Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 AM

84 posts, read 440,580 times

Advertisements

So I just got a bunch of semi-dwarf fruit trees (blood orange, lemon) and was planning to plant them alongside our back wall, with about 4-6 ft of space between the trees and wall.

Does anyone think that this will cause issues with our home foundation? Our house is on a concrete slab. We also got a fig tree, and I am aware of its invasive root system, so that is definitely not going anywhere near the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I know that when my aunt planted fruit trees near her house she was sorry she did cause she said they drew rats and other vermin so I would not plant anywhere near my house . I wish you luck .

Old 07-13-2010, 11:31 AM

357 posts, read 1,018,950 times
If that the only area you can plant, go for it. The root system of citrus tree not that massive. I love the smell the citrus trees blossom.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,567 times
My two cents, Before you buy or plant talk with your local nurseryman or Ag Extension office about the roots on these tree's ..We cut down an apple tree and are still fighting roots in the middle of our
yard..
Good luck

Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,655 times
I've got an apple and a pear tree in my back yard. The squirrels take some of the fruit but I've had no other problems with vermin. I agree with what Mamh wrote. For peace of mind, I think it is a good idea to talk to an expert about the root system and how far from the house is best.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll check with some experts, but I know that I won't even be thinking about planting any non-dwarf fruit tree near the house.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoosedn View Post
So I just got a bunch of semi-dwarf fruit trees (blood orange, lemon) and was planning to plant them alongside our back wall, with about 4-6 ft of space between the trees and wall.

Does anyone think that this will cause issues with our home foundation? Our house is on a concrete slab. We also got a fig tree, and I am aware of its invasive root system, so that is definitely not going anywhere near the house.
Planting trees such as citrus against a wall is a tactic those of us in colder zones use as the wall helps heat them in the winter. However, since you are going for blood orange and lemon, I assume you are in the Sunbelt. If so, then I reckon 4-6 feet is a more than adequate buffer. No worries. Watch out for roof rats though.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Planting trees such as citrus against a wall is a tactic those of us in colder zones use as the wall helps heat them in the winter. However, since you are going for blood orange and lemon, I assume you are in the Sunbelt. If so, then I reckon 4-6 feet is a more than adequate buffer. No worries. Watch out for roof rats though.
Yup, I am in San Diego, so no worries about frost of chill here . Although that wouldn't be a bad idea to get my oranges a little sweeter.

So I keep hearing about rats and fruit trees; are they a big fan of fruit trees? I never imagined rodents clambering through fruit orchards.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoosedn View Post
Yup, I am in San Diego, so no worries about frost of chill here . Although that wouldn't be a bad idea to get my oranges a little sweeter.

So I keep hearing about rats and fruit trees; are they a big fan of fruit trees? I never imagined rodents clambering through fruit orchards.
Yea roof rats are apparently big in your area and the rest of the sunbelt. I would do a bit of research. Obviously lots of people have fruit trees so I would think there are many countermeasures.

4 winds nursery sells frost covers for citrus. Its where I procured three trees.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:43 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,086 times
I put my Meyer lemon and Navel orange further out in the yard to let them get as much sun as possible. They're doing great for $10 flea market trees. The lemon tree already has about 20 lemons on it, the orange tree no fruit yet, but it's grown about a foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden