from public showers and the like.

It is obvious that if you need CUSTOM shoes or if you have size 17.5 feet like my cousins, buying used probably is not an option. However, for us mere mortals who wear normal sizes, buying used if a frugal option. And if you pay $3 for a pair of shoes and they turn out to be less comfortable than you had hoped, you can donate them back to a charity and you are out only $3.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,126,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My concerns are with fungus and bacteria; feet are breeding grounds for both and I would worry about picking up nasties from used shoes.
People try on the "new" shoes you buy in the store as well though . I know they have the little sock-thingies, but I do see gals slip off their flip-flops and slide right into a pair of pumps at Kohls and Target and the like. I do agree it's icky too though.

The "wear" issue you mention is a bigger issue for me. As a long time runner, I'm aware of my own gait idiosyncrasies and wouldn't want to inherit someone else's problem.

That being said, if I found a pair of "used" shoes that had obviously never been "worn", I'd consider them. I know that I've bought new shoes on-line in the past that just didn't work out. Other than trying them on in my home, or perhaps wearing them around the block, they are new, but since I am too lazy to do returns (my big dark, not-frugal secret ), they usually just go to the local thrift store. I certainly hope someone gets some use out of them!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Thousands of people rent shoes from bowling alleys WITHOUT incident and more often than not, athlete's foot comes from public showers and the like.
I don't bowl and I wear rubber flip flops in public showers at the gym.

Quote:
It is obvious that if you need CUSTOM shoes or if you have size 17.5 feet like my cousins, buying used probably is not an option. However, for us mere mortals who wear normal sizes, buying used if a frugal option. And if you pay $3 for a pair of shoes and they turn out to be less comfortable than you had hoped, you can donate them back to a charity and you are out only $3.
I have nerve damage in my feet and have been told by my doctor not to wear specific types of shoes because of it. Shoes that have been broken in by someone else's feet are off limits. Sorry if you think that makes me snotty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
People try on the "new" shoes you buy in the store as well though . I know they have the little sock-thingies, but I do see gals slip off their flip-flops and slide right into a pair of pumps at Kohls and Target and the like. I do agree it's icky too though.
I always put the little sock thingies on; if they don't have them then I don't try the shoes on, I just don't buy them. I'm extraordinarily fussy about my shoes which is probably why I have so few pairs.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:32 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,756,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"Used books can sometimes smell musty. Used clothes sometimes don’t seem perfectly clean. The same goes with used dishes and countless other items. The amazing thing, though, is that things can actually be cleaned really easily.

Five challenges of buying used – and how to overcome them - CSMonitor.com
Truth is, everything you own is used and you have no problem using the stuff everyday. Most of what you own has tons of use left in it but in reality, dollar wise, isn't worth 10% of what you paid for it. I think most will get my point. Unless it is a great sale, on clearance and marked down 75% or used I don't buy it. You also can't be trapped into buying stuff you don't need just because it is cheap. Unless it is for resale like on ebay or something, don't buy it. I would say everything I own was bought used or on a great sale. I even drive cars for free and have for years but that is another story and not everybody can do it.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:04 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,891,070 times
I draw the line at lingerie, underwear, and socks, and I also have a problem with upholstered furniture, like a previous poster said (unless it's in pristine condition and smells fine). Other than that, I'm open to anything as long as it is cleanable and in excellent condition.

I agree that shoes present a special ick factor but if the shoes are newish, I have no problem with it. I just clean them well and spray some antifungal spray into them before wearing and then we're good to go. I picked up a newish pair of Doc Marten boots for $30 at a consignment shop and was pleased as punch.

Amy Dascycian (sp?), the Queen of Frugal, consulted with a pediatrician and podiatrist on the subject of buying used shoes for children. She was told that there is no real issue with shoes being worn in by another foot. I cannot imagine this would be a serious problem for an adult especially.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post

Amy Dascycian (sp?), the Queen of Frugal, consulted with a pediatrician and podiatrist on the subject of buying used shoes for children. She was told that there is no real issue with shoes being worn in by another foot. I cannot imagine this would be a serious problem for an adult especially.
My podiatrist told me not to wear used shoes. Even in some of my regular shoes I have to wear custom-made inserts. Why risk it? You can't walk if your feet are badly injured. If other people can buy used and suffer no ill-effects then that is great for them, but I would rather not risk it.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:26 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,216,999 times
I knew of as guy that bought a pair of usesd false teeth for $1

It improved his appearance, but they fell on the ground when he tried to talk.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:41 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,940,984 times
For appliances and electronics: no longer supported by the manufacturer, making repairs difficult.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,653,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I draw the line at lingerie, underwear, and socks, and I also have a problem with upholstered furniture, like a previous poster said (unless it's in pristine condition and smells fine). Other than that, I'm open to anything as long as it is cleanable and in excellent condition.

I agree that shoes present a special ick factor but if the shoes are newish, I have no problem with it. I just clean them well and spray some antifungal spray into them before wearing and then we're good to go. I picked up a newish pair of Doc Marten boots for $30 at a consignment shop and was pleased as punch.

Agree, will not buy personal items of clothing. But have bought several nice rayon dresses at used clothing stores, as you cannot find them anymore new. Also enjoy going to the antique stores for wood furniture, books and jewelry. Will not buy upholstered furniture either. Rarely buy dishes or cooking utensils, though love to buy small sets of nice coffee/tea cups. Still have a set, need to clean them and start using!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living