Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 PM

142 posts, read 571,208 times

Advertisements

I noticed some very small raised black dots/spots on the leaves of my petunias. They are easily scraped off and do not move. There are some holes in a few leaves but not near the black spots. I have only noticed them on my petunias even though I have marigolds and impatients in the same planter. Does anyone know what it could be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
I think you may find your answer at this link.

Annuals: Petunia pests, moth larvae, connecticut cooperative extension

Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times
I agree with Va-cat that looks like caterpillar excrement. They drop it from wherever they are chewing. I've had my battles with these critters. This time of year it would most likely be a hard to see green one, the Green Horn Worm. As the first buds form on the plants the next caterpillar to appear is the Tobacco Budworm (aka Geranium budworm) which tend to start out tan to green but take on the color of the flower they are eating. The best way to get rid of them is to find them (I need my reading glasses) and squish them. Next best is using Bt on them.

Tobacco (Geranium) Budworm

California Agriculture Online

Old 05-20-2016, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 21,694 times
Those are seeds. If you don't remove the flower heads after the bloom fades, it will go to seed. The seeds will often stick to the plant as shown. Always pinch off the hole flower heads for more beautiful and healthy petunias (don't just pull off the faded flower part

Old 05-20-2016, 10:27 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karijayne View Post
Those are seeds. If you don't remove the flower heads after the bloom fades, it will go to seed. The seeds will often stick to the plant as shown. Always pinch off the hole flower heads for more beautiful and healthy petunias (don't just pull off the faded flower part
Winner

Old 12-24-2017, 11:40 PM

15 posts, read 61,262 times
I have the same! Very frustrated. Did you find out what they are and how to get rid of them? they look like dirt and are only on my succulents, I even saw a few inside on one of my plants I made from a clipping that has not been around any other plants. Does this have something to possibly do with lady bugs, I saw a lady but on the plant inside... I have seen one or two on the succulents in the garage( it’s winter here). They don’t move, look just like specks or dirt. They are gross and I want it gone ASAP!

Old 12-24-2017, 11:44 PM

15 posts, read 61,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karijayne View Post
These are not seeds. It’s droppings or some type of insect. It gross and I really need help getting rid of this or what’s causing it. Anyone find a solution?

Old 12-25-2017, 02:53 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
They are petunia seeds. If they are on the leaves and you don't like the looks of them just brush them off with your fingers or a small dry paint brush.

pictures of petunia seeds. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ds&FORM=HDRSC2

You're supposed to be deadheading the spent petunia blooms before the seed pods ripen and spit their seeds out like that.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:00 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigep77 View Post
I have the same! Very frustrated. Did you find out what they are and how to get rid of them? they look like dirt and are only on my succulents, I even saw a few inside on one of my plants I made from a clipping that has not been around any other plants. Does this have something to possibly do with lady bugs, I saw a lady but on the plant inside... I have seen one or two on the succulents in the garage( it’s winter here). They don’t move, look just like specks or dirt. They are gross and I want it gone ASAP!

If you only have them on your succulents, what kind of damage do you have on your succulent leaves?

Whatever the black specks are on your succulents, just wash them off with water or brush them off with a dry brush.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden